Czech Republic at UEFA Euro 2020

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by adam CZ, May 3, 2021.

1. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    We are six weeks out from our opening match at Euro 2020 and discussions regarding squad selections should begin to intensify.

On that note, rosters have been expanded from 23 players to 26. A smart decision from UEFA to account for compacted club schedules and Covid concerns, but more likely an opportunity for Silhavy to make three additional mistakes..

I’m currently projecting Silhavy to select these 26 players assuming everyone is available:

Vaclik / Pavlenka / Kolar
    Coufal / Kaderabek
    Kalas / Celustka / Zima / Brabec
    Boril / Mateju
    Soucek / Kral / Darida / Holes / Pavelka
    Jankto / Barak / Provod / Masopust / Dockal
    Schick / Krmencik / Vydra / Hlozek / Pekhart

I feel this is most accurate if we consider his call ups throughout the 20/21 season, who is actually available, and who he typically (and stubbornly) favours.

The immediate changes I’d make to this list and hope for would be:

Kalvach > Pavelka
    Sevcik > Dockal
    Kuchta > Pekhart

The other two questionable inclusions would be Mateju (somewhat) and Brabec (very). I’m sort of indifferent here compared to the previous three I’d replace. I really wouldn’t mind Novak over Mateju and literally anyone instead of Brabec.

Our pre-tournament warm up friendlies:

June 4 @ Italy (20:45 CET)
    June 8 v Albania (18:00 CET)

I don’t know of an exact date for the squad announcement, but I’m sure we’ll hear of one soon.

2. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Possibly the first significant injury to report on. It appears Provod may have seriously injured his knee today and will probably be confirmed out of the Euros. Terrible for him and the timing is just so typical for an emerging Czech player. Extremely frustrating.

In that case, Dockal likely has a guaranteed spot in the team now.

3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Sounds like Provod will most likely miss Euros, but Trpisovsky is fairly optimistic from initial tests that its not severely serious (As in prolonged absence like a ligament tear).

4. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Despite initial signs of optimism, it’s been confirmed the injury is much more serious as Provod tore his ACL and meniscus. Devastating news that finishes his 2021. Best of luck to him in his recovery process.

As for who takes his roster spot, I think Sevcik will be the direct replacement. He’s another central midfielder at club level that would likely play out wide in the national team.

If we decide to pick a more traditional winger, then Pesek is currently the best candidate. I also think one of the Sadilek brothers could be in contention.

5. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    This tournament is shaping up to be warm up for World Cup qualifying at this point.

6. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I see this as a warm up for World Cup qualifying because of the general aura surrounding this tournament as a result of Covid and how I feel our team still hasn’t peaked, but I don’t think losing Kudela and Provod significantly impacts our chances of advancement.

Any additional absences, then probably yes, but we still have a strong enough team to challenge Croatia for second place in my opinion. We just won’t get far in the knockout stages with our central defence.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I was more just bummed that Provod wouldn't get a chance to increase value, and may even not move at all now since he will be injured until next season.

Hlozek should be playing in this tournament, either 2nd striker or on the wing.

8. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Oh most definitely. It’s a devastating injury for an honest, hardworking player who made incredible progress this season and deserved his dream move abroad.

What’s somewhat concerning about the nature of the injury is the fact he’ll return to play most likely in the winter months when the state of most Czech fields are dreadful. This was the case of Hovorka who similarly twisted his knee unforced and managed to walk off the field on his own power.

Realistically, Hlozek would only start as a winger with everyone available. I doubt Silhavy would change from a 4-2-3-1 formation unless there was a tactical switch needed mid-game.

With Hlozek as a winger, I’d personally play him on the left and have Jankto on the right. I also wouldn’t mind Barak playing as a false right winger either if Hlozek didn’t start.

I just don’t see Masopust having any impact outside of being an energy source off the bench. I also don’t consider Kaderabek to be a viable starting winger in this formation.

