Darryl Powell

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by rapidfan, Jun 5, 2003.

1. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    When Darryl Powell gets on board, is the plan for him to compete with Beckerman for a starting position in the central midfield ?

2. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I don't know but...

I think all the mids should be concerned about being replaced. I don't think anyone of them has performed so well that they should not have to compete. I think Pablo has played the best, but he gets caught and gives up way to many fouls. Chung finally had a very good game but who knows if it will continue. Still waiting for Hendersen to break out and Beckerman has shown promise but the catch-22 is he won't become the player of the future if you don't play him today, but if he's the odd man out then.....

I would bring him in and make it known the midfield slots will be filled by players who perform the best, seniority won't cut it.

Like I said, I don't know.

3. phills

phills Member

Nov 24, 1999
    right now it seems like powell won't even have to fight for a spot because of the money that they are paying him!maybe that is why they are thinking of trading someone... since they brought him in without a trial one would think he is our savior and will play (when he is ready) don't think this is fair but

4. chazz

chazz New Member

May 28, 2003
    Powell

I agree with you. There is no way he'll be fighting for a spot,and there is no way Chung or Henderson will be sitting either,they're shoe-ins[ IMHO]. Regardless of their performances. Beckermen has been given alot of opportunity thus far to shine and he hasn't risen to the occasion. Sooo,we'll see.

5. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    When is his debut?

6. greenie

greenie New Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Re: Powell

While I agree that Hankinson will go with a midfield of Chung-Powell-Pablo-Hendo if all are available, I disagree with your assessment of Beckerman.

I thought he had an excellent game against LA. He both distrbuted and carried well, won 50-50 balls and won more 1v1 chances than he lost. That the Rapids had so many chances and were able to spread out the Galaxy defense should largely be credited to the jobs that Beckerman did in the center of midfield.

Not to mention, Pablo was also involved in the attack on many occasions and you didn't see Beckerman getting horribly beat by Galaxy midfielders on a counterattack.

Has Beckerman been a star this year? No. But I've seen improvement in the guy each time he plays, and any coach (well, except Hankinson) will confirm that the toughest thing to give a young kid is match confidence.

I'm not aware of any young players in MLS that have been able to step into a central midfield role and have an instant impact. Certainly we've seen this with wing players, but playing in the middle of the park is a very difficult task to do well.

While Beckerman hasn't distinguished himself as a magician in the middle, he hasn't distinguished himself as a waste of space, either.

And I can think of a lot more players who have played in our central midfielder who have fared far, far worse -- including many of our experienced international veterans.

7. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why the Rapids can't have 5 midfield options. People are going to need rests, recovery time. So carry 5 starting mids and rotate them depending on their form. If a trade is made I hope it is to shore up the D.

8. danjo

danjo New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Everyone critiques beckerman as if ALL the other players are playing to the best of their ability. There are three all-stars around him who haven't had "allstar " performances in some of the games. As All-stars they should be stepping up. When they aren't playing like all-stars they should sit and let other play . I hope there is competition for playing time when Powell comes.

9. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because we'd have to sit another forward, or rely on only 3 defenders. We can barely hold the back with 4.

10. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Bueller....Bueller....

11. joeyclams

joeyclams Member

Apr 16, 2001
    Denver, CO
  12. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, maybe I should clarify my point. I was saying have 5 mids who can start, not switch to a 5 mid formation. Rotate the 5 through based on who's in the best form, etc.

13. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's coming off an injury and will not, or should not, get the start when he arrives. I'm looking forward to Zizi's return more.

14. gschroeder

gschroeder Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Thornton, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Perhaps we should be optimistic. Maybe Powell will come in and give the team something we're missing. I've never seen the guy play and hadn't heard of him until the Rapids started looking at him, but he could be a good aquisition. Especially with strikers like CC and Zizi. They'd actually be considered scoring threats if we has a decent distributing mid. Imagine a Valderamma that runs. A bonus would be if he stuck around for more than 2 years.

So with that said, don't screw up my optimism.

15. rapidfan

rapidfan Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Distributing Mid

If Powell turns out to be even close to a " Valdorama that runs" we'll be in good shape.

16. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    "don't screw up my optimism"

I share your optimism. As far as you never seeing him play, I suspect most of us either haven't or don't remember, as I believe he was here with his Derby team a few years back. Of course that doesn't stop people from drawing conclusions on how the acquisition will work out.

I am curious where he will play. I'm going to guess Beckerman is the odd man out. Of course, he could end up alongside Rizo on the bench.

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All I have heard about Powell is that he isn't the hardest working guy around. Wasn't there a post on here by a fan of Derby or Shefield Wednesday who said Powell doesn't run.

18. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw optimism. I'm skeptical. Powell has spent most of his career in the English 1st Division, which is notoriously known for unnattractive, poorly played football. He has little Premier League experience. Also, he's 32 and a Jamaican international with Premier League experience, but only has 11 appearances for the Reggae Boyz? Perhaps, there's a logical explanation, but it seems to me he would be a mainstay for the Jamaican national team. Even if he's low on the not very deep depth charts, 11 caps is awfully low. I can't see him panning out well. From all reports, he was reluctant to sign for the Rapids and play in MLS. Can't we find a second-rate midfielder elsewhere that actually wants to play?

19. danjo

danjo New Member

Apr 14, 2003
    once again.. Hankinson basically has chung playing in the middle and outside. he lets chung go wherever... if he wanted attacking mid someone would be playing it now....at times chung is a hog and wants to do everything / so he looks like the attacking mid. if he would stay wide we might get more through balls ...

20. Gamblor

Gamblor New Member

May 17, 1999
    Re: Distributing Mid

I can't agree with this. If Hankinson is still the coach then the Rapids will be in trouble no matter who the players are. It's clear that the problems with the Rapids all originate from Hankinson.

Bringing in Powell is a huge mistake, IMO. All they've done is completely handcuffed whatever coach will eventually take over for Hankinson after the Rapids lose their next 5, 7, 10, whatever.

Now the new coach has no Cap space and no allocation to work with. Stick a fork in the season, it's over.

21. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    "unnattractive, poorly played football"

He'll fit right in with the Rapids then (sorry, just letting off steam)

22. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, man. And Powell could barely crack the starting eleven at Derby. I still cling to foolish ideas that MLS is above European lower divisions. However, teams like our Rapids continue to suggest otherwise.

Am I allowed to be a MetroStars fan?