Danny Califf for Center Back?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Marquis de Sage, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Marquis de Sage

Marquis de Sage New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Does anyone remember watching the Confederations Cup in 2003 and worrying about our future at defense with the likes of Danny Califf and a less than stellar Berhalter. How amazing is it that in just over a year we've seen the emergence of Gibbs and Bocanegra into starters or near starters, the arrival of Gooch and hopefully Marshall, and Spector, Karbassiyoon, Simek, and Whitbread in the pipe (who knows if they'll ever get there).

The same can be said of D-mid. From the game against Uruguay two years ago to now we've seen Mastroeni and Zavagnin and the prospect of Clark, Dempsey (if not at attacking mid), and Szetela.

I'm not one to get overly excited, but the culmination of MLS signing young players and Bradenton really has improved our prospects in little more than a year.

2. Bajoro

Bajoro Member+

Sep 10, 2000
    The Inland Empire
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, and it just goes to show all our projections and speculation about the '06 roster is just another silly way for BigSoccer posters to continue neglecting their families, jobs, military obligations, booty calls, etc.

3. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    yep
    I'm neglecting it right now
    don't have any but I would
    If you're coming on to BigSoccer(not 'you' per se) instead of gettin' some...

4. forza inter

forza inter Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Middletown, ct
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to answer the question of the topic: no

for a few reasons, but simply no

forza inter

5. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well yea, i'd call spector in right now before Califf :)

6. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Califf just seems way down along the pecking order.

If the subject had been brought up a year or two ago, then maybe he has an outside chance. But right now, maybe a camp player, at best.

Califf is a serviceable MLS player and for the Galaxy at present, but maybe a "C"-team player internationally.

7. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    With the development of some of the others, his time with the Nats looks to be about over, but who knows, maybe he'll surprise everyone next year. I'll be VERY surprised.

8. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I think you can throw Danny Califf into the Kreiss/Twellman/Razov bin.

9. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    If Danny - or for that matter, Ante and Taylor in their positions - was as fundamentally sound as Jason Kreis, he'd be one helluva defender because he does have physical ability, something that Kreis lacks for the international level compeitition.

10. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Jason doesn't have good physical skills any more. But aside from Mathis (maybe Preki), no one has been able to whip in free kicks better. And Jason has shown very good athletic ability on headers.

But Kreis, 'Te ( :) ) and TT all do generally fall into the poacher category, which isn't ideal at the NT level. But all three belong more at this level than Califf, at least given the fact that Pope/Gibbs/Boca/Berhalter is stronger than any striker group you could name for us. Plus, he has continual hair issues :)

(P.S. The clock is ticking on how long it takes for all of the TT groupies to chime in about how TT isn't merely a poacher, but the complete player...)

11. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    I'm thinking more along the lines of "Thanks, for the effort, we'll get back to you". They had their chance to impress, but failed.

12. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

OK who had the over/under on 15 minutes ?

Wait a sec... I never said Taylor was a "complete player". I just said calling him a "poacher" is not quite correct. Taylor doesn't have the speed or the 1 v 1 ability to be a "complete striker". What he appears to have (but has not yet shown on the International level) is the ability to finish chances at a relatively high rate.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Gotcha.

As a tertiary subject, I think Jason Kreis would make a pretty darn good striker/forward coach because he understands the game mentally very well and has excellent technique.

By comparison, Califf reminds me of Alexi Lalas's covering the wrong passing lanes. This is not to suggest in any way, shape of form, however, that Danny's hair is inferior to Alexi's or that their singing voices are similar or that Califf would see Italy as anything but the tourist.

14. ILLAB

ILLAB New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    Cap the orange traffic cone!

15. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alexi is slow of foot, but that is it. His IQ, soccer or otherwise, would put almost everyone here to shame.

16. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think you guys give Califf enough props...If Agoos had a place in Arena's team before, then dammit, there should be a slot available for Califf now.

17. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    His lack of foot speed doesn't sufficiently explain his thoroughly mediocre career.

18. andrewt14

andrewt14 Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Atlanta
    Wow, your standards must be much higher than mine.

http://www.soccertimes.com/usteams/roster/men/lalas.htm

Lalas played for the US in the World Cup and Olympics.

He played for Padova in the Italian Serie A and scored three goals during the 1994-95 season, including winning goals vs. AC Milan and Inter Milan

19. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    lalas rise to usmnt team was earned duing his play in copa america 1993 in equador...

milutinovic took a B squad down there, looking for guys to step into selected roles he had in peculiar style of play....

lalas showed the ability to win everything in the air...

sure, if usa was gonna come out and not bunker, his footspeed would be a liability....

remember defensive options back then included john doyle!!

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Yes, and I still remember him playing Bebeto onside in the 1994 WC.