Dallas's unprotected expansion players?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by tabramos10, Oct 17, 2004.

1. tabramos10

tabramos10 New Member

Jul 1, 2001
    SLC
    Alright, big time FC Dallas Burn fans. You are the experts on your team, so who does Dallas leave unprotected for the expansion draft for Salt Lake and Chivas to pick from?

PS: Sorry about missing the playoffs.

2. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    Kries
    Pareja
    Davis
    Quill
    Rhine
    Nhleco
    Jolley
    Talley
    Garlick
    Salyer

3. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to know the exact rules and player salaries (or good guess) first but that is a good start. Some of those are there just because of age and/or salary and the thinking no one will want them. However, Salyer is better than you are giving him credit for. I don't remember him letting anyone run through to goal unmarked. He may be a little slow but Talley isn't a speedster either and is not as good a defender.

4. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx
    I like Salyer personally but, if he can't beat out Talley for the spot, we need someone else. I'm actually hoping to see Reyes on the right and Gbandi on the left for next year.

5. asflagg

asflagg Member

Sep 6, 2003
    Who said he couldn't. Maybe it was just a bad coaching decision like the one that kept Gbandi in for most of the season.

I think I would still keep Jolley too but thats just my opinion. Of course, I don't know what his salary is and that might change my mind.

6. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    We've got two young CB's Goodson and Benke. We could chance them and develop
    some cap room for the allocations.

7. asflagg

asflagg Member

Sep 6, 2003
    True enough. I think Benke in particular developed as a good defender this year. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to put him in Reyes's position rather than the middle, and then put Reyes in the Midfield.

8. SoftTackle

SoftTackle Member

Jan 16, 2004
    Missoula, MT
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'm not certain whether Maurin or Wagenfuhr is the one on the developmental roster, but I personally would leave Maurin unprotected if possible over Jolley. Maurin, IIRC, didn't play a single minute this year so they can't be high on him, especially since the Burn were searching for answers all year in his position. If the salary cap goes up I'd like to keep Jolley because he adds to the team on the field as the organizer and in the locker-room, I suspect, as an intense leader. He has his flaws and if the salary cap doesn't rise he might be too much of a luxury with Goodson sitting on the bench and Behncke acting as depth, so he could then be traded for some other need.

9. mudpoet

mudpoet Member

May 16, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Reyes would be better suited at mid than defense.

10. Mrs.TexasArsenal

Mrs.TexasArsenal New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Frisco, TX
    *long sigh*

11. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    I agree with you and asflagg, but I doubt Milton will be on the squad next season.

12. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree! There is a list of some salaries previously posted...I'll post it again.
    I also think Gbandi should go.

13. Mrs.TexasArsenal

Mrs.TexasArsenal New Member

Aug 24, 2004
    Frisco, TX
    I found this .... posted on SI.com 1/2004

Dallas

PLAYER BASE-GUARANTEED*
    Countess, D.J.: $100,000/$128,000
    Garlick, Scott: $95,000/$120,000
    Johnson, Ed: $75,000/$86,250
    O'Brien, Ronnie: $60,000/$62,125
    Rhine, Bobby: $60,000/$60,750
    Davis, Brad: $50,600/$60,600
    Gbandi, Chris: $44,550/$59,550
    Vaca, Joselito: $50,190/$50,190
    Thomas, Shavar: $34,125/$44,125
    Cassar, Jeff: $37,800/$38,425
    Thompson, Jason: $28,350/$29,600
    Curtis, Ali: $28,980/$28,980
    Stone, Jordan: $26,460/$27,710
    Glinton, Gavin: $26,460/$26,460
    Behncke, Matt: $24,000/$24,000

14. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still can't believe what Jeff makes...that's just wrong!!! Compared to DJ and Garlick that is amazing!?!

15. chazsoccer

chazsoccer Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Republic of Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Took out players no longer here.

Now we need info [best guesses] on the rest

Gibbs, Simo, Kreis, Pareja, Nhlecko, Reyes, Salyer, Quill, Talley, Wagenfuhr, Nunez, Maurin, Goodson

16. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I beleive soem of the rules are:

-1 SI must be left unprotected

-developmental roster players(6 total I believe) are protected and can not be left unexposed.

-for each player picked, you are allowed to protect another player.

