Crystal Palace USA

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by Hax, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
  2. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  3. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    I'm confused, where on earth are they playing? The newspaper article makes it seem like they'll play in Annapolis, but the web site said something about Baltimore. Also, is the roster listed on the club's web site from the '06 exhibition game? Can college players only be in the PDL or can they appear for USL-2 sides as well?

I think it'd be great for Annapolis to have a team. The Maryland Mania played a couple of games at Anne Arundel Community College, but it was as the franchise was dying out. I have no idea what kind of support they would have, but there's lots of youth teams locally. Interesting stuff, indeed!

4. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    This will be a Baltimore based team as the teams offices are in BelAir. That was the initial plan from the start. I believe they palyed in Annapolis as it was the best option at the time. Not sure as not a whole lot else has been released.

5. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    I found the answer to one of my own questions: the roster on the club's web site is from the exhibition game in July.

The newspaper article makes it seem like the club might play in Annapolis from the start until they get their own facility built. I don't know if they'd try to use Navy's facilities or AACC. The newspaper article also claims more details will be announced later this month, we'll see...

6. GUYJ

GUYJ Member

Mar 6, 2000
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    Did not know they were moving up to USL-2 - Sweet!

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, the club said they will announce more through their website and USL by the end of the year.

8. UnitedNut

UnitedNut Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Towson, MD USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone is interested: you can buy Crystal Palace USA jersey's at Soccer Towne in Hunt Valley.

I'm curious to know where they are going to play. One (of the many) problems the Maryland Mania, the last USL team here in Maryland, had was facilities. They played at the UMBC stadium for the first half of their single season. But that field has artificial turf and at the time was not ideal. They wound up closing out their season at Anne Arundel Community College. The last PDL team in the area was the Chesapeake Dragons and they played at Bowie State University.

I'm definitley looking forward to catching their first season in 2007. I hope it is the first of many!

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Naval academy in Annapolis for the first year.

They are working on their own facility.

10. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    The problem with playing at the Naval Academy is the parking issue. If I recall correctly, civilians can't park on campus, meaning that fans will either have to walk or park at the football stadium and take a shuttle. Such an arrangement is not exactly the most conducive to drawing crowds. Crystal Palace could play at the football stadium, but it's got Field Turf and is probably a lot more expensive to rent. The soccer facility is great, it has a grass pitch, and the standard amenities, but I worry that its location on campus makes it difficult for some to attend games. In any case, I can't wait for the season to start, I hope Annapolis and the surrounding area supports this team. The Maryland Mania didn't work out, but truth be told, the franchise was already dead when it moved to Annapolis mid-season. Crystal Palace needs to spread the word throughout downtown, and hopefully good things will happen!

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    There is plenty of parking on campus, the problem is, you can't park on campus unless you're affiliated with the Academy or US Gov't. Since 9/11, the Academy has been closed to vehicular traffic, and if the policy remains (which I believe it does), they require civilians to park out at the football stadium and take a shuttle bus to campus. Of course, you could park in Annapolis and walk, but parking downtown is very tough.

As for the stadium, the Glenn Warner facility is great. What you don't see in that photograph is the adjacent building that has concessions, restrooms, locker rooms, and Navy's soccer museum. And what you also don't see is the great view, those bleachers face the Severn River, so you can watch soccer as well as sailboats!

13. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    That's the way great traditions start. Say you get a group of CP-USA fans together before a match at Reynolds Tavern, the Ramshead or some other local pub. After a few pints, you and your pals march to the stadium singing songs and gathering hangers on.

OK, I'll way up from my day dream now...:p

Hmm, I miss Annapolis.

14. spal

spal Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Palace chairman today said that our young professionals may come over and play the season do get some competitive action because reserves are not what they used to be anymore.

15. James Calder

James Calder New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Washington DC
    I'm in touch with Jim Cherneski at Palace USA and it now seems it won't be Annapolis - that's all I can say for the moment. Meanwhile, I'll find out if the supposed new location is for public consumption.

:)

16. gherter

gherter Member

Sep 16, 2002
    Leesburg, Virginia
    If they go to the soccerplex, I will buy season tickets.

That place is just over the river from me. :)

17. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    That blows, big time! Annapolis would've been a great venue. Maybe Bowie could work, you could draw from Anne Arundel county and Annapolis (since Bowie is just down Rte. 50) while tapping into the youth programs there. I know Chesapeake Athletic operates from Bowie, but the PDL team never seemed to have a big following. The Soccer Plex is too much of a pain for many folks I know.

18. MDSoccerDude

MDSoccerDude Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Owings Mills, MD
    Isn't the team building it's academy in Harford county? If so, then they should play somewhere closer to it, after all it is Crystal Palace Baltimore.

19. Palace3

Palace3 New Member

Jan 19, 2007
    DATE: 1/19/07
    BEL AIR, MD –PROFESSIONAL SOCCER CLUB, CRYSTAL PALACE USA ANNOUNCES OPEN TRYOUTS FOR THE 2007 OUTDOOR SEASON.
    Crystal Palace USA, the professional outdoor team and farm team to the European club, Crystal Palace FC, announced today that it would host open tryouts for its men’s team. The team will begin its inaugural season with the USL in April 2007. Registration and confirmation for the open tryouts may be done by contacting suzi@crystalpalaceusa.com. Individuals wishing to try out should come prepared for indoor and outdoor tryouts.

Where: Harford Community College of Bel Air, Maryland
    When: Monday, February 5 & Tuesday, February 6, 2007 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.

20. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. ryano

ryano Member

Mar 9, 2000
    Huntsville, AL
    Are they going to play in Cal's Minor League Baseball stadium?

22. GUYJ

GUYJ Member

Mar 6, 2000
    Lincoln Park, NJ
    In looking at the schedule on their Website it shows the home games as being in Aberdeen. I hear so many different places - can someone explain where they will be playing this season, and where the permanent home is expected to be?

Also, what about signing of players? Have not heard anything.

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They might be playing here. This is by the HCC campus and where they are holding tryouts. The WIkipedia page says it has a capacity of 1,000, which isn't out of the realm of thinking for USL-2.

The satellite image is here.

24. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ripken Stadium a possible site

Also some interesting comments from Pete Medd, team GM.

25. Frank2

Frank2 New Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I am a transplanted Baltimorian. Living on Florida any sports team from up there interest me...Florida don't have many soccer teams here and those that are, are far from my location...Any info is welcome to me...I have Crystal Palace in my favorites list ever since I saw the story on the Baltimore team in USL...I hope they grow to be a perament team for me to follow....My question is ...Are they going to use the parent clubs kit as their kit...I want to support my home team in any way I can...