9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #9 Kamtedrejt, May 16, 2021
    Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Bad luck for Provod. I thought he could have been a break out star at the tournament.

I'm eying all the teams and all the groups. Group D is so awkward to predict. My thoughts and picks are going back and forth. The Czech Republic can finish for me in any pisition from 1st to 4th. I think basically the same about Croatia. I'm much more firm on how Scotland will do. Scotland is for me between 2nd and 3rd. I see absolutely no scenario where they would top the group, but I can't see them finishing bottom either. They just waited so long for this. 25 years. They are going to win one game and squeeze out maybe another draw. England is far from assured of topping the group in my eyes. I think it will be very tough to beat them at Wembley but Croatia and Czech Republic are capable of getting a draw against them. I mean Poland without Lewandwski was very close to snatch a point from Wembley in World Cup qualfying. All I want to say is that this group will shape up much more closely and hard-fought than people might have imagined. I see all the teams grabbing points off each other.

10. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Summary of my thoughts

- England will probably make life difficult for themselves in this group by drawing one or two games

- Scotland's best expectation can be four points in this group. I see them performing at their very best like they did in the Serbia playoff game. Meaning they would just get three/four points.

Now there are big question marks over Croatia and also to a lesser extent over the Czech Republic.
    Recently there was a saga with Borna Sosa, a Croatian-born guy who plays for Stuttgart in the Bundesliga. He opted for presenting Germany at A international level after having played in basically all Croatia youth teams. He has no ties with Germany at all. This was a shock to Croatian fans as you could imagine. This was a big topic in the media and country for a few days. The saga is over as he isn't eligible to present Germany. He will probably have to begg for a call up in the future.

Another development was Čorluka's inclusion to the coaching staff. He played for Croatia in the last EUROs and got some trash minutes in Russia as well. He was a quiet leader of the team. His main task will be to stabilise the team from inside. Dalić knows that he needs to act after Lovren had spoken in public that younger players wouldn't respect the veterans. That's already one action. He needs to clean up house ahead of the tournament. Leave maybe players out of the squad who are detrimental for the cohesion of the team.

11. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I believe Silhavy will announce our squad next Tuesday. Apart from the news about Provod, I don’t think anything has really changed from my initial squad projection.

I’d say the three most debatable / unclear roster spots currently would be:
    • the fourth centreback spot
    • the replacement for Provod (assuming Dockal was already in the plans)
    • the final forward spot
    I’d choose Simic, one of Pesek / Sevcik, and Kuchta based on spring form.

He’d have to be absolutely insane to do it, but I kind of fear the possibility Silhavy doesn’t take Zima and/or Hlozek for whatever reason..

Both are in serious contention to be starters at this point, so probably very unlikely they don’t go you’d think.

12. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    #12 ASU55RR, May 18, 2021
    Last edited: May 18, 2021
    If he doesn't take Hlozek he should be fired on the spot.

Zima one could argue looks a bit more raw than during his best spells earlier this season (although with our options in defense still an easy pick), but Hlozek is just getting better and better since his injury return honestly.

13. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Definitely. I just figured it’s worth putting out there to feel less blindsided by it, but certainly would ruin much of the excitement towards this tournament for me.

That said, I’d imagine Hlozek’s agent (who also has Zima as a client) and the rest of his camp will do everything in their power to ensure he’s in the squad and they should honestly.

Agreed, his form has admittedly declined in the spring. I think it’s going to be Celustka and Kalas starting which I’d probably also go with as of now.

14. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slavia internationals will skip the final two league rounds to rest and prepare for the Euros at the request of Silhavy. I think a good decision in the end and appreciate Tvrdik obliging. One could argue that a select few could use some extra match sharpness, but then again, you wouldn’t want another serious injury like Provod.

