Croatia-Turkey, Quarterfinals, EURO 2008 [R]

Discussion in 'Knock-out Phase' started by soccer333, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    This comparison to Greece is misplaced and based more on geographic association and simply because Greece was the champions in 2004 and we're in 2008.

The Greeks scored 7 goals in six games last time around. Their game was based on a defensive structure that relied solely on counter attacks or set pieces for goals. In four matches, Turkiye have scored six goals... arising from open play and none from set pieces or even a penalty. In a game that was played with caution on both ends, it's highly erroneous that some here want to say that Turkiye is the next Greece. Luck maybe a factor, but it's not the only factor. Arda's goal, Nihat's goal and then Semih's goal in extra time... has anyone taken time to see how these shots were executed? Almost all three were near the edge of the box or pretty close. We're not talking about tap in goals or deflections of ridiculous proportions... Arda comes in from the flank against Switzerland, passes two defenders and rips a shot (takes a slight deflection). Nihat picks up a pass, then executes a perfect bending shot (hits the bar)... Semih takes a volley that passes between two defenders into the top corner.... LUCK? Do the people making these assertions play football? Do they realize how hard it is to hit a shot and the skill that is required?

2. Gandalf The Red

Gandalf The Red BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 23, 2006
    You counter this by allowing a further sub or maybe 2

3. willy_svw

willy_svw Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Bremen, Germany
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I´m definitely looking forward to see Germany vs. Turkey, but I´m not looking forward to everything what happens aside the pitch...everyone living in Germany might know what I mean....

4. Pakalolo

Pakalolo Member

Apr 27, 2006
    at home
    ugh, first congrats to the Turks, great EC so far. but do you really think that the only advantage the German team has is size? :confused:
    and what do you mean with skill? because when you mean technical skills, I've seen nothing yesterday which warrants such a claim. or didn't you see Germanys first goal f.e.? to claim that the German team are solely 6 foot robots you can run and jump is totally wrong. players like Podolski, Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Ballack ... have great skills.

5. soccer333

soccer333 New Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Ok man no need to get pissed on here. Stick with the topic and save your pity, discriminating opinions to yourself..

6. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well I live in a tiny Green Zone in between Berlin Kreuzberg and Neukölln. These districts surrounding me make Berlin the third largest turkish city in the world.

However I am convinced that we wont experience any serious troubles in case Germany would win. Most turks here have three hearts, two for turkey and one for Germany. And so it is no suprise that their cars carry the same amount of flags. The usual suspects will behave if their brothers and even fathers celebrate alongside them.

7. shalom82

shalom82 New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    I can. It's called Turkey!:D

8. soccer333

soccer333 New Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    Re: Croatia-Turkey, Quarterfinals, EURO 2008

Why don't you pick a team and stick with it? Or did your favorite team already lose to Turkiye and you just want to see Turkiye lose? To me that's pretty hateful man. You need a happy pill..

9. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006

shouldnt u be support San Jose funboy, dont preach to me!
    all u american funboys with several affiliations:mad:

10. Gandalf The Red

Sep 23, 2006
    I know I find this amusing those 4 germans are worth more on the market then the entire turkish squad:cool:

11. soccer333

soccer333 New Member

Dec 4, 2003
    Fresno, CA
    First of all congrats to Turks. And for Croatia, I got pretty emotional when I watched your whole team in sadness on the pitch after a tough loss. I support Turkiye in this tourney with all my heart as their style speaks of who I am as a person as well as on the pitch. I have played competitive futbol for years with countless nationalities on my team and I know what it's like to win and lose, especially in PKs.
    It is definitely going to be a tough match against Germany. But I am hoping Turks have 1 or 2 more tricks left in them. After all if I didn't believe in miracles before, after the last 3 games Turkiye played I definitely do now..

Remember people, Turkiye was the 3rd place winner during 2002 World Cup and Rustu was a giant then as well. Six years later he still has people talking about him..

When some people get on here and make comments such as them wanting to see Turkiye lose regardless of who beats them is what gets me upset. That's just pure hate. Someone who watched this team in this tournament who can still make these comments can not be a true fan of this game. Because no matter what religion you believe in or where you come from if this Turkiye team has not impressed you then I find it hard to believe that these people are true fans. That leaves only one possibility. Their hate of Turkiye has exceeded the love they have for this game. You know who you are..

12. VCFan

VCFan New Member

May 14, 2008
    WOW :eek:

Certainly don't lack for confidence, these Turks :rolleyes:

13. Black Label

Black Label New Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Utrecht
    Dude, you don't have to deal with hundreds of Turks honking in your street all night ;)

14. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    The SFA wanted to use video evidence to retrospectively punish divers and FIFA/UEFA were flat against it. You've also got the president of UEFA pretty much saying that diving is acceptable.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jun/07/euro2008?gusrc=rss&feed=football

Given that, I can't see anything happening with unjust yellow cards.

On the topic of suspensions for accummulated yellow cards, what I would like to see is a suspension only enforced if a player is booked in consecutive games.

