Das Reboot and the Road to UEFA Nations League & EC2020

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Ger90, Jun 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Epitome990

Epitome990 Member+

Jun 27, 2013
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Austria
  2. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

nekkibasara and saj7866 repped this.
  3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think he will, as long as he can stay fit. My one hope with Kovac at Bayern is that he gets the players in top fitness and trains them how to tackle.

Ger90 repped this.
  4. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol, at Wenger for Germany suggestion when he basically misused Gnabry and then let him go. Saw so many Arsenal fans not happy about that. Next thing you know, 2 consecutive double digits season in 1BL.:p

yeah I do hope Kovac at least does something with his players. Fitness is key for sure, given we always have injury issues. Wasn't his Frankfurt team extremely aggressive from time to time?

5. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very aggressive in their pressing, and very fit (lots of high intensity sprints, even late in matches).

Ger90 repped this.
  6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    what's interesting is that his Frankfurt was one of the oldest 1BL teams last season.

7. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I do wonder what will happen in our midfield. If all of Thiago, Vidal, Sanches, and Rudy stay, then I worry about Goretzka and Rudy. Will they get enough play-time?

I suspect that Kovac will really like Tolisso, Vidal, and Sanches because of their athleticism and aggressive tackling.

Ger90 repped this.
  8. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not too worried for now. As Bayern have 3 competitions and rotations will happen.

Kovac also said this today, that Bayern needs more than one system of play as you can't play the same way vs every opponent.

nekkibasara repped this.
  9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    exactly what our team was missing save Brandt/Werner.:whistling:
    1013731739183845376 is not a valid tweet id

saj7866, Minttunator and nekkibasara repped this.
  10. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Is Hitzfeld an option to replace Loew?

Dieter Haman. Mentioned Streich, who I think is also a decent option

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

12. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    a part of me wants to keeps some of the old guard while another is like eh what the heck, let's axe all of them and rebuild from scratch with a new generation.

all the vets will be 30+ by EC2020, just feels like it might time to move on from the lot. Majority of them have won everything there is to win and they seem less into it.

How do you expect to perform well at WC2022 when you waste spots to the old guard in EC2020? The old guard will all be 32 (Kroos) and above in WC2022.

there is a reason as to why Lahm retired early from the NT, he knew that as he got older he wouldn't be able to perform as he did in his prime. Pretty much the same with Basti, Podolski, Merte all retired early to focus on extending as much as possible their club careers.

seems more fitting to use EC2020 for experience going into WC2022.

13. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Like I posted earlier, I honestly think the only one of the old guard that should be kept at least until the 2020 Euros is Marco Reus, as he can still play at a top level plus the fact that he's been deprived of the many trophies his contemporaries have enjoyed in the last five years was made clear during Germany's short-lived WC campaign as showed way more hunger than the rest of the team. Hummels said he will retire from professional football in 2020 and wants to end his career by winning the Euro.

Ger90 repped this.
  14. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    to be honest, I don't consider Reus an old guard, because he's barely played for Germany.

when I think old guard these are the guys who come to mind.
    Neuer, Hummels, Boa, Howedes (although hes likely already done with the NT), Khedira, Kroos, Muller, Ozil, Gomez

Keeping Reus or Gundo around is fine.

although guys like Plattenhardt and Draxler need to go. Hector playing in 2BL next season does nothing for the NT, it's a big negative. Our NT should never have 2nd division players on the squad. Which means we need a new LB post WC.

15. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Reus played in 2012 as well as the QM for 2014 and partially 2018.

16. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    one tournament before WC18 which was cut short, that's still barely in my eyes. There is a reason as to why he was desperate to make the WC as he kept missing tournaments. Same with Gundo who also only played in 2012 before 2018.

old guard to me is more about longevity with the NT over age.

17. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Plattenhardt the scapegoat now? Did he do badly?