There is a possibility that Kolar skips the tournament entirely as he claims to still not feel 100%. You’d never even know considering he’s arguably been in his best form of the season since the injury. I just don’t think he really cares about the national team, especially if not guaranteed a starting position.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    My guess is he's focused on moving. I don't think he had a shot of surpassing Vaclik and Pavlenka during this tournament, so may just want to focus on his day job and building resume for WCQs.

I know he wants to move to France, but there aren't many clubs there that are likely to cover Slavia's desired transfer fee (though certainly they have to be more flexible this year after the injury and no Champions League money).

16. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I’m assuming the same, but I just think it looks kind of bad on him to not go. It’s not like he’s the only player with a potential transfer on the horizon this summer, nor would anyone else decline an invitation for having a limited role (except maybe Dockal if he were in the 24-26 roster spot).

If he’s healthy and selected then he should participate in my opinion. I’m not sure why a player would pass on such an opportunity.

17. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I’m starting to believe Kudela will appear in the squad named on Tuesday, the day before his appeal hearing, with Zima being left out. Only if his suspension is upheld will Zima then replace Kudela.

I hope I’m wrong, but it’s become so easy to predict Silhavy at this point.

18. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Well, some hopeful clues that our two young guns are indeed going to the Euros. Both Zima and Hlozek were not in the latest U21 squad for their summer training camp.

Also, not related to the senior team or Euros whatsoever, but shocking that Krejci is presumably leading the U21s through another cycle.

19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I think both players you mention are going to be on the senior team, but isn't this lineup sort of the first of the next cycle (so born 2001 and later)? Hlozek is still U-21 aged, but I think Zima would be aged out of this group as he was born in 2000...

I'm starting to feel old.

20. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Zima would still qualify for this generation and could technically play in the 2023 tournament (for those born 2000 or later), but will likely be a regular senior international by that point much like Kral was this year.

21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Krejci's contract hasn't officially been renewed so there is still hope that he is just seeing out the terms until July. I wonder if the FA chairman process would impact this at all - as much as I appreciate Poborsky the player, I am hoping that Fousek wins.

22. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia

The squad is in, and its generally not controversial including our promising young players Hlozek and Zima. Kolar did indeed decide not to participate due to the after effects of his injury, so Mandous who played in our COVID lineups is in.

One spot is still open, that is there in the hopes that Kudela's appeal is successful (doubt), if not there is a small set of reserves that may be called in.

23. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Overall, this is a good team selection from Silhavy. Of course you could always argue about the final few roster spots, but that’s the case with any national team.

Our centre back situation is dire, but that was no secret and always going to be our glaring limitation. I will say though, the constant bashing of certain players by Czech fans is getting ridiculous. Calling for a complete overhaul at the position right before a major tournament is simply moronic.

Did anyone really think Celustka would not be called up? Or that any of Stronati, Luftner, Jemelka, or Zeleny are actually better options than Brabec, who at least has international experience and has performed decent enough (to be a back up) when called upon by Silhavy. It is what it is.

The biggest talking point is certainly the omission of Dockal, but I think Silhavy made the right decision here. The only match he’d be possibly useful for would be with Scotland if they defended in a deep block, but even they will play at a pace and intensity that’s likely too overwhelming for Dockal.

The other factor is his apparent ego that I’m not sure would accept such a limited role in the team, so best to just avoid any internal conflicts at all costs and move on.

Now assuming Kudela won’t be able to participate, the final roster spot is said to be between Stronati, Pavelka, Kalvach, and Michal Sadilek.

24. adam CZ

adam CZ Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Kudela confirmed to miss the Euros as his appeal was rejected. I’d imagine Pavelka is most likely to be selected now but as far as I’m concerned, he’s better off watching this tournament from home with Dockal.

I’d call up either Kalvach or Sadilek for that final spot.

25. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Sadilek gets the final roster spot, a surprising decision consider Silhavy usually values seniority. Doubt he gets much playing time, but means we have a decent core of young players getting national team training from this tournament.