Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    20 million was really high, so if they have a buy option considerably below that it wouldn't be surprising.

But it's not anywhere close to 2 million. They had a previous offer at 8 million, which they turned down. So it would have to be at least around 10.

People are making the wrong inferences about the CEO's quote.

2. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    his USMNT appearance was underwhelming for sure

but this is about his MLS play where he looked good/great at times....and put up good numbers over the season. Watch his MLS highlights and you will understand the interest in him.

Eighteen Alpha, Winoman and largegarlic repped this.
  3. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    That wouldn't lead me to believe that the buy option is $2 million just because that is Barnsley's record fee. I think we all know Orlando isn't going to let him go for that. Far less then $20 and far more then $2 I'd say.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    maybe barnsley are admitting while they are not going to do the buying and just will have 2 million upside in any potential sale?

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    This should be glaringly obvious.

Anderson11 repped this.
  6. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Available for selection on Saturday. Barnsley is the 9:55 am ET match on ESPN+.

7. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Wow. You got that exactly backwards. The surprising and exciting part is he slipped on a weird interpretation of WP rules to a situation that will likely propel his development. And that after a lackluster performance in a rec league game.

adam tash and dougtee repped this.
  8. WheezingUSASupport

Dortmund
    United States
    Aug 28, 2017
    I enjoyed watching him play in MLS. He shows moments of brilliance with a lot grit and determination in the box. There’s moments where he wins the ball where I never expected he would and other times where he loses the ball too easily.

He’s like a more aggressive Altidore, but maybe not the best way to describe him.

9. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a name I've not thought about in years. Dude was also 6'8" and tore American hearts out at the 06 world cup. If Dike could disappoint millions of Slovaks on the world stage, all would be equal and that would be cool :thumbsup:

RossD and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  10. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No kidding... I still remember him make Onyewu look small.

ttrevett repped this.
  11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    If Dike gives us an American Lukaku that would be awesome. Then we could focus on getting an American Jan Koller (or Peter Crouch).

Would love a 6-8 dude to nod in crosses against Lilliputian CONCACAF foes!

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. run_it_out

run_it_out Member+

Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 19, 2018
    I'd prefer a 5'7" forward with a 550 million euro club contract.

13. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    The rules allow for a team to have 11 players on the field at the same time, so it's theoretically possible to have both.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EPL clubs already sniffing around:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...dy-attracting-premier-league-interest-3123345

“When it became known that he was coming to us, there have been several Premier League teams who have reached out and said they are going to monitor him and they have him on their radar.

“We will see how that unfolds. But he was an unknown quantity because of his first year in the MLS and the MLS is getting more eyes on it.”

EXALIFTIN repped this.
  15. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Barnsley has a 33 yr old American CEO (Dane Murphy)? Crazy and so interesting, I want to know more about that.... American's really popping up everywhere in Europe now. From owners, management, coaches and players. I wonder what the Barnsley supporters think about all this?

16. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Gorky repped this.
  17. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also no rules against a player standing on the shoulders of a teammate. Got two 5'7" players? Boom, now they're 11'2"

gogorath and Winoman repped this.
  18. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Can you imagine what would happen if our best athletes played soccer AND we stacked them on top of each other?

19. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Barnsley CEO Dane Murphy also states that he believes Orlando turned down bids for permanent transfers from clubs in Belgium and Germany, and that Orlando's recall option is based on appearances and Orlando wanted it included in the loan to make sure Dike is getting games.

Anderson11 repped this.
  20. ChambersWI

ChambersWI Member+

Nov 10, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I believe to them as long as the team competes and gets better they're fine with whatever. Remember the team didn't get relegated because of the Wigan point deduction so for them to have a shot at thr promotion playoff this season? They'll probably take anything to make that a reality

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    An unplayable soggy pitch forces a postponement of today's Barnsley-Derby County match.

autobus39 repped this.
  22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to England!

Gorky repped this.
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001

24. JimLahey

JimLahey Member

Sheffield Wednesday
    United States
    Dec 25, 2020
    Dike, a lifelong Chelsea fan plays them today. Not many people can say say they’ve done that before. Pretty amazing stuff.

felloveranddidanadu and Winoman repped this.
  25. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BostonRed and Winoman repped this.