With that said, here is the roster and their classifications(according the Dallas burn website).

*=protected via Dev.
    bold is who you leave unprotected.

16 Matt Behncke D
    00 Jeff Cassar GK
    10 Brad Davis M
    1 Scott Garlick GK
    4 Chris Gbandi D
    2 Cory Gibbs D
    *Goodson D P-40
    *7 Eddie Johnson F P-40
    5 Steve Jolley D
    9 Jason Kreis F
    23 Ty Maurin M
    18 Toni Nhleko F S-I/DISC
    21 Ramon Nunez M
    6 Ronnie O'Brien M S-I
    8 Oscar Pareja M
    15 Eric Quill M
    14 Milton Reyes D-M DISC
    19 Bobby Rhine F
    22 Philip Salyer D
    *12 Jordan Stone M P-40
    3 Carey Talley D-M
    17 Simo Valakari M S-I/DISC
    *25 David Wagenfuhr D DEV

Reyes would be a good bargining chip with Chivas USA so protect him if you can. With some players such as CG4 and MB16, explain to them that you want them to stay, but have to put X amount of players up to pick from. If they go unpicked, you bring them back. Even if Gbandi is picked, you can always put Salyer there who has player left back and Wags plays there as well. Keep Stoner and maybe try and groom him into a right back. Toni had to go because ROB and Simo are too valueable to be let go. garlick should go unless he agrees to take a pay cut.

Now with all that, JK9 and OP8 are still there in case they retire and their is still a young nucleus to build around.

17. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming Oscar retires and EJ graduates before the draft.

Protect by position:
    Kreis, EJ,
    Davis, Simo, ROB, Rhine
    Behnke, Gibbs, Jolley, Salyer, Reyes,
    Cassar

Developmental Roster (auto-protected)
    Nunez
    Stone
    Wags
    Maurin
    Goodson

unprotected:
    Nhlecko-SI, no touch, makes too much for his impact. Not a terrible guy to have a around, but we need both SI space and $$ to USE those allocations

Quill-left midfield was broken all year. Look for a replacement. Quill gets unprotected because he's older and makes more. Davis to the bench, but he gets to stick around.

Talley-makes too much for a slow right back. We don't need that many veterans defenders. I'd unprotect him or Jolley, and I like Jolley better.

Gbandi-makes too much for his level of production.

Garlick-makes too much to be a backup, and the job is now Cassar's to lose. Give that man a raise!

18. ttujosh

ttujosh Member

Mar 9, 2003
    Dallas, Tx

19. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  21. ArsenalTexan3

ArsenalTexan3 Member

Arsenal
    Sep 24, 2002
    Jakarta
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The full list and rules

Rules for stocking expansion teams
    Major League Soccer
    Allocations

Expansion teams receive three (3) allocations
    One (1) expansion allocation for each expansion team shall take precedence over all other team allocations, with the remaining two (2) expansion allocations per team having no precedence over other team allocations
    Among expansion teams, priority shall be determined by chance(applies to all mechanisms below)
    Expansion Draft

The League will conduct an Expansion Draft prior to the regularly scheduled postseason Waiver Draft (likely in late November)
    The 2005 Expansion draft will be 10 rounds
    Each MLS team shall be allowed to protect 12 Senior Roster players
    Each MLS team may leave unprotected only one Senior International
    An MLS team may lose no more than three (3) players during the Expansion Draft
    After a player has been selected from an existing team, such team shall have the right to protect an additional player
    SuperDraft

Expansion teams shall have the first selections in the annual MLS SuperDraft
    Discovery Players

Expansion teams shall be granted six (6) discovery picks in their first season, four (4) in their second season and in their third season and thereafter shall be subject to the discovery rules applicable to all other MLS teams (at present, MLS teams are permitted up to two (2) discovery picks each year)
    Expansion teams shall have the lowest priority with respect to Discovery claims (until all teams have played three (3) games, in which case it will be determined by points-per-game)
    Waiver Drafts

Expansion teams shall have the last selections for waivers and all waiver drafts (until all teams have played three (3) games, in which case it will be determined by points-per-game)
    Lottery Drafts

Expansion teams shall have the lowest percentage chance for all lotteries (until the end of their first season in which case it shall be determined in the natural course)