Danish League

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by gousa9, Jan 29, 2005.

1. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Hi guys,

I was hoping a few of our European friends can help me out with some info/links.

One of Team Canada's players will be in Denmark this weekend to check out one of the teams in hopes of joining them for half a season (until June). It should be a "done deal", but I'm waiting to hear confirmation.

With that said, I am curious if there were any sites about the Danish league that I could educate myself with. English sites would be preferred, but Danish will be fine too, as I can throw it into a translator to get a gist.

Also, in comparison to the other leagues in Europe (ie. in Norway, Sweden etc.), what is the quality of play in Denmark like in comparison?

Thanks!

2. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    I use this site, http://www.dame-fodbold.dk/html/elitedivisionen.html, to keep up with news from the danish league and this: http://www.dbu.dk/sr/positionDetailed.aspx?poolid=14539, to find the current standings. Both sites are danish only. To be honest there isn't really much to check, Brøndby dominates and has been completely dominating for a couple of years with Fortuna Hjørring as only real competitor. If it isn't one of these clubs your Team Canada player is going to, I think I would advise against taking the offer.

The danish women's club scene is generally speaking smaller than that in Norway and Sweden - fewer good teams, more amateurish in resources and organisation (e.g. it's almost impossible to get any spectator figures at all). The danish side always loses when they encounter a swedish or norwegian team in the Women's Cup.

But they are moving in the right direction and the danish FA's successfull attempts to strengthen the women's national team also effects (some of) the clubs. There are some quality players on the national team and most of them play in Denmark, and most of those with Brøndby.

3. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    By the way, could this by any chance be about goalkeeper Taryn Swiatek? I heard from an entirely different direction that an agent was looking for clubs in Europe on her behalf.

4. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Thanks for the info Dandal. Much appreciated!
    The player I'm talking about is not Taryn, but I too have heard talks that she might be going back to Europe. She played for a few months last year with Fortuna Hjørring when their keeper got injured.

The player I was referring to in my post is somebody totally different and yes, she's visiting one of those two teams you've mentioned in your first post.

Thanks again!

5. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    If you only count very recently yes, but Hjørring was in the Final (only team besides Umeå and Frankfurt that have been) in the 2002-2003 cup by beating Trondhiem in the quarter (and Arsenal in the semi).

6. nadineGerm

nadineGerm New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    Germany
    I agree with Dandal, I think, he wrote the important main facts.
    Denmark is a quite small country, so as Dandal says - fewer players, fewer good players, fewer clubs etc.

I've seen some indoor games of Danish teams (esp. of Brøndby IF) and I think, they play quite good, fast and good technical soccer. But in comparison to Swedish or teams from Norway they still have to improve a bit.

Besides the National players of Brøndby the Danish squad also has a Merete Pedersen (playing in Italy w/ Torres Terra Sarda, terrific forward!) and Louise Hansen (playing in Germany w/ 1.FFC Frankfurt).

I've no idea about the skills of the player from Canada you're talking about, but if she is really good maybe going to Sweden or Norway would be a better decision ;)

7. Sabes

Sabes New Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Nantes, France
  8. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
  9. gousa9

gousa9 New Member

Aug 28, 1999
    Canada
    Hey guys,

Just to say, the player I was referring to from Team Canada is Sharolta Nonen and she's with Fortuna Hjørring now. They posted her name on their roster @ their site, so I guess it's a "done" deal.