Dallas back in Cotton Bowl

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Sachin, Nov 13, 2003.

1. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    delete this please...or move it to one of the many other burn to cotton bowl threads...

2. Mateofelipe

Mateofelipe Member+

Mar 10, 2001
    Spokane, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RFK does generate good atmosphere, for TV and for attendees. I haven't been to the others, but somehow the Rose Bowl looked less empty than Arrowhead, Invesco or Giants on TV. Gilette just is empty. It's like San Jose all over again. The fans checked out just as the team got better. Architecturally, RFK is pretty cool looking. That Close Encounters meets Gladiator thing in Chicago -please, just tear down the Cotton Bowl before doing something like that, or the Rose Bowl or the Coliseum.

Anyhow, to those few, true fans who stuck with the Burn through the aesthetic and competitive nightmare that this season was, great job and congratulations!

3. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I know where you're coming from, L'Pool. As far as the atmosphere and how the place looks in the seating area and all that, once you're in there, fine.

But the infrastructure of the place is a nightmare, it's too big and it's in a crap neighborhood.

As a soccer stadium, especially since it isn't used for the NFL or MLB anymore, then, fine. Once you're in there, fine. But it's a pit, it's a dive, and if it imploded tomorrow, that would be fine, too.

4. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it possible that this move back to the Cotton Bowl has something to do with Club America's potential interest in operating an MLS team?

I know San Jose is the rumored team, but I think Dallas is a better fit for Club America, and more suitable for any possible rebranding, if that were to take place.

5. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Congratulations, Burn.

The Republic of Texas recognizes the Hunt dynasty, executives and staff. They saw the light and mended their biggest marketing mistake.

BigSoccer posts and innumerable e-mails convinced them to backtrack.

VOX POPULI, VOX DEI...

6. Eastern Bear

Eastern Bear Member+

Feb 27, 1999
    Great Falls, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I guess you had a bad experience or two. I've been a season ticket holder at RFK from the get-go at DCU and my group of 8 ticket holders love our "dive". The bathrooms are actually clean and plentiful. We have a nice, large, grass parking lot for tailgating and kicking the ball around before the game. The neighborhood is low income and relatively low crime, but it gets much-much worse accross the river. Just one (maybe two) metro stops away is Eastern Market. To drive in from Virginia or Maryland is a breeze. It's old and I'm sure the "luxury" suites are terrible, but I don't know a DCU fan that doesn't like the place. Most I know wish that we could just replace the upper deck w/ a roof.

I've been to Columbus, Giants stadium, and the Cotton Bowl and the only place I'd rather have is Columbus. Giants stadium was too sterile. The Cotton Bowl has great grass, but felt too sterile as well. Much more character at the cotton Bowl than at Giant's stadium.

7. Viking64

Viking64 Member

Feb 11, 1999
    Tarheel State
    WARNING WARNING WARNING -MLS SEMIFINAL RESULT IS INSERTED IN THIS POST

No. Won't happen. HSG is elbows deep into operating the franchise, and will cash in on their work in less than 18 months. Foolish to sell now.

I figured America in Houston and Chivas in SD in 05, until the quakes did the job. CA might buy them just cause they will be buying the champion.

But on a comparative basis, Houston and Dallas are close to the same. Population base is almost the same size, the ethnic population is more diverse in Houston, but still heavy LA/Hispanic.

8. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    I'm dying to watch Dallas play in the old Cottom Bowl. My favority natural grass stadium in MLS

9. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    When the Frisco complex opens, will it host any Dallas Cup matches? Certainly the Burn ground will be used for the finals at least.

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have heard rumors of this but nothing concrete. It would seem to be a natural though as the present stadium for the big games and finals (Wildcat/Ram Stadium) has converted to artificial grass and does not have much parking. Smaller games are played at two or three other complexes so if they move to Frisco they would get a bigger, nicer main stadium that has grass (better be) and all the other games could be accomodated at the same site so viewers could circulate to any game that was going on at that time without traveling to a completely different site. Teams could stay near by without having to travel so far and more fans at one site could lead to a big enhancement in vendor attractions.