Curt Johnson Question & Answer session 5:30 PM 11/8 @ Lot B5

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by BenC1357, Oct 31, 2003.

1. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I emailed Curt Johnson and he agreed to come for his annual Q&A session with the Mystics/Cauldronites at the home playoff game 11/8. Feel free to invite any and all fans that would like to hear what our GM has to say.

2. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yaaaaaahhhhh!!!! To bad though it is wasn't 7 weeks earlier.

3. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    So........what are the topics people want to discuss this weekend with CJ? I can think of a few that I bet (or should) come up.

1) Security, yet again. Why do we need Lettuce among us? Why do they continue to turn people away from 114, when we want everybody and anybody to join us?
    2) Defend the Wolff move. We'll get the political answer here.
    3) Dare anyone mention sacking Gansler, with evidence of three mediocre seasons?
    4) Joint work to make the Cauldron grow...
    5) Upcoming policy for the draft. Obviously your order doesn't matter (see: Eleko vs. Damani). Are we going to chase youth and let them play or chase after more veteran cast offs?
    6) The Wizards FO "official" opinion of the playoffs, Chivas USA.
    7) Why the hell were we fined for wearing blue/white/blue???
    8) Offseason plans for the team. Areas of concern, staff changes (Bliss could get a HC job), attendance pushes for continued growth.

Spoon I'm sure you're full of them. Lets here it.

4. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really want to ask some things, but it is politically very uncorrect for me to do so, all things considered...

5. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about:

*Is Igor back next year? I believe his and Fatbro's original contracts were only 2 years and he's up.

*Are you changing Uni's again next year? If so I'm still not forking out $70 for something that's dead.

*Is there an alternative "gift" for renewing my season tickets other than that stupid drum thingy?

*AM sports game broadcasts for next year? Webcast even?

Be sure to compliment him on some things that've gone well. I know this board here gets pretty negative on him but:
    *It's also been the best growing attendance streak again. 4 years?
    *The most goals we've seen in a season in a while.
    *The Cauldron had it's own specific advertised section and it was mic'd. (Yes you do need lettuce there. I believe beers were thrown again on players and others accused of other lewd acts etc... plus you didn't want certain types there during certain games etc...)
    *No cheese promotions "really" this year. (Daredevil)
    *Our team is competitive and outside of Wolff, and has been progressively dominating when they want to be.
    *The Coach's watch party's have been a general success - at least we have a home now.
    *Wizards player appearances are on TV shows and Radio regularly.
    *Conrad & Zotinca were both Ruby's in the rough. Not quite diamonds but good compliments to have. Zotinca just took a little while longer to cross over.
    *Arnaud is coming along nicely and we don't see Goode or Brunt enough to judge but one must assume for you youth critics. Jose Jr is much like Wolff where you're gonna have to wait another season.

Other Negatives:
    *TV game coverage was a joke.(Not really his fault as much as MLSHQ)
    * Either take the USOC seriously or don't try to screw me with the bogus "bonus game A" ticket type thing. You give us four every year and we get to use like two. Plus it is a piece of hardware we don't yet have.
    * I had no problem with the Wolff trade. He should've been better than any #1 pick out there. He was just a bust this year. Hopefully not in the future but we'll see. But for this season he's a bust and hopefully his contract was incentive based.
    * Mid/Late Season form - two years in a row the team has become flat and uninspired. Sure getting killed in Mexico plus 8 games in 24 days but what was the deal this year??? Tony Robbins pep talks maybe. Team getaway to Bermuda or something to refresh them?

6. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I think we should deffinitly start jotting down these questions, and we should edit out any that we know the answere to, or how CJ will answer, as that just cuts into Q&A time. No "why wolff" no "what can WE do" no "Why no radio?"

John, if you have any questions you want asked and don't feel comfortable, than I'll ask for you, unless it's obviously based on insider knowledge that will come back to you (was it Hiring from the Inside like we talked about?).

-I want the following answered:
    -Igor's contract/expectancy
    -Vazquez/SI scouting
    -Can we get an assigned security team?
    -Is the team profittable and if not how close are we?
    -I'll ask about Gansler if anyone else won't. Seriously, I'm not sure how he can defend against 3 sub-par seasons, and USOC performances
    -Coaching staff changes around the league (our assts'. status)
    -Youth scouting
    -Possiblity of expansion draft, how do we prioritize?
    -Are we looking at picking up Garlick, and if not, why not?
    -How was the support for the 'Zards campain and what do they plan to do for next year?

can't think of anymore now, but I'm sure to add more after tonights game

7. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it may be beneficial to e-mail CJ on Thursday with our projected list of questions, so that we may get some less "pat" answers. I realize that no matter what, we're going to get the party line without much real insight, but I think if we let him look at the questions beforehand, we might be able to demand a little more candid answers from him.

8. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I completely disagree. Actually, if the FO were known to frequent the boards (still not sure I believe Andy, I dont know why they wouldnt at least lurk) I would have locked this thread as soon as I made the announcement. I think he needs to be surprised by some of the questions. At least the look on his face gives the answer, whether he says what he's thinking or not.
    Letting him know beforehand allows him to prepare his canned answers. Whereas at least he's gotta think on the fly with his canned answers if he doesnt know whats coming.

9. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    This isn't Crossfire or anything. He is doing us a favor by coming and talking to us. This guy is our friend and has always been polite to us. Giving him some sort of an idea as what will be asked won't hurt us at all. in fact it might help better prepare himself for answers he doesn't know. He will be political no matter what, but in previous times he has been quite candid in his answers. We should be asking him about the league and what happens behinds closed doors in the weighted lotteries, and how Adu will be turned over to DC for. Not questions like "Why did we pick up Josh Wolff?" We all know the answers to those questions.

I guess my point is not to be soft on the guy, but remember he is doing us a favor so don't go too hard on him either.

10. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    All I meant was that if he's truthful and honest then he should be able to answer on the fly. If you guys want to send them in thats cool. And I certainly never said to be overly hard on him. We never have, although there have been a couple awkward moments, and see no reason why we should now.

11. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is a great thing for the Mystics/Cauldron and CJ to do. Maybe you should schedule more meetings throught the offseason and during the regular seasons to keep things like security issues, chant ideas, and atmosphere fresh in the FO's mind.

12. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    We do the group Q&A once every year before a home game. Quite a few of us (me, John, Sam, Kevin) are in contact with someone in the FO on a pretty regular basis year round.

13. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If so then what is the need for a Q&A session? Shouldn't these concerns be sent to the FO as they happen? And if there is a communication line open, why are there still issues within and surrounding the Cauldron? Could it be the fact that certain people are more interested in getting drunk at the games, using profane language, and throwing beer on Cobi Jones than in being respectful to the opposing team?

Oh sure, I laughed when Cobi was all wet behind the ears, but was it really necessary. All it does is draw negative attention to the Cauldron. This in turn makes it harder to get the FO to listen to your concerns because they view you as just a bunch of rowdy fans as opposed to passionate fans who support their team.

Everytime I see the Cauldron on the jumbotron almost everyone of them (including you Ben) has a beer in hand. Do you really think that is going to "attract" people? When profane language slips over the mic, do you really think that Dad wants to take his son any closer to the section? These are things that maybe the Cauldron needs to address themselves before going and demanding action from the front office. Just some things to think about.

14. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    Hey Aaron why don't you come to the Tailgate and join us in asking CJ some questions. Tons of great information is gained through these.

15. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    First, this sounds more like an advertisement for MADD than a discussion about the Cauldron. People drink at sporting events. I guarantee you that there are more drunk people in the frist 10 rows of 114 for a Chiefs game than at any Wizards game.
    Second, cursing happens at sporting events. We do a pretty good job of keeping them to a minimum.
    Third, did you not read what Sam said about the Cauldron not being for the everyday casual fan? Its for the passionate, loud, supportive fan. Some people bring their kids, thats their choice. But usually, as Sam said, the Cauldron is a place where the young (and yes, often rowdy) crowd is. Its a place where teenagers become "old enough" to stand. Heck, there are three little guys (10-13) that stand right next to me each and every game.
    And yes, seeing me on the JumboTron, beer in hand, does attrack people. (mostly because of my dashing good looks ;) ) People have often said stuff to me in the concourse about seeing me and how they like what we do. I always invite them down. I've also had people ask me what we chant, come down to me during a game and propose chants, etc. I don't think anyone, except it seems you, care that I'm seen with a beer in hand.

Q&A is needed for face time with all the supporterswho tailgate in B5. Its also needed because if CJ tells Kevin something, that message may not get to everyone that goes to the tailgate. But its info we'd all like to know. Not to mention its an hour long and if Kevin tried to relay a hours worth of info to us a lot would get left out. A good example would be why does the President make announcements to the general public every couple months? Why doesnt he just always have Rumsfeld and Cheney tell us stuff?

The beer throwing incident is behind us. Can it please go away now?
    Harassing the opposing team is often considered the highest form of respect (beer throwing aside). Cometitors know they're good when they're hated. Why do you think we despise LA, but just poke fun and make jokes at Dallas?

16. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    The Q&A's aren't just focused on the Cauldron and how to make it better. A large variety of topics are discussed, relitively little time has been spent on the topic, 3 questions asked tops. They are usually the same questions every year. Security, Canned Music, and What can we do to make it better? Tops that takes about 10 minutes, out of sometimes a 2 hour Q&A.

