Critisism of the Wizards (R)

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by jamesf24, Aug 18, 2002.

1. jamesf24

jamesf24 New Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Brighton, MI
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 3 games, outscored 14 to 3. What's missing?

Is there internal bickering in the locker room or what?

One factor that's missing, is Diego Gutierrez, who must have meant alot more to this team than I thought?

Bo Osh, should go, with all the goalkeeping talent in the US, we should be able to do better than a #2.

We got 1 good year from a mediocre player, Zavagnin, and thought he could do it every year....

Ditto for Vermes.....

Garcia gets alot of hype, but everyone seems to hate him, and even I think he's a bit dirty.....

When is Burciaga going to be back from injury? Not that he would do any better, but at least he could be developing.

KC's philosophy seems to be "expect extrordinary things froms ordinary people"...."every game".

There is no substitute for talent.....

That being said, KC has it, but Bob G. doesnt want to put it all on the field at the same time.

The 1st 11 should easily include, every time barring injury or suspension, Preki, Simuntikov, Fabbro, Armstrong, McKeon, Gutierrez, Klein....if they are available.

How many times have Simu & Fabbro played together?

I was hyped up about Quill, and he has been dangerous, but hasnt been able to finish worth a damn, we already have a non-finisher in Brown.

OK, done ranting.

James

2. LSNsoccer362238

LSNsoccer362238 New Member

Dec 6, 2001
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I agree with you on most things...but if Kerry isnt even mediocre, then what is he?

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just got back from the game and Diego did play tonight. Didn't help much.

We were just plain awful. In all departments.

The line up was strange from the beginning, who was supposed to be playing right mid? At times it was Preki ,then Q and Burns overlapping, now there's a threat!

Our back four all played terribly and Bo keeps lying down instead of standing up his man.

Our midfield play was non-existent, Preki had one of his worst games in a long time. Lots of errant passes and Igor and Armstrong seemed very reluctant to shoot.

This is a side with no confidence right now. Witness Brunt's shakey backpasses to Bo for evidence of that.

We need a shake up in the locker room to get some of these guys working for each other, A few started to give up early.

Credit to the Crew, they took us apart with some neat passes and great finishing.

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Re: Criticism of the Wizards (R)

Actually it's 15 to 3 if you're scoring at home...or even if you're by yourself.

KC will improve, they were without 4 of their best 5 players, 2 other starters back from injury recently, unbelievably tired from playing 2x plus every week for the last 2 months, and Clb played good enough to beat anyone tonight.

The biggest problem is the schedule: After 2 solid months of 2 games per week scheduling; KC gets four more competitive games in the next 13 days with a fifth "friendly" wedged inbetween. Unbeleivable scheduling. You can bet LA will kick their butt, Milwaukee might also, The Rocester game will be a joke either for the score or the cards, Morelia will be a formality if not a joke, and then Chicago comes to clean up whatever is left of our strung out, overburdened, and probably more injured KC team. Should be a great 2 weeks of Wizard bashing by all the idiots whose teams didn't advance in two cups.

5. BenC1357

BenC1357 Member

Feb 23, 2001
    KC
    james:

I feel just as bad as you do, but let me disagree on a couple points....

-Before the game a few of us were discussing how Bo is one of the better #2's in the league. Tell me if you think even one of C-bus's goals were his fault. He cant do much if they are shooting from the six yard box.

-Diego played....

-Burciagua??? You think he is going to be better the people we played? Maybe Brunt, but did you not notice Talley on the bench and then being subbed for Vermes? Brunt 90 minutes, and the other two splitting time. (Granted, Vermes is just coming back, and probably couldnt go 90)

-I totally agree that its BOB. Something has to change. Too many times our boys are coming out uninspired. Its getting old.

6. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    First Brunt was playing centrally for most of the game, or at least attempting to. Not a reasonable request to ask a two-game starter rookie to cover West, Cunningham, and Buddle. Not a reasonable request at all. They abused him. Every team in MLS would have.

Second, every game they play from now to Colorado can be summed up in four words. KC has dead legs and fried brains.

KC hasn't looked this slow and disoriented in years. But understand, they have had no break longer than three days since June 22, and will not get one until September. That's the price of going deep into Cups and having a GM and league that schedules as suicidally as they do with a f***ing 18 man roster.

The silver lining is they get a two week rest after Chicago and have a home and home with Colorado. NE is already dead. Metros will likely kill dc, or vice versa. KC might have a shot at playing the East champ or more likely SJ/Dal. KC can beat either of them, and has.

7. rudeboy

rudeboy Member

Jul 5, 2001
    Kansas City
    simple answers

the answer is simple, and I wish to thank columbus for showing us how it is done.

Our number one problem is that we never ever have a forward in the box in front of the goalie. We can't score from the wings, there is no angle, we don't have the finishers and we play it up the left flank every fscking time. I don't mind playing it up the wings if we have someone pushing up the middle to collect the cross, but this is never the case. Our center forward is always playing a depressesd roll which resembles more of a midfielder then a forward. Remember when we had a forward that would push up, we won the cup and that forward was Molnar! Plain and simple, we need a guy in the middle who wil play up front, take charge and push up again and again and again.

8. PezJunkie

PezJunkie Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Independence, MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Criticism of the Wizards (R)

If you really want to nitpick (and apparently you do...) It's actually 9 to 1 over the last 3 games. 15 - 2 if you throw in the Morelia game.

Not that it makes much difference. Whether you can count or not, this team still stinks.

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Never said he wasn't playing centrally. But I have to question Gansler's decision to do so. Talley played in the second half and looked fit.

Why didn't Talley play the whole match?

Brunt plays way too far off his man. I mean he is allowing guys way too much room in the box without smothering them. Good defenders should never do that. There were a couple of crosses whipped in by the Crew in the first half where Brunt was at least 10 yards away from his man. Unforgivable.

The problem was Vermes looked no better. His lack of pace was severely exposed last night too.