Cup Crowd

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ossieend, Nov 16, 2008.

1. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    So, we're faced with the weird situation of a team from the east coast winning the western conference final. In addition to that, it means two eastern teams with erm......inconsistant levels of support are competing for the Cup on the west coast.

I just hope that (a) The HDC is sold out for the final and (b) the fans are partizan and loud enough to make a good impression on TV, giving the Cup Final the look and sound it deserves.

Now, most of you are much closer to the seat of the action than I am. Do any of you see any problems with regard to the size and partizanship of the crowd at MLS Cup?

2. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It sounds like MLS/Galaxy are making an effort to sell tickets. I've been getting a lot of emails about it. One down side is the Home Depot promotion where u get 2 free tickets if u spend $100. While its good to get new people into the stadium, it could also have the effect of people not showing up if something else comes up. They won't feel its a loss because they got the tickets for free. Sounds like there are a good number of Columbus and NY fans making the trip, but I'm sure the vast majority of people there will be LA based. Honestly, I'm not sure if it will sell-out. I'm hoping it'll at least be 20k so that the lower bowl is sold out. The upper deck is pretty easy to hide on TV.

3. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My hope is that both sets of supporters get a nice showing to make the atmosphere amazing :)

4. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope the final at least comes close to selling out(27,000 capacity).
    If not,you L.A. soccer fan's are pretty lame.

5. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Columbus supporter about to make the trip, I've been following the efforts of my fellow fans. As of now it's looking like there will be at least 50-100 Crew supporters (mostly Nordecke) at the match. With a week to go, this number could go up a bit.

I also think that we will have have several of our banners with us, so we should be pretty easy to spot.

- - - - - Nordecke on Tour - - - - -
    Making History in 2008

6. footballer7883

footballer7883 New Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Seattle
    I predict a very empty looking HDC, but I bet they call it a "sellout."

7. Felixx219

Felixx219 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 8, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's unfortunate that we have two Eastern teams playing at a Western venue. Most of the crowd will likely be neutral.

8. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Union Ultras will be in attendance. :D

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Things to think about are

- Do you really think a team from New York would get much love in L.A.?
    - Up and down the Columbus roster, there are players with strong California ties So there's family and friends there. Also some in the area still have a heart for Sigi.
    - When Columbus played away to New York, I noticed a couple of big banners either supporting Argentina or Boca Juniors. I'm sure there's some Boca supporters in Cali, so enter in the Guille Effect.

And then you have the people travelling from Columbus.

10. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I've heard the Crew FO has sold out their alotment of tickets already.
    Can anyone confirm this?

11. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Red Bull has an office near by in Santa Monica I believe, so you will have a strong Red Bull contingant from them in May there were 1000 red bull repriesentitives there against the Galaxy and there is a strong contingant of people booking flights and hotels already. So we should have a decent number of Red Bull support for the final.

12. Devil500

Devil500 New Member

Mar 7, 2006
    Section 101
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HAha yeah plus the guys who are coming back from Salt Lake. Plus more it's going to be mad!

13. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why all the negativity? Didn't they get almost 37,000 in a god-awful RFK last year? I think it will sell out, no problem.

14. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    yeah, the crowd in dc was good last year, and most of them are neutral too. i dont remember seeing houston and new england each bring 18,000 fans.;) shame to see that it is a long trip for both teams, but i dont expect that to make a huge impact on the overall attendance. expecting a sellout.

15. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Judging by the fact that only about 11,000 people showed up for a World Cup quailifier a few months back, don't be suprised to see a crowd similar to the MLS Cup that Columbus hosted a few years back (San Jose vs Los Angeles I believe).

IIRC, that game wasn't a sellout either.

Just prepare yourselves mentally for a less than full HDC. If it happens to end up over 20,000 then we could probably feel alright about it.

I just don't see that happening however.

16. alexp92

alexp92 Member

Jul 5, 2007
    in terms of the distance, does anyone think that it would be a good idea if they put the cup at a more central venue each year, instead of putting right on the atlantic or pacific coasts? why not places like chicago or kc (once they get their own stadium). that way it isn't as far for either traveling fans of course it's impossible to know who will be playing when the site is picked, but to have columbus play new york in la is stupid imo. the atmosphere won't be as special with too many neutral fans.

17. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should have around 100+ maybe even as high as 200 for the match. Plus i think Red Bull North america is HQ'd out in LA so they will liekly send a few hundred like they did in may for the LA game, so we should be fairly well represented. All things considered.

18. CACuzcatlan

CACuzcatlan Member

Jun 11, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The traditional problem with Chicago is the weather. I'm not very familiar with that part of the country, but it seems like a game at noon should be fine at this time of the year. Imagine the traveling support from Columbus if the MLS Cup were in Chicago this year.

19. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be unreal, I'd like to see St. Louis host the cup as the perennial site (wembley style), perfect centrality and weather wouldn't be bad.

Of course there is that whole matter of them not being in MLS or having a Stadium that would work well. But who am I to let reality stand in the way of my delusions.

20. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The DC vs Kansas City MLS Cup at Carson in 2004 didn't sell out.

I'm guessing the crowd will be in the low 20,000s.

21. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Low 20,000's would be a decent turnout.

22. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least 40 are traveling from Houston.

Like last year, everyone will be represented and fun will be had by all.

Don't hate. Celebrate.

23. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Non-refundable tickets huh ;)

24. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh ha ha ha....you're so funny. :mad:

Unlike Toronto, people here seem to like and support the league.

:p

25. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though organizing the logistics of this would be difficult, I think that there should be an extra week or so between the Conference Championships and the Final. After the winners of the East and West are determined, then a ground should be determined. That choice should be made based on where the clubs are from and it should be a neutral site that is roughly halfway between the two clubs or as close as possible.

The fact that Columbus is playing RBNY in California is absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.