Darlington Nagbe

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by xbhaskarx, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s in no way definitely better than LDLT. At center mid we have MMA, Reyna, Tillman, Aaronson, LDLT, Cardozo ahead of him. And he’s too old with a skill set that isn’t effective against decent teams.

2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe can’t defend, pass, or shoot. Other than that he’s alright.

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe is the type of guy who excels against mediocre competition but doesn’t have a skill that would let him succeed at a higher level. He wouldn’t sniff playing time in La Liga because of his passing and he isn’t physically gifted enough to compete in the premier league.

MarioKempes repped this.
  4. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    On the contrary, I'd find that debate decidedly uninteresting.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    As far as we know, its Nagbe's choice not to be part of the national team program.
    So, the whole point is moot.

I have enormous respect for Nagbe's game.

I also think we have a good new generation of central midfielders, and we have more clearly on the way.

russ and Namdynamo repped this.
  6. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But somehow every team he is on becomes better. He must be doing something right.

He organizes possession in the midfield. He controls tempo. In many ways he is like Tim Ream who almost everyone put down before the WC. Nagbe's "team" skills are very good, while his "individual" skills are mediocre.

7. Yowza

Yowza Member+

DC United
    United States
    Oct 23, 2019
    Arlington
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a coach values a guy who can receive the ball in tight spaces, keep it and move it to a teammate, that coach loves Nagbe because he is the best at that. If a coach wanted that and more, he’s not that guy generally and will be disappointing.

8. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it’s an academic conversation since the guy has no interest, but he’ll be 34 next summer and 36 the summer of 2026. Even if he’s never had an injury before he’s very likely he’ll lose a step and not be the same player by then. It happens to everyone and very much a huge risk at that age (and honestly I worry about the same from Tim Ream). And the last thing we want is for that to get exposed at the World Cup.

I think he’s a better player than LDLT today. But I also think he won’t be one our best midfielders come 2026.

I would have loved to have had him last cycle though.

Mr Martin, tefftlon and Yowza repped this.
  9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the national team, which he did no make better.

Pegasus repped this.
  10. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He seems to have different soccer DNA than the other players. He is completely team focused. We do not have enough of those players. Maybe the previous nat coaches did not value that?

11. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    It was never about what he can do, always about what he can't do. A club views that differently than a national team. Klinsmann understood, Arena didn't.

Yes, Nagbe sure wins a lot in the league. He must be doing something right.

MarioKempes repped this.
  12. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea what this means

13. laxcoach

laxcoach Member+

United States
    Jul 29, 2017
    intermountain west
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He belongs in MLS. It's the level he can excel at. And he's well aware of that it seems to which is a sign of a strong self awareness. Like Morris, they love where they're at and are paid handsomely.

14. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Actually Morris is likely to leave for tougher competition. Which would be a point of significant differentiation.

Morris should be the guy we are discussing post MLS Cup. He actually has a chance to grow into a important national team player.

Namdynamo and Yowza repped this.
  15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't call Nagbe but where'd you get the idea he's not a good passer? He's very accurate if not very exciting. Mush played a ton in La Liga and is a notably inaccurate passer.

16. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing wrong with working where you want. If Nagbe had been interested, he could be a World Cup veteran like Jordan Morris.

dspence2311 repped this.
  17. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nagbe gives you nothing defensively. At 33, that's a risk too far.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  18. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Nagbe's skillset is effective against ANY team. Whether his skillset is what the USMNT needs is for debate. But the dude continues, at 33, to play really frickin well. And shows no signs of slowing down.

19. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    The national team was a freaking disaster during the period he was playing. It would be worth while to see him play in a game model that actually suits him instead of judging him based on whatever the hell Klinsmann was doing.

You say he can't pass, but ball retention and circulation are where he excels. That takes physicality, too.

20. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The nats possession sequences do not last long. Weakest part of their game.

21. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nagbe also got paid $1.8 million this year.
    He seems to really want to be part of MLS, and they're paying him to be there.

It's hard to know what his place in the USMNT structure would have been in the 22 cycle.
    Could he have made it? I guess so. Its not clear, though.

22. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he'd been a good soldier since 2019, I imagine he'd have made the team but it's all imagination.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch Musah every week at AC Milan. He's been a pretty good passer there, although somewhat like Nagbe his final ball isn't there yet. And he is proven at a much higher level than Nagbe. Musah is also an adequate defender (unlike Nagbe) and way more athletic. If Nagbe was playing at a higher level with much less time and space, his accuracy would drop way down.

24. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not lately. Our possession sequences have been weak, but because we just spray the ball around aimlessly before settling for a low-percentage cross into the box without a true number 9.

25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You think Nagbe would be effective against Manchester City and Real Madrid...ok...that's quite the hot take. I guess you can say that because he has never sniffed the field against any top team in a real competition.