DailyKos/Research 2000 Republican Poll Results

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Pathogen, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy jaysus these results are HIGH-larious.

A whopping 39% said yes. And it only gets better from there.

My personal favorite is the 34% that believe the birth control pill is abortion. Awesome.

Based on this poll, the crazies have full control of the Republican party. Good luck rescuing that thing. Look at the monster Ronald Reagan created.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clinton was president in 2000, not Obama you silly goose.

3. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it it the organization's name that has the "2000" in it..It may be a tad confusing, but it is a current poll....

4. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing that confused me is why the percentage of people who believe birth control should be outlawd (31%) is lower than the percentage who think it's abortion.

5. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Along these lines, another take-away is that southern men are consistently dumber than their counterparts in other parts of the country.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty flabbergasted by the entire thing. Nearly 1/3rd of conservatives believe that contraceptives should be outlawed. Small gov't FTW; "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help (you get pregnant/a disease)."

7. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How was the question asked? Was the question implying the "morning after" pill or was it referring to the pill, condoms, etc. That would make a huge difference in responses.

ed: I know what the questions say, but the questions could have varied slightly in presentation, etc. The numbers don't add up, so the possibility exists that there was a flaw in how the question was presented.

Plus, it is the Daily Kos. Not exactly the most reliable of sources.

8. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The most notable thing here is how far they've come with allowing women to work outside the home.

9. klattamaniac

klattamaniac Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Before we get into "attack the messenger" mode, Daily Kos did not actually perform the survey...Research 2000, a non-partisan firm, did. Daily Kos just commissioned it.

10. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see a lot of room for variation in "Should contraceptive use be outlawed?", but maybe that's just me.

11. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    The terrorist question was rather disturbing. You should be punched in the face if you think either "yes" or "Not sure"

12. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought maybe Matt was trying to be funny because if he'd actually looked at the poll, it would have been obvious it wasn't from 10 years ago.

13. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingus

14. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Thanks for the "you silly goose" hint in your original post.

15. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they funded it.

A study funded by Daily Kos makes Republicans look bad. I'm shocked. Shocked and atonished, I tell you.

16. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Kos just gets the assist. The respondents seem to be the ones who shoot and score.

17. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How were those questions designed to make Republicans look bad? Seriously, what part of "Do you believe Barack Obama wants the terrorists to win?" is out to make Republicans look bad?

Seriously, do they not bother with "thinking for yourself" at that diploma mill on Chestnut Hill?

1 person likes this.
  18. klattamaniac

klattamaniac Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Fair enough. Just like the studies funded by AHIP that showed how horrible health care reform would be, right? Those studies had assumptions that could be tweaked in various ways to guarantee a certain conclusion. But, assuming the questions were worded exactly as they appear and the people were selected randomly, I'm not sure there's a whole lot else that could be done to guarantee the result that Kos was looking for. If the poll had refuted Kos' hypotheses, I'm guessing he wouldn't have published it.

19. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't say that. My bet is the survey respondents weren't exactly randomly selected.

That is, if the poll was even conducted at all.

20. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    For those of you that know a little bit about statistics and proper sample size, is 2003 really enough to get somewhat accurate data?

21. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you aware that Research2000 is an independent polling company that does opinion research for a wide variety of clients? They aren't some creation of Markos Moulitsas, much as you might wish it.

22. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that most national political polls have samples of betwee 1000 and 2000, so this would seem to be quite a bit larger, especially given that it's only self-identified Republicans.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Polls don't kill a party's image. Stupid bigots answering poll questions kill a party's image.

Lapsing into parody here, intheCatholicschool.

24. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A quick Google search on Research2000 indicates that just about every one of their published polls turns out results favorable to Democrats or left-wingers, including one conducted days before the Massachusetts special election that indicated an 8-point lead for Coakley. Additionally, a large percentage of their polls seem to have been conducted on behalf of DailyKos or other left-wing groups.

Independent?? Maybe. Non-partisan?? I'm not buying it.

25. PhillyQuakesFan

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use the common sense test.

How many Republicans do you know?? (I realize that for many of you, the answer to this question might be "0" or in the low single digits)

How many Republicans do you know that actually believe this stuff??