15. besiktasfan

besiktasfan Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Turkey
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey

and u are not either german , spanish , italian or dutch , are you ??? haha what a pitty . i wish u were able to talk about your team instead of talking other national teamms :) u are hoping maybe even praying that some one will beat turkey .. (i said '' dont matter the oppenent'' as a response to ur comment which saying that : croatian team is much better than swiss and czechs and turkey can not do it again) u keep on hoping u racist dude !

16. besiktasfan

besiktasfan Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Turkey
    Club:
    Besiktas JK
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    I agree with all u have written !

17. shalom82

shalom82 New Member

Apr 27, 2008
    I think Germany will make it past Turkey. But I hope Turkey wins.
    No matter how boring their game is, I have nothing but respect for the heart they put into the field. They have beaten opponents that are far stronger than them, and I wish them to go as far as possible in this tournament.

Portugal needs to see, to realise that it's not just technique that makes a team.

18. The Natural

The Natural New Member

Jun 3, 2008
    Aside from the numerous backhanded compliments given to Turkey they have truly added so much to this tournament. Can't stop watching their last minute goals enough and to see defenses break down with costly mistakes and how the Turks were able to exploit those errors. What happened yesterday was just way too surprising just when I thought Turkey was getting a taste of their own medicine with that late Croation goal they found a way to come back yet again.

19. BlitzKrieg

BlitzKrieg New Member

Nov 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    There is a lot of crap being said here. I don't care if it is the first or the 100th time they have scored late comeback goals. It is still luck which follows Turkey amazingly. I honestly congratulate them on a battling display and a victory in the end. I respect every oponent but yesterday Croatia outplayed Turkey and we have failed to turn superiority into a clear win. I am really dissapointed with the referees again although I am not saying they are the cause of our loss. The fourth ref didn't let the last substitute to happen and no one ever showed any 2 minutes of extra time. This time it caused something unlike against Austria where we won despite the obvious helping to the hosts. Sad, but still proud to be Croat.

20. Borussia

Borussia Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    Fürth near Nuremberg
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Congrats to Turkey on making the surprise and reaching the semi-final! What an impressive comeback once again after the late 0:1 shocker! :eek: Kudos!

A revenge game against Croatia would have been nice ... but a match between Germany & Turkey is always very interesting & exciting! ;)

21. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the Greece - Turkey comparisons are misleading. Turkey's success is surprising, especially given the circumstances. However, anyone who knows anything about footballl knows that Turkey's football team is a force to be reckoned with. Greece came from completely out of the blue to win that tournament and were, in my opinion the least likely winners, albeit Latvia to win Euro 2004. That's what made Greece such a huge success story - it would have been a bit like Angola winning the world cup.

Let's not forget that this Turkey side has players who played in world cup semifinal and euro cup quarterfinal just six and eight years ago respectively. Also, thanks to the success of Fenerbache, they have a lot of players with champions league experience and pedigree. No one expected Turkey to make it to the semifinals but I don't see what is so surprising about Turkey coming second in a group containing Switzerland and an ageing Czech Republic.

Turkey's success story is a unique one thats pretty incomparable to anything we've witnessed before - with all the injuries and suspensions and the consecutive last minute comebacks. Comparing Turkey to Greece is a little disrespectful of this Turkey team and undermining of Greece's extraordinary accomplishment some 4 years ago. The only team in this tournament that would have fit that bill would have been Austria but they left early as we can all see.

22. Almogavar92

Almogavar92 New Member

Aug 17, 2001
    USA
    Club:
    Galatasaray SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    We were disappointed with the referee as well... especially when he failed to award a penalty when Tuncay was taken down in the box and the numerous questionable calls... its a two way street this refereeing business.

23. 1a Schnitzel

1a Schnitzel Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    the match may have appeared boring but I guess we all agree that the Croatians are far from being considered an easy victim. As we know now, two goals advantage dont mean jack against the turks in the 65th minute.

24. Darryl

Darryl Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Congrats to Turkey, so far my favorite team of the tournament. If they meet the Netherlands in the final then I won't know what to do...

How anyone can complain about the goal coming too late? Rustu launched his free kick at 56 seconds into extra time, Semih's goal went in at 1:01. There was a minute of stoppage time. If Croatia hadn't celebrated for so long. What did you expect the ref to do, blow the whistle while Semih is winding up his kick?

And anyone who is scowling over Turkey must have no love of this sport. I never had any feelings for Turkey one way or another, but unless you're Swiss, Czech or Croatian, how can you not be captivated and thrilled by Turkey's never-give-up resolution and their heart? Especially in the last two games, you saw it, their players wanted it more, they deserve what they've got and they're making this tournament one to remember. I've watched their last three games almost breathless. I hope they come back again against Germany.

Here's a good article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/international/euro_2008/article4184064.ece

25. MarocFAN

MarocFAN Member

May 18, 2006
    Morocco/Germany
    Congrats Turkey!
    I think i will leave Germany next wednesday:D