Culinary Disasters

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by When Hell Unfreezes, Nov 20, 2004.

1. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    We had a few laughs when we were first married, over the types of disaster that naturally befall newlyweds :( some of the most memorable were:

My wife's first ever Sunday roast, was chicken (giblets in), potatoes, cabbage and sprouts with gravy - the cabbage tasted awful and was very stringy, transpired she had cooked a cos lettuce :)

Her first attempt at Yorkshire pudding was 3 inches high at the perimeter, but completely uncooked in the middle, so when she took it out of the pot it looked like a halo.

Our first barbecue comprised crispy chicken on the outside, completely frozen in the middle. We renamed her first apple crumble, apple artex.

Her first flambẻ removed her eyebrows and lashes.

Her first loaf of bread weighed about 14lbs and made the table bow in the middle and her first attempt at rice resulted in a glue-like substance that no-one would touch.

She went on to become a first class cook, however!

2. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Wow...well, if at first you don't succeed, try and try again!

3. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm a pretty good cook, but everyone makes mistakes. My most frequent goof is putting too much chili pepper in things, so nobody can eat it.

4. Iceblink

Iceblink Member

Oct 11, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Several years ago, before we were married, my wife attempted to make some kind of potato pancake. I'm not sure what it was supposed to be.

For some reason, something she did to it caused it to congeal or something, and it got kind of shiny... but it also ended up gray.

She can bake with the best of 'em, and she has made some great stuff over the last couple years, but I'm me... so I always have to remind her of the substance I referred to as....

Gray Glop.

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if there's any hope for my husband. Eleven years of being the primary cook and he still refuses to open a cookbook. :rolleyes:

6. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I make these spice cookies every Christmas and one year, instead of putting in allspice, I accidentally used chili powder. It was sort of interesting, actually. Not all that noticeable, but there was a definite taste of chili powder in the cookies.