Daryl Dike at West Bromwich Albion

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Dec 30, 2019.

1. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It annoys me how much credit Corberan is getting. He had a -6 goal differential in his time at Huddersfield. In fact, he's had a negative goal differential in all his prior 4 stops - including somehow at Olympiakos.

This is the first time he's had a positive one, thus far. Before Corberan arrived, WBA were one of the best in the league in terms of XG differential. But they had poor finishing and shot-stopping. That's what the coach has the least to do with. Dike just got healthy, coinciding with Corberan's arrival. The goalkeeper switch actually happened before Corberan arrived.

2. ReynaRanger

ReynaRanger Member

Fulham
    United States
    May 23, 2021
    Three teams in three years and three successful stints full of chances created and goals scored. (I realize it's still a little premature for WBA, but that's certainly now the trajectory he's on.)

Really makes you wonder what this guy could do at a higher level.

3. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If he stays healthy we will learn next year. If WBA doesn't go up someone will pick up Dike anyway.

4. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    Not sure Horvath was to blame on his goal, I'd blame the moron #2 who kept Dike onside despite dike being 30 yards from him on the other side of the pitch.

If Horvath doesn't rush out, Dike is 1v1 with the keeper for an almost surefire goal.

Dervos, m vann, tomásbernal and 2 others repped this.
  5. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. I thought may Horvath could waited a half- second and been able to collect the ball with his hands in the box but…… Dike was on him quick and he’s a big ass dude. So I can’t blame the decision to try play the ball with his feet. Horvath was damned with either decision. The biggest crime was those two CB’s.

Dervos, The Irish Rover and tomásbernal repped this.
  6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't seen any all-touches videos (or anything more than singular clips) of Dike yet this season. I'd like to see the play where he hit the bar, for example. I don't know where to find them. Can anyone here help out and post them, if they exist?

7. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017

tomásbernal and freisland repped this.
  8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome! Thanks! I look for "extended highlights" on youtube these days and the only thing that comes up are those stupid video game re-enactments.

Header off crossbar at 3:30
    Goal sequence starts at 4:48
    Brom's 2nd goal sequence starts at 5:55--Dike has an important layoff for a blocked shot, the rebound of which is scored.

9. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's at the top when you search the match-up. Also, look for the check-marks. The Championship are good about posting highlights. Otherwise they're very restrictive.

He rose up well over the defender on the crossbar hit. But should have hit that lower on his head and scored.

But you neglected to mention that he also plays a significant part on the 3rd goal. His hold-up was beastly, turned his man, and arguably deserved a penalty (may have gotten it on review. He may have gotten it too had WBA not scored after they held it around the box.

Dike was a handful, it appears.

Dervos, Jumbalaya, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  10. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whenever he plays reasonably well the defense has to put at least two players on him due to his physicality (this is the EFL) and that opens up chances for his mates.

11. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Horvath started well but can’t be happy with his performance after that.

12. Jumbalaya

Jumbalaya Member+

Apr 27, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Definitely getting Barnsley's miracle playoff run vibes from WBA's form the last few weeks. The obvious difference is WBA has way more talent all over the pitch and Dike doesn't need to carry the attack on his back as he did with Barnsley.

13. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    You have 2 seconds, ID Dike or die.

[​IMG]

He's a beast. Stay healthy please. He could be our guy for 2026.

RossD and Winoman repped this.
  14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    It's just wrong we have to watch two of our guys in those Mardi Gras colors tho. For a second I was looking for Sarge.

15. Lance90

Lance90 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    2024 Olympics first

16. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless he's an overage player, he's too old

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    And if he's on track to be the 2026 starter, I'd expect him to be at the Copa America over the Olympics anyway.

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Unless I'm reading it wrong, WBA appear to be starting zero of the same players who started on the weekend for today's FA Cup replay against Chesterfield (a fifth tier National League side), perhaps prioritizing their Friday match against first place Burnley. It appears Dike is not on the bench, either.

madvillain, RossD and Anderson11 repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Honeymoon is over.

20. madvillain

madvillain Member+

Aug 28, 2011
    Club:
    Brooklyn Knights
    WBA don't give half a ******** about this game. In fact, as I posted earlier, there are probably some in management that would prefer to just lose.

Going to a cup final is like a 2 million bonus and maybe a bit of prestige. Going to the EPL is about a 150 million bonus and a massive prestige boost.

adam tash and freisland repped this.
  21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Yeah, I was be a dink/sarcastic/witty/dumb/snide/annoying. (depending on your POV)

madvillain repped this.
  22. Lance90

Lance90 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    On track for the US is to win an international tournament at any level instead of pretending that we even have a clue as to who the WC starting 11 should be 4 years from now.

How about we start there?

madvillain repped this.
  23. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the nature of credit earned and bestowed in soccer is quite erratic generally imo

a lot of long lasting names are made in short spurts of success

madvillain repped this.
  24. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's a U-23 tournament that almost no one gives a shit about globally.

If the women do well, awesome! It's important! If the college-aged men do, cool, it's kind of fun!

But I, and 99% of people watching the games, will primarily be watching the men's Olympic sports that people care about and not an aged-up youth soccer tournament.

25. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    The dozens of us here care and that’s what matters

Ive never forgiven Kljestan for jumping in the wall against the Netherlands