Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For $20m he better eat some people alive.

2. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m guessing the $20 million is more of a preventative value (like some buyout clauses). But also like some buyout clauses, it can unexpectedly be triggered. Especially in the crazy world of English football.

madvillain, superdave and gogorath repped this.
  3. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Cauley Woodrow, Barnsley's current striker, has been having a good season (9 goals in 19 appearances), and may be hard to unseat unless they're planning on going with 2 strikers or putting Dike on the wing or something.

ttrevett repped this.
  4. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Feels like it was a loan that came together quickly with an option that wasn't negotiated in detail. I'd imagine Orlando would be open to less, but wasn't willing to commit to an automatic buyout at lower levels.

5. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'm just puzzled why there's an option in there in the first place if nobody's expecting them to exercise it.

They could have just done what DC reportedly did with Arriola's loan and not included an option to buy, while signaling they would be willing to sell at the right price at the end of the loan depending on how things go.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  6. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the feeling he was too excited on his USMNT to do much of anything. It definitely seemed like everything he did was rushed; hopefully once he gets used to the stage he'll show some really positive things. I'd say his chance of being a smash hit and being a complete bust are about equal

7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Yes, although in Arriola's case ... the owners are the same people.

I do wonder if it has something to do with the work permit. Dike turns 21 near the end of the loan, and it gets harder to get one. I don't know exactly what that would be but it came to mind.

superdave repped this.
  8. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was pressing, and trying to do too much. I'm not writing him off until I see a lot more of him, and he gives good reason to write him off.

9. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he has the pace of that rugby player from Wolves, a guy the size of Dike ain't playing wing. He'll be a backup for their current striker, methinks.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So does Dike have to quarantine before he can practice and, if so, how long does that last in the UK?

11. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    What the ********!?

I admit I saw zero minutes of his MLS play. My reaction to his USMNT appearance was “horrible, but I hope to God he develops.” This is one of the most bizarre, interesting, and exciting YA develops since Weston to Juve.

ChicagoVT, adam tash and Eleven Bravo repped this.
  12. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    I’m more excited about the Number 10 designation (if true) than the reported 20m

13. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had 8 goals and 4 assists in just over 1200 minutes. That's a great rate, especially considering his age (19-20). And he was a hold-up monster, w/ significant deftness/flair.

Brugge were reportedly willing to pay 8 million Euros for an outright sale already. That's not crazy considering FCD got almost that much fore Reynolds off a similar sample while playing a much less sexy position.

He's obviously played against far superior comp than T&T in MLS. So it was likely playing it safe to preserve the transfer or debut nerves. He did struggle mightily his first couple bench appearances in MLS before getting a start and taking off.

He has the potential, if he realizes it, to net a transfer fee well above 20 million Euros. Chances are on the low side he'd get to the threshold already off this loan for Barnsley. But if he adjusts quickly to help Barnsley get shockingly promoted or they look at him as an asset to flip quick, it's not out of the realm of reason.

There's a couple strikers per season from the Championship who end up going for about $20m or more. And they were all older than Dike is. So we'll see.

largegarlic, gogorath and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know if he’s worth 20 million (yet), but a striker with the upside of becoming the next Romelu Lukaku, or Christian Benteke, -I don’t know if he’s as dominant in the air like a Jan Koller (but still in the same family of striker) i.e. someone who can just bully teams... I can see teams wanted to take a swing at him.

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #65 Sandon Mibut, Feb 2, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    I think Dike can be really good.

Not sure if he'll be Lukaku/Benteke good but if he's, say, half as good, he'd still be a pretty expensive player.

In 2015 Liverpool bought Benteke for $51 million. A year later, he was sold to Palace for $34 mill.

In 2014, Lukaku was sold to Everton from Chelsea for $39 million. In 2017, Everton sold him to Man United for $93 million and two years later they sold him to Inter for $81 million.

Again, I'm not saying Dike is as good, or as valuable, as Benteke and Lukaku, But, he is built similarly and plays the same position. And there is obviously a premium on strikers who are built like that. So $20 million for a 21-yo (Dike's age this summer) player who is half as good as Lukaku or Benteke still seems like a bargain.

So, if Dike scores a few goals for Barnsley, teams will be interested. And 20 mill will not seem unreasonable, even if it is unprecedented for an American MLS player.

Of course, all of this is just pie-in-the-sky until Dike shows he can perform in the Championship. But if he does...

Winoman, Eleven Bravo and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the emphasis on high pressing that has changed football tactics, a classic center forward who can hold the ball up is suddenly a hot commodity. If he can hold the ball up while chipping in a goal every 4-500 minutes, that's helpful, because if the defenders are under pressure they always have the option of just hucking it up to him.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  17. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I find it funny you are so surprised and excited based on seeing him play a total of 25 minutes (and all of that in a rec league game that was over long before he came in).

Anderson11 repped this.
  18. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    superdave and felloveranddidanadu repped this.
  19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof

Why?

It looks like the player who previously held it left a month or so ago.

Probably the lowest number available. The 10 shirt in the English game really doesn't mean much

20. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dane Murphy, the American who is CEO at Barnsley, provided more insight on the move:

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/spo...murphy-clarifies-daryl-dike-situation-3122334

Murphy told The Yorkshire Post: “It came up pretty late. The immigration policy has changed. Basically, he needed to enter the field for the US national team, so he could get in through immigration and he did that on Sunday night against Trinidad and Tobago. It was something (a move) we looked into, but did not really know if it was going to come off.

“He (Dike) is making his way here now and will do his immigration process at the border and then have a test and once that test comes back negative, he can be included in the group as he is going from bubble to bubble from the US national team bubble to the Barnsley Football Club bubble.

“Once he has a negative test and clears all immigration, he should be available.”

Murphy also confirmed that the club do have an option to buy the player permanently, but said that some social media talk about him having an astronomical buy-out - there have been some references to $20million - is way off the mark.

He said: “I will not go into detail. Some of the numbers bring thrown around are just silly season. There is a buy option and Orlando wanted a recall option in there."

ChicagoVT and Winoman repped this.
  21. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    That makes much more sense if the reporting on the buy-out figure is significantly off.

gogorath repped this.
  22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    if orlando is really at risk of getting only $2 million for dike than wtf are they doing

23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    We don't know that either. Some people on twitter are taking a comment -- that $20M is too high and that Barnsley's history is not that high -- and turning it into "Barnsley won't go above $2M". But I have yet to see a quote that says the option is actually within Barnsley's previous range.

Just like $20M didn't make sense, $2M doesn't make sense (unless there's a big sell on).

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    What leads you to believe the buy option is for $2 million?

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    It sounds like someone from the local paper at Barnsley spoke to their CEO and based on that conversation he believes the buy option is in line with Barnsley's previous transfers. But the only direct quote I'm seeing on that is this one below, which leaves a bit of wiggle room in my mind.