CTV/TSN/Sportsnet World Cup Coverage. How did you find it?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by RedandWhite, Jul 14, 2006.

1. RedandWhite

RedandWhite Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Canada
    Now that the World Cup is all done and we have a new, well somewhat new, champion, how would you rate TSN/Sportsnet/CTV coverage of the World Cup?

2. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    I thought they did an excellent job. *thumbs up* I would have liked it better if TLN (spanish/italian) channel would have broadcasted the tournament like in 2002 (i love the mexican commentary) but atleast some of the games on omni (only in the latin american games) had a good commentator.

3. RichardFH

RichardFH New Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think the Sportnsnet/TSN coverage was as good as it gets and nobody beats the low key well informed British commentators who treat their viewers like intelligent, knowledgeable people.

4. Splatypus

Splatypus New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Ottawa
    I was very happy with the coverage. The single commentator cuts down on the useless banter. We also got lots of post game celebration coverage compared to a friend of mine in Sweden. We also were not bombared with on screen graphics like the americans, but formation graphics would have been nice.

5. nucgunner

nucgunner Member

Apr 30, 2004
    Van, Can.
    Overall, quite good. A formation graphic should've happened. It's not hard to do, although that should be more down to the feed than Sportsnet/TSN.

The panel's "analysis" is still way too simplistic for my liking. I don't know if that's really the best our experts can do, or if they're still just catering to the casual fan who doesn't watch much. I think talking up to the audience actually wins more fans than worrying about if they can understand anything tactical, but as I say, I'm not sure if they can do much better.

6. torontofc2007 redded

Jul 10, 2006
    Canada
    The tsn/sporsnet crew were to pro Italian in their opinions, the failed to critize on the Italians poor play all around during the world cup and failed to
    critize the Italians on theri cheating during the australia match. There was
    no way Italy deserved that penalty against australia the Italian fell over the
    Australian, and should himself been booked for diving. Yet the canadian crew for some strange reason believed it was a penalty. Too many beers at the half i guess.

7. alpha november

alpha november New Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Mississauga
    well duh! They make their living in Toronto. Of course they'll be careful. Lucas Neill moved his elbow into Grosso's knee. PK was awarded, a yellow for Grosso for embellishing the incident should have been given.

At least "they" stopped drinking at half time.

8. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    the coverage was fantastic imo.

Announcers; as usual a pleasure to listen to Forrest and Howard, but Rauter annoys me.

All sportsnet channels exept Rogers East had sublime picture and sound quality. Props

TSN's picture was terrible and somewhat ruined the games for me.

Picture quality of final on CTV was no better than TSN.

Also props for not having commercials on live broadcasts.

9. Gordon

Gordon New Member

May 6, 2002
    Saskatoon, SK
    Each game was played at least twice per day which meant those at work during the first broadcast had a chance at the replay. Therefore I rate it outstanding. I don't really pay a lot of attention to the talking heads, nor do I care much about the announcers once I get the names and numbers down.

10. Blizzard

Blizzard Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm happy. The world feed announcers did a quality job and were probably much more neutral than the British home broadcasters would have been.

Also, as mentioned already, multiple viewing opportunites.

I wish evening NHL games were repeated the next morning. That's one thing I used to really like about TSN when it was young. Lots of event repeats.

Bring them back!!!

B

11. canadatoworldcup

Aug 11, 2004
    Niagara Falls, ON
    good job by the crews at sportsnet and tsn and ctv. i thought that they provided a lot of insight to what was going on in the country. i especially loved howard's histories. i thought that was quite entertaining, even though i think that someone else with more of a personality could have done it.

12. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    yea that was really good.

13. pura_vida362

pura_vida362 Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Mississauga, Canada
    yea howard's history was good except i thought it was cheesy when he did his "canadian connection" part.

14. Adriano#1

Adriano#1 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Are these replies for real?

The coverage was terrible!
    What broadcast were you clueless people watching?

Honestly, these replies are all lies or just clueless people who know nothing about fooball.:rolleyes:

Football coverage in Canada on radio and TV sucks, there nothing good it.

15. Regency

Regency Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Toronto
    They were very critical towards them in the USA game.

16. palacalle

palacalle New Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Montreal
    Well for me nothing compares to a latin american commentator...but the commentators for sportsnet did a great job :cool:

17. torontofc2007 redded

Jul 10, 2006
    Canada
    If they are going to be in the media they shouldn't be afraid to be critical of anyone.......Neil was on the ground, getting up Grosso fell over him trying
    for a penalty, the referee bought it.........penalty. Red card should have gone
    Grosso's way for embellishing and a free kick for Australia.