Darlington Nagbe

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Hard to say. We partially turned the page directly as the post-COUVA era commenced.
    [With McKennie and Adams getting their first caps against Portugal. With 22-year Kellyn Acosta being the veteran of the group.] By the time we reopened after COVID, we'd essentially completely turned over the midfield to the newer generation. Once in a blue moon a guy like Yueill would get a token filler callup.

That's not to say it couldn't have happened. I really like Nagbe.

But he's one that started the two most devastating losses of that 2018 cycle. He started the horrible home loss to Costa Rica and the terrible away loss to T&T. Also the damaging draw against Honduras. But for some reason folks blame others. Others like Bradley who actually had better qualifying campaigns than Nagbe.

I'm not blaming Nagbe, simply stating a fact. He was a part of that debacle.

Jazzy Altidore and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  2. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Nagbe both opted out of moves to Europe and out of the National Team, by pretty much every account that I've seen.

He's very good in a very specific role, but I honestly don't see anything he gives us that Musah doesn't, and then some. He's extremely ball secure and basically nothing else. He's not the same player as Luca, but he doesn't solve any of Luca's weaknesses, either -- Luca's not great in the final third, but Nagbe is notorious for being pointless there. Darlington has always been at his best protected by runners around him and strong defenders -- de la Torre can struggle on defense with size and speed ... but Nagbe isn't the answer to that.

He's got better ball control, and Luca is far faster on the break and IMHO, has a better through ball that he's much more likely to use. If there's a substantial quality difference in favor of Nagbe, I don't see it, but unlike someone like Kellyn Acosta or Tim Tillman, I don't see a stylistic argument as a variant in the midfield.

I think Nagbe is at his best protected on defense but also in the center of a team with possession players. He's better for some teams than de la Torre, but I don't think the USMNT is that team right now, either. Except maybe against teams sitting way back ... and then you don't really need him.

gomichigan24 and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  3. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a similarity between Nagbe's play and that of Claudio Reyna (Gio's father)?

TrueCrew repped this.
  4. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not really. Old Reyna was a deep lying play maker, an excellent passer with good ball control but wasn’t going to trick dribble by anyone. Old Reyna also was much better at goal contributions.

Yowza repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, and he was a part of the disaster. Bizarre memory holing.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Anyway, I see the debate as similar to those that wanted to bring a guy like Bedoya back at the start of the 2022 cycle.

Yes, we could have. Yes, he'd have had value.

....................but we chose to move forward with the new generation. And those guys did deliver.

I personally think our big problem in the 2022 cycle was the forwards and where the goals were going to come from. Not the midfield. I thought the midfield was one of the real strengths of the 2022 cycle. So the whole debate about the older generation doesn't really motivate me in any way. We were fine and we are fine. Forward looking.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  7. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    There was an interesting quote from Ilie Sanchez when he became an American citizen. He was asked about the possibility of playing for the United States.

"If soccer brings me there, I would be very, very proud and excited about the opportunity," Ilie said. "But at the same time, I also think the US national team, their strongest line on the field it's probably the midfield, right? It's difficult for that to happen."

I agree with both you and Ilie.

Barcelona to US citizen: LAFC's Ilie Sánchez celebrates "amazing" journey | MLSSoccer.com

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's right.

Of course, we have domestic camps and such that spread a wider net. We had a Gold Cup "B" team in 2021 and 2023. We called up like...................Jackson Yueill to the 2023 Gold Cup squad.

So yes, Darlington could clearly have been part of the extended USMNT pool. As Bedoya could have been in 2019. Maybe even some A team appearances as guys like McKennie, etc. did go thru injury and suspension. Adams is never fit.

But Darlington DIDN'T WANT TO BE. That's sorta key, right? DARLINGTON DIDN'T WANT TO BE. That's apparently what got us in this position with Darlington in the first place. That Klinsmann saw him as a squad depth player and not a key starter.

