DA Folding!

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by ppierce34, Apr 11, 2020.

1. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    "They said there would be no math..."

- Chevy Chase

upload_2020-4-30_9-39-15.png

2. SpiceBoy

SpiceBoy Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Aug 2, 2017
    Are you guessing about the "already discarded the 'HS is allowed' feature? I saw speculation in the thread because of different high school seasons by state, but ECNL already does the same thing and allows HS play. Curious if this is "known" or "speculated'

3. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    While these numbers are probably fine... and limiting the number of 'moments' is fine, why 7? This means the real number is six as most coaches will keep at least one sub in their pocket.

Is this rule meant to nudge clubs towards avoiding large rosters, or is it GDA mindset creeping back in?

Be very wary if your GAL team has a roster >18.

4. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    Admittedly, mostly speculation due to 8 states having different hs seasons, and hearing 2nd hand accounts that FCU is telling families 10 months = no high school, and don't blame us, blame the IHSA, they are the ones that don't allow you to do both.

5. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    ECNL does 'allow' but doesn't always promote the option. Structurally, however, it is easier for them to allow it because of how they have carved up the geography of their divisions. For example, I'm assuming it is why they put Indiana girls into the Ohio Valley, and why the ECNL division maps for boys and girls differ in some cases.

6. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    There is truth to that.

7. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    99.9% parents are not smart enough.

8. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
  9. VolklP19

VolklP19 Member+

Jun 23, 2010
    Illinois
    #84 VolklP19, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    It's not really massive IMO. The ECNL on a national level is light years beyond what the GA will ever be. This debate is so over. Sure there may be differences in terms of region/state and so on. But the top nationally based youth league for girls is now ECNL - hands down.

Now maybe the Eclipse will be forced to add more badges in Chicago land. Maybe ECNL will lower some of the costs and then maybe these silly GA clubs will do the right thing and put all the top talent in one league where they can play against one another.

Not holding my breath tho.

That is what I would ask Coach Rudy - or any GA coach who can answer...

What if FCU and Sockers got ECNL badges? What if a Fox Valley club was also Added? What if costs were greatly reduced - which will likely happen anyhow with travel restrictions... What if the board was re-shuffled to prevent past tampering.

Could swap out Sockers/FCU for other clubs around the nation to add more talent...

Would this get GA clubs on board?

If not why?

I mean right now - those seem to be the only issues specific to our area that I could see a GA club as being hesitant.

10. Driven

Driven Member

USWNT
    United States
    Apr 6, 2019
    Additional ECNL badges will not be given in chicago metro until competitor clubs (FCU and Sockers) are financially failing and can be bought out or just run out of business.

because its all about the player experience in the ecnl

11. upper left

upper left Member

Crystal Palace
    Uruguay
    Jan 27, 2018
    This is the DA Folding thread, so I'm trying not to make it all about Chicago.

From a national perspective, FC Dallas, which was supposed to be the cornerstone of the Frontier division, bailing in the 11th hour because Lavers finally got around to returning their 20 voicemails is big news, and a big blow to the viability of the league.

It makes the stronger teams still on the fence in the NW less eager to commit. It makes the few strong teams that remain more likely to jump ship when Lavers finally gets around to returning their calls.

It makes the decision of Beach and Legends to put their A teams in ECRL, and B teams in GAL much easier.

This is turning into another closed league, like GDA, formed to solve a problem that doesn't really exist, with solid clubs forgoing the opportunity to make USYS's National League and ODP viable.

12. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    MRL (now Great Lakes) and NL, and I think our State Premier League (not positive about that one) has had the "7 subs per half" limit. This is the first year had a roster of 19, and yes, for the NL games where all 19 were available to play, the coach "sat" one player.

There was rule (I'm not sure of the particulars) where if a player had to go off for injury (may have been if there was head contact), he could be subbed for then re-enter.

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is to limiting the number of subs when you get to higher (ie: 15+) levels.

13. Dynamo Kev

Dynamo Kev Member

Oct 24, 2000

Some good insight from a former DA player.

14. jvgnj

jvgnj Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Grand plans for national leagues may be moot with travel restrictions and double digit unemployment for the foreseeable future. May be a better use of time to focus on creating a strong local/regional system.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    This was a great listen. My only issue was him talking up how all the great US Men's soccer players have come through the DA. For the most part, those players are sh** when you compare them globally. Sure they're good for Americans but when can we produce players who can legitimately compete on the global stage?