Crow Leaves SD for WUSA Job

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Tsunami, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    From the North County Times:

Crow flying Spirit's coup
    BRIAN HIRO
    North County Times

=================================

Was Lynn Morgan over in San Diego before she became the Beat GM?

3. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    so he is going to f around w/ the league now and not just the spirit?

:rolleyes: great!

4. AB1FAN

AB1FAN New Member

Sep 11, 2001
    whereever I want
    Club:
    FFC Turbine Potsdam
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if i remember correctly she was both.

5. M9fanatic

M9fanatic Member

Oct 31, 2000
    North Side.
    So let me get this straight. It will be his job to keep Overzealous GM's in check? Uh nuh. Yeah that should work. :rolleyes:

On the upside... if someone screws up we'll get to read his pleasent coments about them. That should be fun.

6. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

Thanks for posting this Tsunami. The article appeared on the front page of the San Diego U-T sports page right below an article titled "Kournikova: Knockout" that had a large picture of Anna in action last night at La Costa (on the tennis court of course ;) ).

Thanks to this positioning on the front page I'm sure that a few readers of the U-T who normally don't follow the WUSA at least noticed this article. ;)

7. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Replacements at both positions

Who would you want to see as the new coach of the team, and why? Make both a 'dream' and 'somewhat realistic' choice.

And how about general manager? Since the team has done fairly well off the field, should someone from within the organization be selected?

8. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

Re: Replacements at both positions

I wonder if UCSD Triton head coach Brian McManus has received any serious consideration for the Spirit job? It has been amazing to see what McManus has been able to accomplish winning so many National Championships at a school that doesn't even offer athletic scholarships.

Along with being an outstanding coach, as an added bonus, McManus is even fluent in Scottish. :)

"It's unbelievable here at Torero Stadium. The fans had some Scottish flags and it was a fantastic welcoming. It's a great place to play football and I'm delighted to be here."
    Julie Fleeting 7/14/02

Charter Member of the Spectres

9. Tsunami

Tsunami Member

Oct 16, 2000
    SD, CA
    Club:
    Arsenal LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coach McManus

Brian McManus would seem to be a very good choice. There are several questions about selecting him, though:

Why would he want to coach the Spirit? He has been doing a great job at UCSD, gets very intelligent and highly motivated scholar-athletes to instruct, and doesn't have anyone looking over his shoulder. And even though his teams have been NCAA champions for the past three years, there are no great expectations because the university does not allow athletic scholarships.

Assuming that he would like to accept the challenge, would the Spirit and UCSD be able to let Coach McManus hold both jobs at the same time? After all, the two regular seasons do not have any overlap. Would the CCAA, NCAA, and WUSA allow it?

10. Shawn

Shawn New Member

Aug 7, 1999
    So. Florida...too fa
    Ok...still not sure if im happy bout this or just relieved that crow's not with the spirit!

On him doing a good job...sometimes you promote someone who's a lil out there...cause he'll have the attitude with the rest of the GM's that try what he's done unsuccessfully or gotten away with..he'll have the been there done that attitude!

Ya know like some of the worst students or kids make the best teachers/parents!! ok worst not meaning grades...:D

11. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I read this article yesterday at home I nearly spilled my coffee on my lap McDonald's style and fell off the couch.

You mean Crow is leaving but STILL gets to pick our new coach AND our new GM???

Sheesh. How much worse could it get? :eek:

Having said that, at least Crow won't be coaching or acquiring players. Maybe he did well as far as off-the-field management (was/is he in charge of most of that stuff?), but his on the field record is abysmal, and that's what worries me about his hiring of our coach and GM.

Whatever.

12. tritonspirit

tritonspirit New Member

Ask Lynn Morgan Directly

If you would like to know why Lynn Morgan created the new position of WUSA Chief Operating Officer and why she hired Kevin Crow, you have an opportunity to ask her on "Inside Soccer" this Saturday.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4634

"It's unbelievable here at Torero Stadium. The fans had some Scottish flags and it was a fantastic welcoming. It's a great place to play football and I'm delighted to be here."

Julie Fleeting 7/14/02

Charter Member of the Spectres