Czech League football 2016 and on

Discussion in 'Czech Republic' started by ASU55RR, Aug 29, 2016.

1. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Plzen off to a fast start adding to their aggregate lead on 10 minutes with a very nice sequence culminating with a Kliment goal. Very close to being in the clear now.

2. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Plzen miss a penalty that would have put this to rest, but even so they look to be firmly in control still. Still too early to say they are in the clear though

3. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    HT 1-0 (3-1)

Plzen are 45 minutes of not collapsing away from at worst being Europa League and having a winnable path to Champions League.

4. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Sheriff benefited from what looks like an accidental hand outside the box (that or a dive) outside the box being given as a penalty.

What looked like a quiet cruise to the next round is now game on, Plzen nearly going back up right after but a big save keeping this a 1 goal aggregate lead.

5. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Actually it was an accidental handball inside the box, just saw a clearer replay. Don't think it merited a yellow, but probably a good call on the pen.

6. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    And Plzen retake the lead, Mosquera alone at the back post on a corner. Plzen now back up 2 on aggregate.

7. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    For a team with the lead Plzen are playing way too open, which is bad since Tiraspol are only dangerous on quick breaks. A few heroic moments just preserved the league, but ideally Plzen will tighten up at the back a bit (their defense hasn't really been that good today).

8. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Sheriff down to 10 men with less than 5 minutes to go. Plzen with a very unconvincing 2nd half, but they look likely 2 survive (hopefully with full coefficient points as a bonus)

9. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    FT Plzen 2-1 Sheriff (4-2) agg

Plzen will play either Ferenzvaros (Hungary) or Qarabag (Azerbaijan) in the playoffs. They also guaranteed Group Stages for Europa League should they lose, so win-win for Czech league neutrals (they either get the money to invest in the youth program/ spend on players from mid-tables teams or they go where they can get some coefficient points).

The 2nd half was poor and Stanek bailed them out twice, but they only conceded due to a sort of fluke penalty and having missed a potential dagger penalty in the first half. I, like many, have underestimated this Plzen team for over a year now as they have confirmed their title by not being the coefficient disaster many expected (at this point with 4 CL qualifying wins they are sort of carrying us).

10. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Apparently, Plzen guaranteeing at least Europa League group stages allowed them to open up the budget a bit. They've signed Vaclav Jemelka from Olomouc and 24-year-old Slovak winger Erik Jirka from Real Oviedo; I think in both cases they are getting players whose contract was expired or near expiring so not much spent in fees, but both players have some national team experience so probably decent wages.

I don't know much about Jirka other than he is apparently very fast based on twitter comments, but they definitely needed another winger since Kayamba left and Kopic isn't getting any younger. They have a lot of CBs around the same level of ability (good for this level, but not great), but I still think Jemelka at 27 is probably a smart signing considering Hejda and Pernica are both 32

As for today, all eyes on Slavia since that is the key coefficient matchup. They are little bit beaten down injury wise coming out of last weekend (in particular Ewerton's knee was the victim of an egregiously bad tackle that somehow originally received only received a yellow). That said they have a 2 goal lead and a willingness to counter attack so hopefully they can pull it off.

11. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slovacko's match is 0-0 at HT, and more or less the definition of a lot of nothing since I think there were a couple of half-chances each by both teams.

Slavia's opening 25 has been far more eventful with the Greek hosts having produced 2 good shots (one into the post and the other into Mandous), and Slavia narrowly missing on FK. Very open match with enough time that anything could happen.

12. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slavia overall lucky to get to HT at 0-0; its aoverall a poorly officiated and open mess of a match, but they have been the lesser side so far.

Slovacko and Fenerbahce are now tied at 1-1, which is 2 more goals than anyone expected from the first half.

13. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slovacko are pushing for the win, they were never going to advance, but I do think they've shown a enough that they might compete in the Conference League playoff. It would be nice if they could snag some coefficient points in the process.

14. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    FT Slovacko 1 - 1 Fenerbahce (1-4 agg)

Again, this was an opponent with such a bigger budget that everything would need to go right for them, but they honestly played better than the score would indicate. Their next opponent will be either AIK of Sweden or Shkendija of Macedonia (currently up 1 with a half to play); both much more similar teams in terms of budget and resources.

Slavia meanwhile have gone behind, the have a little a half hour to protect 1 goal aggregate lead.

15. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Coming out of the 2nd cool down break it is becoming clear that Panathinaikos have spent a lot of energy chasing the aggregate equalizer, play is slowly tilting a bit more Slavia's favor. A goal for Slavia at this point (80th minute) would seal it.

16. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    It's a testament to this ref's leniency or incompetence that both teams still have 11 on the pitch. This was a match that was exciting, but ugly as hell in my opinion.

On balance of performance through the first 60 minutes, Panthinaikos probably deserved the 2nd goal to force extra time. Still it's hard to feel sorry for a team that's fans keep targeting players' eyes with a laser pointer. They are so tired that I doubt they'd hold off Slavia for another 30 anyway...

Actually as type this Slavia have made it 1-1 in added time so, they are through to the next round. Huge result as they stay in and knock a
    Greek giant out of Europe (that is one of the leagues we are competing with on coefficient).

17. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    FT Panathinaikos 1 - 1 Slavia (1-3 agg)

Slavia are through to the playoffs against Rakow Czechstochowa, the Polish team that Petrasek plays for. Certainly not a stroll for Slavia to the group stage (especially if they continue to lack some players), but I think an easier opponent than the one they just advanced against.

18. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Plzen have made another signing, Fortune Bassey from Ferencvaros is coming back to Czech league on loan. He played for Ceske Budejovice for the first half of last season and had 9 goals in 18 matches, which is not bad strike rate for someone at CB.

Not sure how he fits with the Plzen system (more similar to Kliment than Chory probably), but they are loading up on depth. Their outside defense is probably the weakest spot that still needs to be addressed.

19. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    upload_2022-8-13_13-8-29.png

I think we can just stop the season now.

We've started the season playing legitimately great, but I sort of wish Michal Sevcik waited until after the transfer window closed to emerge as one of the top young players in the league, because its only a matter of time until one of the big 3 clubs comes sniffing around. Luckily we're too obscure for international scouts to notice.

20. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Kind of a lethargic start from Plzen, Stanek was forced into action about 5 minutes in and while no similar threats since they but would still categorize them as on the backfoot most of the opening 20.

21. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Match is still favoring the hosts, but Plzen have had 2 chances of their own so they are showing they can be dangerous in spurts.

Mosquera is a midfielder (well winger) that tackles like a striker, I feel he picks up a lot of yellow cards.

HT 0 - 0

22. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    85 minutes in, still 0-0, not really much to add. Baku is clearly hot, and the players are showing it.

Hosts still the better side, but not leading all that much in terms of dangerous chances for all their advantage.

23. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    FT 0-0

A lot of action, but very little for it. After halftime I was fairly sure it would be 0-0.

This result does favor Plzen slightly as it is Qarabag who have the long travel next week.

24. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slavia just equalized on a mishit Holes turned cross audacious chip... and then a weird goal right after on the other end put them back down... Anyway, my original thought was Slavia look like a team that injuries is catching up overall. If they get this even or only lose by 1; I think they can overcome it at home. Otherwise it gets tough.

25. ASU55RR

ASU55RR Member+

Jul 31, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY/Brno,CZ
    Club:
    FC Zbrojovka Brno
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Slovacko just went ahead about 30 minutes in against AIK. They are dominating all stats so hopefully they can bank a lead to take to Sweden (my eyes are split between work and this increasingly chaotic mess of a Slavia match)