DaMarcus Beasley announces retirement

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, May 20, 2019.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
  2. olephill2

olephill2 Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair point, and I'm a big DMB fan, but it's worth remembering that he really struggled with injuries and form from 2009-2012. I distinctly remember a 2009 Confederations Cup group stage match in which he was pretty bad, got pulled, and didn't play again for the rest of the tournament. Beasley barely played with the USMNT between 2010-12, and then resurrected his career with Puebla in Mexico as a winger, before Jurgen Klinsmann experimentally played him as a LB in a 2013 WCQ in which our left back pool had been decimated. The rest, of course, is history.

Beasley also unfairly took some criticism from fans and Bruce Arena in the 2006 World Cup after he struggled as a right winger in our 3-0 loss against Czech Republic. He came on as a sub against Italy, and assisted Clint Dempsey's goal against Ghana, and I remember thinking fans were a bit too hard on Beasley in that tournament -- of course, expectations on the team were sky high, and Beasley was getting a ton of media hype in advance of the tournament (alongside Landon Donovan, Oguchi Onyewu, Bobby Convey and Kasey Keller).

LouisianaViking07/09 and 50/50 Ball repped this.
  3. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Cool news. Love seeing our storied guys moving into coaching and ownership in our domestic scene.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope he puts a strong ownership group together