I think people mistake people being loud as being drunk. 1 beer got thrown and we made a big deal out of it, because we don't want that. We see that has hindering our relationship/growth. The cauldron has never been intended or advertised for a family atmosphere. There is the entire stadium for that. The Cauldron is the last bastion where you don't have to watch what you say constantly, you don't have to be worried about being hassled for standing, hell it would be a lot cooler if you could smoke too. Really not that many people drink beer in the stadium. Ben happens to make enough money to afford having a beer and he sits in the front row, that makes him extremely visible. I think you are also misinterpeting cups for beer. Lots of people are holding cups because we are standing. it doesn't make sense to bend over and pick something off the ground every time you want a drink like it would when you are sitting down where you just have to lean.

17. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    KCWIZFLAG: That post smacked of wild exaggeration and some strange agenda against the Cauldron.

The fact that you think that the beer throwing incident is standard fare and encouraged is absolutely insane. Many in the Cauldron were very upset and embarrassed when it happened. The culprit confessed the next day and apologized deeply. Yet, you act like this is the norm. You're obsessed with this image thing, so why should we "behave" at all if you will never forget one incident which everyone in the Cauldron pretty much blasted?

Again, if there are any significant number of fans who actively think of the Cauldron in such a negative light, they aren't likely to be interested at all in sitting. Let it go, man.

18. KCWIZFLAG

KCWIZFLAG Member

Oct 31, 2002
    Gladstone, MO
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no "agenda" against the Cauldron, I'm just pointing out things I've seen in the past from where I sit. God forbid I speak my mind in America without offending someone. Everytime I have placed an opinion or suggstion for the Cauldron out here, I get negative feedback. Now, You're telling me to let it go-Man I think the Cauldron needs to get over itself. I was just stating my opinion-That is what this is for right?

19. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Yep, thats what this is for. And others are just sending their opinions right back at you. Don't take it personally when they do. The problem for you in this are is that most of the people (in fact all at the moment) you're interacting with stand in the Cauldron. You're the one person who is elsewhere in the stadium that offers these thoughts, so you're going to be the one to get the responses. Its not a bad thing, open discussion is good, and we need to hear the opinions whether we agree with them or not.

Also remember that no matter what the impression is, no one person speaks for the entire section 114. Not even Kevin, the president of the Mystics, because not every person in section 114 is a Mystic. Thats why I've tried, in all these discussions, to talk in terms of "Cauldronites", because the Mystics tag doesn't pertain to every person that stands in the Cauldron.

20. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    It is possible that you are right. I think it would be a lot cooler if we could bring more people in ourselves rather than have to rely on help from the FO. The fact is that people who sit in the Cauldron are proud to do so. Once again those who sit in the Cauldron show their support for the Wizards differently, thats all.

Aaron I know that it seems that everytime you speak up against the party line you get negative feedback. The majority of the people who read and post on these boards do sit in the Cauldron and do go to the tailgates. The reason for that is this website is spread by word of mouth, and the majority of people who have recieved the message have gotten it at either tailgate or in the Cauldron. Please keep giving feedback, I enjoy new opinions immensely.

21. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this thread is already wandering off topic....

Is anybody really a Mystic this year? Did anybody signup or pay any dues or anything? Are you a Mystic this year based on previous membership or do you just have to call yourself a Mystic and, poof, it is so?

22. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    First of all, I'm not the one who brought up Cauldron fans vs. other fans.

You have a right to speak; just as I have the right to tell you that I strongly disagree with you. Feedback is fine, but its a little disconcerting to me when you go into a large lecture against the Cauldron on little to no provocation.

23. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    (Seriously, once this season is over, I think I'm going to start an "All things Cauldron" thread. Too many threads head straight to some topic relating to the section.)

I havent paid for a couple of years. Not to be defiant by any means, I've got no problem paying. But there has to be a reason to pay. If you pay for something, you usually get something in return. I don't see much, or anything, that I'll gain by paying to do what I already do. This is why I try, most of the time, to refer to us as Cauldronites or simply people who stand in the Cauldron/114.
    This does not mean that I'm unwilling to pay again. But asking for money does one thing that would be very bad. It must limit access to the Cauldron. When we asked for section 114 to be GA because we wanted as many people as possible in 114, we effectively made it piontless to pay to be a "Mystic". If there were rewards for being paying members, while non-paying members could still stand with us, I'd pay for sure.

Now.....I'll try to get back on topic.

We don't just have to ask CJ about working with our group, although I certainly think it should come up and be covered. We've learned we won't get any names of potential SIs out of him, tried that one before. Where is the team going for preseason? Any college guys catching your eye with your #6 pick? Are you going to trade your #6 pick for someone like Rodrigo Faria? Do you envision Meola stick around the rest of his career? Do we have faith that Burciaga and Wolff can be productive members of our team, or should we just cut our loses?

24. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Just had a thought....it gets freakin' dark at 5:30. The Q&A and the grill are going to have to share space under our one light.

25. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only light, but heat. :D