Crystal Palace v. The Arsenal, Monday April 10, 2017

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by mebeSajid, Apr 8, 2017.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Some good analysis. Many of the same old failings vs defensive pressure both high and medium block

http://le-grove.co.uk/2017/04/11/re...on-collapse-has-major-benefits-to-our-future/

The real Arsenal showed up yesterday. The one that cannot deal with teams that boast physical power and at least an iota of organisation. Once again this season, we were hustled in midfield. We have no answers for an aggressive press and what made the Palace approach interesting is they knew where to steal the ball from us, letting us play deep with it, cutting our angles and making it hard for us to break the lines.

Think about this… we conceded 17 chances to 28% possession. If you break that. They had the ball for 25.2 minutes (less because I’m taking a literal percentage of 90mins) of the game and managed to make a chance every 88 seconds. What does that tell you about Arsenal football club right now? It tells you there are deep systemic problems with the approach to football in 2017, and worse, it tells you the players don’t have an ounce of respect for the manager or his vision for the club moving forward.​

daedalus, Aaron d, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Crucial Robbie gotta drop a hot 16 for this season.

DutchCane repped this.
  3. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Slightly more complex than this, I think. Because this stuff simply didn't happen last season.

Fifty repped this.
  4. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That is an embarrassing stat to say the least. Doesn't matter if half the chances were bad because it still means that for what little time Palace had the ball they were in the attacking third.

The converse might arguably be worse. During the near 65 minutes that Arsenal retained possession they created a mere 11 shots, or one every 5.9 minutes! What's the point of possession play if you can't create more chances, let alone finish them?!!

5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My observation is the team were seldom stable in possession

6. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yesterday, was more an issue in the last thirty minutes. Last season, I thought the issues against the counterattack were fixed. Now, they're back with a vengeance. Was Mertesacker that important? Apparently.

7. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Nah its not that. They are playing desperate, and without confidence. The team isn't good enough but the skid is mostly mental. It happens in almost every sport. Players start to take 2 seconds to make a decision that normally takes less than one, stop the ball when they normally would push it into stride.

Its a sad thing to watch.

8. DutchCane

DutchCane Member+

Apr 6, 2004
    New York, New York
    Mebe we all said we needed a quicker you version version of Per smh someone to organize

9. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    For sure. Mustafi is also not that player.

DutchCane repped this.
  10. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice channeling of @thebigman there ;)

DutchCane and thebigman repped this.
  11. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You open yourself up to the counter if you make dangerous passes while the team is not in the correct positions for transition

All of these things are structural

DutchCane repped this.
  13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Look at the positioning on this play

And this pass should never have been attempted

851521244138790912 is not a valid tweet id

dmike repped this.
  14. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe he had a few pints before the game

15. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BULLY SPEAKS!!!

16. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's very sad. When your away supporters turn against the players & manager that's bad, very bad.

In August 2015, I stood in that very stand, the Arthur Wait, with JeffL. We were singing rather different songs that day, especially "49 Undefeated" which sticks in my head. And we won.

BIGHMW repped this.
  18. BIGHMW

BIGHMW Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Port Townsend, WA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, goddamn turncoats, chanting shit like that, in my 5 years of being a Gooner I never thought of the day that a small section of supporters would turn on the club just because of one bad season (and in 20 years at that). Having been and continuing to be an LA Kings fan for 42 years, I remember that there was ONLY ONE TIME I ever turned on our head coach and/or general manager and that was in 1983-84, when we were having yet another losing season under head coach Don Perry (his third season as our bench boss, all with losing records) and GM George Maguire at the time, we knew we weren't gonna make the playoffs (again) so I decided to yell "FIRE MAGUIRE!!! BURY PERRY!!!" so that our (then) owner Dr. Jerry Buss could hear it. It worked, at season's end both were fired, We had a winning record the following season with a new coach (the late Pat Quinn before he turned on us) and new General Manager and future Hockey Hall Of Fame goaltender Rogie Vachon.

So what did Arsene Wenger do to warrant such chants like the "We Want You To Go" one I heard just because of one poor season in 20 years (if you consider sixth and out of European places that)??? If this were to become habitual enough to the point where it becomes detrimental to the club, then yes, he deserves to go, but however I think otherwise. We all have a right to be frustrated this campaign but this abuse of both our club and its players has got to stop. It's one thing to chant about Stan Kroenke (the "Get Out Of Our Club" chant), it's another to do this about those who proudly don the Red & White and represent the best of North London for 90 minutes. After all, they're only doing what they're told to do.

19. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're just inside 48hrs until the Boro match. Anyone want to take a turn starting the next thread?

20. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just carry on with this thread. Relegation battling Boro versus don't-give-a-******** Arsenal? Boro all day.

Fifty repped this.
  21. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. Fifty

Fifty Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't done everything he could to win the league for a decade. He's a fraud to the theory of sport.