Dangerous fingernails?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by njref, Nov 7, 2003.

1. njref

njref Member

Mar 29, 2003
    New Jersey
    This is a take-off on a posting under another thread about how ponytails might be dangerous.

I don't know about ponytails, but fingernails certainly could be dangerous. I recently had a player that I coach get scratched in a girl's travel game [not surprisingly, the ref missed it].
    Fingernails are not something I check before the game as a referee.

My questions are:

1. Does anyone ever check fingernails?

2. Assuming that you notice long fingernails before the game, what would you do about it?

3. If someone gets scratched in a game, what would you do?

NJRef

2. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    You can't fault a player for having long hair or fingernails. Players are going to get scratches during the game, its a fact of life. However, if a player tells me "player x is going after us with her nails" then I'd have a word with player x. If I saw her deliberately attempt to scratch somebody that is unsporting behavior and she would be cautioned.

You can deal with misconduct when it occurs, but you can't deem hair or fingernails to be inherently dangerous.

3. ajreferee

ajreferee New Member

May 30, 2003
    NE IL
    Fingernails

Oh yes you can. Overlong finger nails are dangerous and would have to be trimmed before playing or artificial nails removed.

AJ

4. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most players with long fingernails would freak out if you touched their nails. They typically do not want to risk breaking a nail, generally shying away from contact.

Let 'em play. If you see it being used in an inappropraite manner, deal with it.

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cuts down on the deliberate handballs! :)

6. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    Re: Fingernails

Sorry, but this is inaccurate. The ritual of trimming fingernails is a side product of overly officious youth recreational soccer and does not serve the good of the game. The players have done nothing wrong by having fingernails until they use them in a dangerous manner. When this occurs the referee has multiple tools available to deal with the misconduct. A fingernail in of itself is not inherently dangerous, and the Law does not extend the referee authority to require any altering of a player's body.

I suggest you be careful about making blanket statements as fact in this forum as you may mislead a referee who is still learning. If you aren't sure, make your statement as an opinion or a question.

7. hattrickr20

hattrickr20 New Member

Nov 8, 2003
    Manassas, VA
    Sounds like the right way to handle the situation to me.

8. whipple

whipple New Member

May 15, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Re: Re: Fingernails

Now wait a minute.... I seem to recall a memo... something about if a player was too heavy... weren't we supposed to start lopping off body parts until their weight matched the rest of the players... or was it the smallest player on the opposing team.... I can't recall whether this was for regulation or deciding a winner.... something about "Reduce to equate".

Maybe I should go back and read it again.

9. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Fingernails

This was so wrong.

And yet so funny. :D

10. ajreferee

ajreferee New Member

May 30, 2003
    NE IL
    Dangerous finger nails

If the long 'nails' are artificial they clearly as dangerous equipwent and must be removed!

Overly long natural nails, at least to some and for decidely technical reasons (they are not 'equipent') cannot be banned. Law 18 and the SOTG would expect players do so.

AJ

11. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI
    Does this mean if a girl has "dangerous" breasts, we need to check if they are real or not and ban her if they are not real? Ahhh, the perks of a soccer referee! :)

12. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    Re: Dangerous finger nails

Yes, those thin, frail, short pieces of cheap plastic are real dangerous...

13. Craig the Aussie

Craig the Aussie New Member

May 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Basketball, netball, rugby etc where the hands are in play all the time, then yes - but in soccer???

14. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Fingernails

:)

I always thought that those tall, long-legged attackers that flew past me should have been "shortened" at the ankles. ;)

15. Labdarugo

Labdarugo Member

Dec 3, 2000
    Downwind
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, I just hope that you're not reffing u-14 that's all. :D

16. Ref Flunkie

Ref Flunkie Member

Oct 3, 2003
    New Hudson, MI

Yeah I thought of that after I re-read my post. Change girls to "legal aged women" :D.