Cuartos de Final- como ven los cruces de Copa 2010?

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by superfrantheman, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    To be honest, I think Flamengo is done. They couldn't score two against 10, I don't see them scoring two against 11.

2. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Honest q.: would any team try to do so, in such a wide pitch, having a pretty solid advg., while a man down?

Barca fans made the same argument (when faced with the same scenario vs. Inter).

Don't see many any teams trying to play under those conditions.

3. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    São Paulo is up 1-0 at the Mineirão. I thought Cruzeiro was going to win with ease, it's an interesting day so far on the Libertadores.

4. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It sucks, but I can't blame them. It's the best strategy under those circumstances.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    With ease? Hmphf. LOL

About time we scored a goal in the Libertadores; it's been some time. But our defense has been unbeaten for some time too.

6. posteador

posteador Member+

Dec 29, 2006
    Lincoln, UK
    Needless to say...one of the happiest days this year...and one of the most entretaining matches I have watched (at least the bits not messed up by FOX!)

Hopefully we have learned our lessons from relaxing too much like we did against Alianza Lima. We should go all out for the opening goal. Those first 30 minutes were just beautifull to watch. Marking was fierce and counters were fast.

I thought we were going to suffer a lot more in the second half but that goal from el Flaco Fernandez was just what we needed to sort our nerves.

I know Bielsa has officialy anounced the Chilean U.de Chile players will not be called to Mexico (Gracias LOCO! :D)...Estrada should also be back in glory for that return game after Iturra's red card. :D

We just need word from the Uruguayan federation now...

7. Ohiginiano

Ohiginiano Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    El Teniente Stadium
    Club:
    O Higgins Rancagua
    Great win by la "U", I think the azules could have sealed their qualification for the semi-finals on this game, instead of waiting for the second leg. However, every time Flamengo put the ball in the air, it was a big suffering for the defense. I hope la "U" makes it to the semi finals, but we still have to wait for the second leg.

8. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Would love to know your reasoning as to why the second goal would be a foul. As far as I saw Olarra (that's the goal you're talking about, right?) jumped more than fairly and the goalie simply bounces back after not jumping high enough.

1 person likes this.
  9. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Another somewhat surprising result São Paulo is up 2-0 at the Mineirão. The team that so far scored the most of the goals and has the top goal scorer can't score a single goal yet.:eek:

With 20 minutes left, people is already leaving the stadium.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sao Paulo showing it to Cruzeiro.

0-2.

11. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I didn't expect Cruzeiro to bomb like this. Sao Paulo (and Fernandao) are playing a hell of a game.

12. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    There was no offside in that Cruzeiro goal... erroneously invalidated.

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I explained it earlier in the topic. Olarra supports himself as he jumps with his right arm on Bruno, impeding him from jumping high enough. There was a camera angle they showed later during the game that showed it clearly. It doesn't matter now, we have our work cut out for us.

14. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Perfectly valid goal being cancelled because of so-called offside, damn it.

15. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Could be mistaken but I didn't see anything wrong at all, and neither did the commentator.

16. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Very tight off-side call, if it was off-side it was really really thin, possibly the linesman thought that Gilberto made contact with the ball. Luck isn't helping Cruzeiro either.

EDIT: And now the ball hits both posts...

17. Rhand

Rhand Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Mol, Belgium
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Christ, this is exactly the same as last season in the Final when Cruzeiro had like a billion chances but couldn't get the ball into the net. Very annoying!

18. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The great clubs step up when it counts. Sao Paulo has been going through the motions up to now, but tonight they are playing their best game so far.

This is a crazy tournament, lots of unexpected things happened, but I should not have doubted Sao Paulo. They have the best defense in the tournament, and they are handling everything Cruzeiro - with the best offense in the tournament- is throwing at them.

And Hernanes is a monster. He should have been in Dunga's list, instead of guys like Josue.

19. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This.

Totally agree.

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    A great, hard-earned victory for São Paulo in Mineirão against a tough opponent. Fernandão looked awkward at first, but he's an intelligent player and he did his part. He's way better than Washington.

Hernanes was great. I hope he plays in 2014, because he (like other Brazilians - the irony of being Brazilian; being incredibly talented yet not making it to a World Cup roster) has the goods to wear the Brazilian NT jersey.

Cruzeiro will fight to the death next week in Morumbi, and nothing is guaranteed. But with a 2-0 win on the road, I am hopeful São Paulo will not only avenge 2009, but reach the final four for its best Libertadores performance since 2006.

Tomorrow, the other huge game this week: Internacional vs. Estudantes da Prata.

21. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Agreed, given that they still scored 3 goals as an away team.

I wouldn't even compare that to Inter who didn't even try at the Camp Nou, considering they had a 2 goal advantage going in there. They had a mission and it was accomplished. Losing a man was probably the best thing that could have happened to Mourinho. If anything it justified his tactics. Helenio Herrera would have been proud.

22. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Estudiantes will play with 5 defenders apparently, which will make it funny the kind of excuses they'll come up with after Inter is done raping them.;)

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Is there a particular rivalry between Estudantes and Independente?

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Not particularly, but that shouldn't stop them from hating each other. Before Boca's great run this decade, Independiente and Estudiantes were the two Argentine teams considered "Coperos", because of their success in Copa Libertadores. Independiente still is the most succesful club in terms of winning Copa Libertadores titles, but it's been a while, so I can see the rojos fans not wanting Estudiantes to win their second in a row.

As a Boca fan, I have to confess shamefully that last year I somehow found myself supporting Estudiantes, maybe that's what being away from the country for years does to you. But not this year. Two in a row is too much.

I'd have been happy if a small club like Lanus or Banfield won it, but not Estudiantes or Velez. But I figure if the Pinchas get past Inter they probably won't get past Sao Paulo.

25. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    There used to in the early 70s, but not so much anymore, the only thing we have in common is that our arch-rivals are "friends". But i want them to lose after all their crying lately regarding that they're plotting against them(in the league) specially when they actually have been favoured by the officiating more than anybody else. Also they became somewhat unpleasant lately with the whole label "the best of America" by the media, specially how Desábato on Monday was touring around programs bitching around, like if he was a superstar or anything when casually the worst of Estudiantes are the centrebacks(incluiding him), yet the assholes of the media will never take mention of that, which makes me fear that if they don't win either the Libertadores or the league they'll label them as "the champion with no crown" as it was with Boca between 2008 and until Estudiantes won the Libertadores.