DaMarcus Beasley's MLS Season in "Statistical" Perspective

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Karl K, Oct 27, 2003.

1. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    DMB is listed at 137 which is, perhaps appropriately, halfway between the two estimates in this thread and can't be far from the truth

2. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best part about MLS' site is that they have every single goal (at least the ones for which there were television coverage) archived on the site for the year:

http://www.mlsnet.com/multimedia/pepsi/index.php

OFFTOPIC:
    Here's Voros' 4 favorite goals this year:

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...003_CLBMETwolyniec.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...72003_DCNEtwellman.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...8092003_CLBLAruiz2.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

And my absolute favorite, Damani Ralph:

http://play.rbn.com/play.asx?url=ml...132003_CHICLBralph.asf&proto=mms?mswmext=.asx

Those two goals between Ralph and ruiz should be the two main candidates for goal of the year. Ruiz's will probably win, but Damani's is too special.

3. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    I was one of those ... and I'd like to think that DMB reads BigSoccer and decided to step it up at year end. Seriously, he was really going through the motions in July/August after the Cups.

Regarding his increased production - some of it has to do with playing time at withdrawn forward (A-mid/whatever) behind Damani and Razov and at forward earlier in the year when Razov was out. Some of it is improved offensive abilities and taking opportunities. Some of it is not being strapped down to defensive duties to the degree he was by Bradley.

4. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Wolyniec's goal might be the best in MLS history. I think that it is by far the runaway winner for GOY.

As for DMB, I guess I haven't followed the controversy as closely as others, but I cannot believe the idea of whether or not DMB is a valuable member of the MNT is even a topic for debate. I mean, really, did people simply skip the 2002 World Cup, or the 1999 U17 championship? I remember watching this flash of lightning back in 1999 and wondering aloud here on BS if he wouldn't make the jump to the MNT in the next 12 months. People thought I was crazy, but sure enough...

Anyway, the most remarkable aspect of DMB's game in my mind is that every single year he has taken his raw talent and athleticism and improved his overall game. Every year - no exceptions. It is exciting as a fan of the US team to speculate where his game will be at in 2006.

The downside is that we have at least 4 guys who can more than handle their own on the left side of Arena's midfield. JOB is obviously a 1st choice option in the middle, but if it were ever necessary, he can and has performed very well on the left. Of course DMB can handle the left midfield just fine. Then there is Eddie Lewis and Bobby Convey. On the right side, our options are not nearly as clear.

To me, left midfield is a toss up between Lewis and Beasley. Depending on the opponent and the particular matchup, Arena could go with one or the other and feel confident that the left is well taken care of. Lewis has performed so well at Preston North End over the past two seasons that DMB had to turn it up a notch this year w/ the Fire. He did, the dogfight continues.

It's simply a matter of opinion of course, but the emboldened statement is the one piece of Karl's arguments on this thread that I would disagree with. I think "THE most dynamic and exciting US soccer player" still is Landon Donovan. Besides his remarkable efficiency when it comes to finishing, Landon turns it on for the big game to a higher degree than any other US player. He was excellent in the World Cup, and his performances in the MLS playoffs are always a step above everyone else around him.

Both are under the guidance of the two best coaches in MLS this year, and I expect big things from both DMB and Landon over the next few weeks. It would not be at all surprising to see the two squaring off at the HDC for the title.

5. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Re: Re: DaMarcus Beasley's MLS Season in "Statistical" Perspective

A huge advertisement for Bradenton & MLS, no?

Where would these guys be had they been born 10 years earlier? Let's see, ODP, college, just now finishing up school and exploring opportunities to start working their way up the European ladder. At best.

6. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago

You?? Crazy?? Nah....

I became a DMB fan the first time I saw him at Soldier Field in the 2000 season. A woman sitting behind me with her young son, when she saw him line up, said, "My word, he looks like a baby!!"

I turned and said, "Well, he's only 17."

"Oh, my!! I guess he won't be playing for his high school!"

"No, ma'am, I don't think that's going to happen."

Meanwhile, recall the thread I started in the summer of 2001, when he had just a handful of caps IIRC, "Top 10 Reasons Why DaMarcus Beasley Might be on the '02 WC Roster" -- which was vaporized in one of the great BS crashes. That, too, was a very lively thread, with responses ranging from, "Who's better?? He's definitely going," to "No way, he's too small, too inexperienced, and too limited."

Controversies like that take a long time to simmer down, but this one will, inevitably.

Eddie adds a ton of value, no question, but I would assert that, right now, he is second on the depth chart.

Of course, that statement wasn't an "argument" (for an argument, see the earlier post about why DMB's size won't necessarily be a limiting factor) but rather a statement of personal preference. The operative phrase, carefully chosen I might add, was for me.

I say toe-MAY-toe, and you say toe-MAH-toe.

7. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Haven't come across this thread till now, but what Nut wrote above:

match my sentiments exactly. Thanks for starting this Karl.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    I know from personal experience that you be small and really skinny and be really durable. Because thats basicallhy what I am. I played 4 years of high school football at DMB approximate size and I took ALOT of hits but never got injured beyond the normal bruises. Never broke a bone or wore down or anytbhing.

9. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Re: Re: Re: DaMarcus Beasley's MLS Season in "Statistical" Perspective

That could be true, but I am a proponent of adjusting lineups, formations, tacts, and personnel based on creating a competitive advantage. Beasley's one major flaw (perhaps his only major flaw) is his crossing.

In CONCACAF, we are going to face a few teams who (1) are not dangerous going down the flanks, and (2) are going to bunker down and force us to cross the ball. The Gold Cup was a great example of why having excellent crossers on both sides of the field is a necessary option for Bruce Arena. On the right side, that meant Steve Ralston. On the left, the best crosser is Eddie Lewis. In the scenarios I just detailed, I'd still favor an in-form, healthy, and well-performing Eddie Lewis.

As for the questions of DMB's durability because of his size, there is a LOT of evidence in the sports medicine arena that adding too much muscle weight only leads to less durability. The theory that if DMB were to add 20 pounds of muscle he would become more durable has little evidence to back it up.

10. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love DMB. He is very exciting to watch, and he's really turned it on at the end of the season, no doubt.

But I still have to question the durability. The fact remains, his effectiveness at WC 2002 was limited due to being unavailable due to injury. Same thing this summer. Once again, battling injury and thus limited impact. He may be durable in MLS, withstanding all the challenges, etc. But so far he hasn't shown durability at the international level. Hope that can change.

11. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    With this issue, as with most issues in life, you have to ask yourself THE key question:

Compared to what?? (or in this case, compared to who?)

Is DMB more or less durable than

--Claudio Reyna?

--John O'Brien?

--Eddie Pope??

--Josh Wolff??

--Ben Olsen??

--Brian McBride?

I honestly believe he is no less durable, and in some cases MORE durable, than these or any other player.

I state the obvious, of course, but soccer is a physically demanding game. Sh-t happens to the biggest guys and the smallest guys and all the guys in-between. Every player contorts his body into wild positions, every players gets creamed, every player screams in pain sooner or later.

Here's another way to think about it.

If I am Bruce Arena, and the Gods of Soccer came to me in June of 2006 and said....

"Look, Brucie old boy, if you take Beasley to Germany, there's a 100% chance he will play 90 in one game, an 85% chance he can play in two games before he gets hurt, and a 75% chance he can play in three games and into the knockout rounds.

However, if you take Player_______, who's half as good as him, but more durable, you'll have Player ________for EVERY single minute of EVERY single game. Take your pick, one or the other."

...what would you do?

I know what I'd do...that other character is watching the World Cup from the comfort of his living room.

I bet Bruce would do the EXACTLY the same thing.

12. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    However, if you take Jeff Agoos, who's half as good as him, but more durable, you'll have Jeff Agoos for EVERY single minute of EVERY single game.

;)

13. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, no, I'm absolutely with you. I'd pick him for the roster, even if he could only play in 1 game. What a game that would be! And he's definitely just as durable as those other guys you mentioned. I guess you missed my point....and now I don't even know what point I was trying to make either. :D (It was probably not a good one.)

14. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    Key question number two:

Who among the above players played (or was available to play) in all five games during the World Cup?

It's only one tournament, but DMB was the ONLY one who got hurt when it counted.

15. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    IIRC Reyna was injured for the opening match v POR and did not play.

16. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Right, exactly. Just one tournament. A big one, but just one nonetheless.

As a result, I'd say in that instance, it was luck that frowned on him, not that he was, necessarily, "less" durable than other guys.

17. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reyna was hurt for the start of the tournament. Didn't play when we beat Portugal but DMB did.

McBride's had the healthiest stretch of his career though he's out for a while now and likely won't be available if we play friendlies in December or January.

Josh Wolff is simply ridiculous.

18. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Ironically, other guys who were injured for part or all of the World Cup include Agoos, Stewart, and Armas. Those guys were mainstays in qualifying, when it also counted.

19. jack921

jack921 New Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Re: Re: Re: Beasley

Oh yeah, that McBride matter.
    OK, this is the second time someone on BS has admitted he was wrong.

20. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000

And Stevie Cherundolo hurt his knee in practice before the first game.

21. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Bease, you're great, keep it up !

To everyone, why are these called threads and not "tangents"?

22. Serie Zed

Serie Zed Member

Jul 14, 2000
    Arlington
    Re: Re: Re: Beasley

And it humbled you so.

23. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    This is funny Karl...last year (and year before) your argument was how irrelevant statistics were when speaking about Beasley (given his relatively poor stats performance)....and now that he has put a statistically-good/very good year....you are all over it..

Love is funny, doncha think?

24. divingheader

divingheader Member

Nov 10, 2001
    St John, NB, Canada
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karl Kellar: "If I am Bruce Arena, and the Gods of Soccer came to me in June of 2006 and said....

"Look, Brucie old boy, if you take Beasley to Germany, there's a 100% chance he will play 90 in one game, an 85% chance he can play in two games before he gets hurt, and a 75% chance he can play in three games and into the knockout rounds.

However, if you take Player_______, who's half as good as him, but more durable, you'll have Player ________for EVERY single minute of EVERY single game. Take your pick, one or the other."

...what would you do?"

I think this actually happened... This is why BA put Cobi on the JK02 team, cause he knew he would be available when he was needed. In Germany, there will be a Cobi-like role player who we can count on to fill in when needed but will spend most games on the pine being thrilled by BA's new secret weapon, the 4-4-2 where all 4 mids play on the left.