Danning Given All Clear

Discussion in 'Australia' started by cmedina1983, Aug 20, 2009.

1. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Well its not like it wasn't justified! ;)

Good luck to the kid! :)

3. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
  4. viper1627

viper1627 New Member

May 30, 2009
    sutton coldfield
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Amazing how the FFA go and beg Fifa to bend the rules to get this boy to play for Australia , and on the offer hand are so determanded to enforce Fifa rule about international transfer of u18s players to overseas clubs .

bunch of hypocrites .

5. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Maybe you ought to read into the backing story a bit more before thinking you know the reasons why this has happened. Kofi Danning, unlike most internationally transferred youth players, did not come to Australia simply for football. He came here to have a better life at a very young age.

The difference between Danning and other scenarios you have in mind is simple:

Danning didn't come to this country to play football for the country. He came here to start a better life, and football became part of that life very much later on.

6. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Well i don't like the U18 overseas club thing either. So many of our current internationals came from going to Europe under the age of 18, now the FFA want to monopolize everything and make every youngster come through the A-League which is terrible. The A-league is not ready to be doing any things of the sort.

The most talented kids should be able to go to Europe to hone themselves in the best environment possible, not being used as pawns by the FFA.

It's probably the biggest thing i dislike about the FFA is how they want to control everything which is understandable to an extent but prizemoney sharing between clubs, this new u18 rule, single entity-esqued kit arrangements - infact the clubs aren't even allowed to choose what colour they want to be as the FFA choose it. It's borderline communism.

7. cmedina1983

cmedina1983 New Member

Nov 14, 2008
    California
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The under 18 ruling reminds me of something that Brazil adopted and still have in place. It prevents younger players from being poached by overseas clubs and keeps talent at home for a longer period of time. The only downside to that is the A-League isn't anywhere near as strong as the Brazilian league.

8. viper1627

viper1627 New Member

May 30, 2009
    sutton coldfield
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I have nothing against Kofi Danning playing for Australia , but i have a great problem with the FFA and the way they are treating the youth of Australia . These boys are not offered anything football wise in Australia ,unless you are 1 of the lucky 28 that make the AIS ,and yet if they get an oppotunity overseas they do everything in their power to prevent it , without out supplying an alternative .

Even with the national youth league , this only supplies another 100 places across 10 teams , not much of an oppotunity when the age is from 16 to 20 .

If the FFA wants the youth to stay until 18 , maybe they should limit the amount of overseas players allowed in each squad in the aleague , as they are also taking alot of the availiable positions which our kids could take .

Currently cases lodged with the FIFA players status commity which will challenge what the FFA is doing .

9. thedukeofzill

thedukeofzill Member

Oct 23, 2008
    Melbourne
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who of our current internationals went to Europe under the age of 18?

I'm not an expert on players careers, so please correct me if i'm wrong, but most of the current national team either started in the NSL, or left overseas at 18 years of age, in which case the rule wouldn't apply to them. (i'm unfamiliar with the rule, do you have a link?)

I'm fairly certain that only Kewell left at a young age (15). Emerton was also offered a contract at Leeds, but had visa issues so he didn't leave Australia until he was about 20. Playing in the NSL for a few years didn't seem to hold back his development.

I couldn't agree more, I think clubs are allowed 4 or 5 overseas players, which is far too much. 2 overseas players are enough, considering the small size of the league. If clubs want a third overseas player, they should come from Asia/Oceania.

The FFA should also look at the players gaining citizenship so they can qualify as a local player. I know Brebner and Smeltz have both done this, and neither player is eligible for the Australian team. Jonas Salley did it as well, but he came to Australia as a refugee (I think), and would play for Australia if selected.

10. mirage861

mirage861 New Member

Jun 7, 2008
    I thinks there's a bit of misconception here. From what I understand, kids under 18 are still allowed to go overseas if they are accompanied by a guardian and if documented proof could be provided proving that the kid's interest's within and outside of football are catered for. I'm not too sure what guideline the FFA are using regarding the documented proof since I couldn't be arsed looking that deep into it, but right now I can assure you people there are still under 18 year olds overseas. Off the top of my head Rhy William's younger brother's both 15 are currently with Burnley and Aston Villa respectively. The tow of them are currently living with their Father, while their mother is still here in Aus.

PS. Rhy's father has an English passport which may have made the process easier as well. Not too sure.