Always think there were 5-6 worse players on the pitch n he’s always the guy to blame. The fact is, our core never play well n we blame players on the flanks

Oezil, Boateng, Draxler, Khedira n Muller should go. Some of them have no passion n no fire, some of them need more skills

Muller is nothing when he can’t score; Draxler hasn’t really developed at club level and wasted his talent;

Boateng has been injured too often in last few years, Khedira has no defensive discipline n aging ;

Oezil has many advocates, but I just think he’s overrated

18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no one ever made Plattenhardt the scapegoat. Let's not get into this debate all over again, just because you rate him highly doesn't mean others have to as well.

to me anyway, I know I know you won't agree.
    But he's not the answer to our LB issues, never was. And a new season with players getting fit again and others breaking through could be a chance for someone else. We need better players in all the position and the best ones as possible. Not decent at best players.

but there is no point in debating Plattenhardt since we will never agree about the guy.
    I don't think the older players who are almost 30+ will acquire new skill. I do like Muller, but we need fast players who can dribble on the wings and that's not him. Same issue with Draxler.

Khedira and Gomez need to retire just based on their ages, as well as Khedira's terrible performance, will also be 33 at EC2020. We don't need a slow 33 year old in midfield. They are both done.

Kroos is considering retirement, that says a lot about how he currently feels about the NT. While Boa and Hummels want to continue he's considering quitting.

feels like we need to be that Germany 2010 again, a team more fresh and full of energy and ambition. Instead of being an aging team.

19. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Loew had the chance of doing this pre tournament, once when we won the confed cup he had the perfect opportunity to blend the youngsters in the first 11 with some of the regulars, for me he wasn't capable of this integration of the players and to what style of play was required hence he just turned to the old guard and he hoped for the best, we looked a confused team lacking ideas never mind the intensity, all this came from loews body language, if he continues then I'm afraid were doomed, tite of brazil has proven if you're astute as a coach and have clear plan then time is of no essence

hava and Ger90 repped this.
  20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    issue with Low is favoritism and he's a very predictable coach.

integration failed because Low only saw the CC squad as being extra players to make up the squad numbers but his interest was always towards the old guard+ a few new players.

He should have done like you said the CC is the core+ old guard being there to make the XI stronger. And Draxler has no business any XI. Ridiculous as to how he drops Mustafi, Gotze, Schurrle but not Draxler.

a CC at the core, would likely have made the R16. Not sure why Grindel was like we were always going to rebuild post WC. Why not start the rebuild with the CC?

he also did not learn from France, Italy and Spain about how depending too much on the old guard is a disaster.

21. saj7866

saj7866 Member+

Dortmund
    Germany
    May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

22. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    tons of 1BL managers are supporting him to stay. Saw a report that said a close friend of his thinks he's likely to resign. Although no clue if it's true. Another who said that the odds on favorite for replacements is Kuntz.

but we all know the dfb wants him to continue. The only obstacle is Low's desire. Will he quit after the bomb/disgrace or will he get a desire for redemption and to try to rebuild? He did say that Germany needs Big changes like the ones from over a decade ago.

23. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I had a conversation with Ronny Zimmermann (DFB executive) last night

He said they also have a plan with or without Loew

And from his tune, looks like he isn’t one of Loews fans

Ger90 repped this.
  24. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Lahm should’ve continued this WC as well, playing RB for Kimmich so Kimmich could play DM

I have mixed feelings about Löw. I mean, he’s got Germany in semi finals every tourney since he took over. At the same time his tactics this WC was so scary bad that I genuinely believe I’d get Germany out of the group stage with just deciding the tactical formation

And if he continues, dude has to change his tactics
    I mean I’m positively surprised that he’s dropped the likes of Khedira, Özil, Müller for one game this WC...
    Mustafi, Höwedes, Götze, Schürrle left home
    Benched Draxler...

Ger90 repped this.
  25. Alex C

Alex C Member+

Oct 27, 2015
    Chatham
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Seems I deleted my earlier post, thought it was on wrong thread. Doh.

Anyway what I said before was that I don't neccesarily think all the older guys should be axed, but they should have to earn their place like everyone else. No more favouritism. If they are in great form for their clubs, why not select them?

This doesn't have to be a total rebuild that includes dumping every older player, some can still have a lot to offer and finding a good balance between young dynamic players and older experienced heads could be very useful. EC2020 doesn't need to be a write-off, why can't Germany be a strong contender? There is enough talent around to compete with most teams, it just has to be used properly with better tactcs..

saj7866 repped this.