Cup Watch Party

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by kcscsupporter, Nov 7, 2004.

1. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i know plenty of our loyal supporters will be making the trip our to la, but those of us that are too poor, conflicting schedules, or whatever other plausible reason need to have a good place to watch this together. with the game being on a sunday afternoon, most bars won't fully cooperate as the nfl will take precedent. any thoughts on having a world cup style watchparty at the pavillion? i think we could get a pretty good showing if the word got around early.

2. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    I think this would be a great idea. I would definitely attend if I weren't 1500 miles away at college. The only problem with this plan is that anyone who would be willing to sponsor/staff this event (i.e. Wizards personnel) will probably be in LA anyway. So I'm not sure that renting out the Pavillion would be a viable option. However, maybe Coach's could step in?

GO WIZARDS IN 2004 MLS CUP!

3. Wizardman03

Wizardman03 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MLS needs to move the championship from sunday. Going up against NFL is rediculous when trying to create an audience. Most bars in kansas city probably wont even show it let alone on a small tv in the bar. I work at the Other Place in olathe, and our policy is football comes first, which im i dont like. The MLS really needs to consider moving this to either saturday even though there is college games or friday where there is no real competition. Only the nba and one or two college games would be on. If they could get a national broadcast on abc on a friday i would believe they would get higher ratings than they would on sunday against the nfl.

4. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Hopefully Big Pat can step in to arrange things with Coach's.

5. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Anyone in Wichita want to set something up?

6. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    As a moderator I'm tempted to close this thread......

You know why????

Because you should find any and all ways to get to LA!!!

But, I'll leave it open. Only because my stupid ass missed MLS Cup 2000. :)

7. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    LMAO I thought I did something horrible. You had me going there. LOL

8. Lucid

Lucid Member

May 17, 1999
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    No, they need to leave it on Sunday IMO, but rather move it to the evening. They do compete with the NFL, but how many crossover fans are there? Not many. Sure they compete for TV time in bars, but then again... not many people in the total audience are watching or want to watch from a sports bar.

9. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    Disagree completely.

I for one am a fan of both. I have missed MLS Cup due to a Chiefs game (last season in fact). I would venture to say that in KC, Denver, Dallas, Chicago, DC, NY and NE there are many "crossover fans". Sports fans tend to be sports fans, period. MLS Cup should be on a Saturday night.

10. kckicker23

kckicker23 Member

Jun 10, 2003
    KC
    I agree. Unless KC is playing in the Cup, I'd be much more likely to at least surft between the MLS Final and an NFL game. So put it on a Saturday night, where the only thing you might be competing against is a college football game, but yesterday night there weren't any major primetime games. So a Saturday night would work great, in my opinion.

11. Davy's#1Gal

Davy's#1Gal New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Hi! I'm new to this whole posting thing, but I am a big Wizards fan. I'm not the most knowldegeable person about soccer, but I do know that I love to watch the Wizards. Unfortunatly, one of the hardest things for me has been finding people who will share this love for the team with me. This is one of the biggest reasons I will not be attending the game in LA this weekend. Still- just because I won't be in LA doesn't mean I shouldn't be able to enjoy the game. There must be a bar or something where Wizards fans hang out to watch games- especially such a huge game like Sunday's. If anyone knows anything- please post!

12. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Welcome aboard! You're among friends now! Have you ever been to the Cauldron?

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Usually the watch parties have been at Coach's at 103rd and State Line area. Many of the regulars there though are going to LA for the game. Also it is Sunday middle of the day, which means football, and the Chiefs are in NO for a noon kickoff, and with the Cup game starting at 2:30, you'll be hard pressed to get any bar to change from the Chiefs game to the Cup match. Not that you can't find a place that will, it just seems like it'll be hard to find one.

14. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the bars unlikely I hope the Team comes through with say a Pavillion Watch Party or even the Arrowhead club. (What game was it where they had the Arrowhead club playing the game, had some food too?)

15. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I just had to reply to your avatar!! "It's an awesome spectacle." I'm laughing out loud at work! Thanks!

16. mojo8001

mojo8001 New Member

Apr 10, 2001
    Missouri
    This is seriously wrong....

Thank you for your interest in the Kansas City Wizards and Major League Soccer. There is no watch party planned.

Sincerely,
    Staci

STACI SCHOTTMAN
    Public Relations
    Kansas City Wizards
    www.kcwizards.com
    sschottman@kcwizards.com
    816-920-4739 phone
    816-920-4773 fax

I'll be making my thoughts known...

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't really surprise me though, like I said earlier, most of the people that regularly go to the watch parties are going to LA for the game, there are only a few left in KC. What someone in KC should do is get either a gathering at their house, or talk to anyone they know that works in a bar that would possibly switch from the Chiefs game to the Cup match and go there.

18. Davy's#1Gal

Davy's#1Gal New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    No- I haven't made it to the couldron yet, although I am a big fan. Usually the people I convince to come to the game aren't willing to take that extra step with me.

I must say that it disappoints me that there isn't a watch party planned somewhere. I really think something like that would be fun. Besides- my Davy Arnaud jersey just came in the mail and I was really hoping to show it off ... ;)

19. Pat Ervin

Pat Ervin New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    KANSAS CITY
    GAng,
    I talked to coach's (the little people). I wanted to know if we showed in numbers, if we could get preferential treatment (ie. digital screens, etc....and not be stuck in a secondary position to football viewers).
    I am going to get an answer Wednesday.....and will alert those of us who might prefer that venue......I think a special from the food menu would be cool too.....I'm tellin' ya.....you guys haven't lived until you've tasted their Yankee Pot Roast....Chrissie's recipe. It's a little pricey at $9....but way good and comes with all the veg trimings.
    I'll let you all know,
    Big Pat

20. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    I'm not surprised there's no watch party. The entire staff is worried about getting to LA. They've probably got lots of crap to take care of for the game. Plus the Chiefs play Sunday, so the bars will all have that on.

Like I said, want to see the game with other people, find your way to LA!!!

21. IceKaiser

IceKaiser New Member

May 28, 2003
    training at altitude
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Got a digital camera?

:cool:

22. Wizardman03

Wizardman03 Member

Nov 10, 2003
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I work at the Other Place an have talked to my mangers about the game. Since the Chiefs will be over by 3:00 and the place usually clears out they are willing to put it on one of the side tvs for anyone. To bad not the big screen, because our big screens are hd and would be sweet.