Some guys like Roldan or Sean Johnson are willing to travel all around the world with the USMNT to sit on the bench. Sometimes make a 9 minute cameo. Other guys won't do that. They'd rather spend that time with their families. Darlington strikes me as that kind of family man, and that's great.

50/50 Ball repped this.
  9. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle probably would have been the number 1 seed in the West in 2021 and 2023 if Roldan didn't miss 6 games at the Gold Cup each year. It's a legitimate sacrifice for him and the people who pay his salary. Not everyone is willing to do it.

Pegasus repped this.
  10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was playing wide in those days, IIRC.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good post. But Nagbe essentially makes presses futile. That is his superpower. Much more so than LDLT or Musah. He will also score a banger from distance from time to time. He's won Goal of the Year twice. Got one from distance vs Atlanta in the POs. Musah or LDLT will not.

Certainly older now, but still more athletic than LDLT and can still drive the ball forward. Not near Musah's range.

But it is moot as he hasn't accepted calls recently.

12. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for the bolded. I will say that Musah seems like he may end up scoring some long-range bombs from time to time. If LDLT ever does it would be a happy surprise. I don't think Musash will score fewer than Nagbe, anyway (though, with Nagbe's skilled touch, if he took chances more often he'd probably have some more amazing goals to his credit).

13. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Musah and Nagbe are very similar players at opposite ends of their spectrums. If Nagbe had Musah's athletic ability, he'd be on the top, top level. Likewise of Mush had Nagbe's technical ability, top, top level. But all in all, Musah would seem to be the heir apparent to Nagbe and man, if he could develop the parts of his game that he lacks, and that Nagbe excels in (while also adding a killer final action that both players lack, heh) he'll be the lynchpin of the USMNT midfield

14. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Nagbe easily has Musah's athletic ability. Nagbe simply did not have the ambition. Also, Musah lack's Nagbe's attacking game. Musah is more of an 8/6. The 8 part of his game is more developed than the 6. Nagbe is an 8/10.

15. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Roldan very much appreciated the chance to play in both those tournaments. Particularly winning in 2021 and playing a large role along the way. And in the end he did get to go to the World Cup so I doubt he has any regrets.

Nagbe is a bit unique in terms of not really having any interest. There’s very few players in recent history who have felt that way.

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the thing is a guy like Johnson isn’t just willing to do so, he very much wants to do so. Just watch the video from when Berhalter told him he made the team. It meant a ton to him even though he knew he was unlikely to play at all.

17. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    When was the last time he turned down a call from the national team?

18. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nagbe reportedly declined callups multiple times in 2019 under Berhalter, including to the Gold Cup.
    Report: Atlanta United mid Darlington Nagbe turns down USMNT call-ups | MLSSoccer.com

That column indicates mutual respect between the two.

Darlington barely ever comments on the matter, but did in 2021 in this column. I think column does a good job of laying out the situation. Berhalter and USMNT staff seemed to want Darlington, but he wasn't interested.
    Darlington Nagbe & the USMNT: Why the Crew star will be watching, not playing, vs. Costa Rica | MLSSoccer.com

I’m talking about Darlington Nagbe, the three-time MLS Cup winner and 25-times-capped USMNT alumnus who, according to multiple reports (including my own), declined multiple call-ups in 2018 and 2019 to focus on his club duties and family life. And on Tuesday he said he hasn’t reconsidered, even as he continues to perform at a high level for the Columbus Crew with a skill set that looks perfect for the No. 8 role in Berhalter’s usual 4-3-3 formation.

“I haven’t thought about it at all. I’m at peace,” Nagbe, now 31, told reporters as his team prepares for Saturday’s visit from Inter Miami CF (6 pm ET | MLS LIVE on ESPN+). “I'm enjoying the time with my family. I’m exactly where I want to be, here in Columbus. I haven’t given much thought to it at all.”

tomásbernal and IndividualEleven repped this.