cristiano Ronaldo's dribbling ability

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by carlito86, Jul 30, 2016.

?

Do you think cristiano ronaldo was a legendary dribbler from 2007-2010

1. Yes I agree he was

12 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. I think he was a fantastic dribbler but not legendary

35 vote(s)
    58.3%
  3. I think he was barely average and extremely overrated

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  4. He couldn't dribble to save his own life

2 vote(s)
    3.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #1 carlito86, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Since I have joined big soccer the most striking thing that has occurred to me is that every time (or almost ) cristiano Ronaldo is being discussed alot of praise is given to him for his goal scoring prowess but hardly any for his dribbling ability or even his overall technical level.

Now before I even begin to make my case for cr7 let me start by saying that I don't intend that this thread become another messi/Ronaldo/whatever else debate.
    imo Lionel Messi is in the first tier of dribblers(all time) along with Maradona and possibly non other,garrincha peaked in the 50s and early 60s and with the exception of a few games from wc 58 and 62 I have not seen enough of him to place him in the top tier. I am aware that in Brazil many consider him to be Superior to Pele but I am the kind of person that has to see to believe.

Just below the goat tier of dribblers I would put George Best ,r9 at his absolute peak 96-99 and Pele a player I did not see live of course but there is more than enough footage online for me to make a judgement about his overall ability.

And finally In the third tier of legendary dribblers there are quite a few that I would include amongst them are cruyff,zico,Baggio,savicevic(could be extremely greedy but it was only because he was so good at it),rivelino,prosinecki etc
    there are of course a few pre war legends that I have not included that quite possibly would've made the second tier sir tom finney(not exactly pre war but close) and of course meazza but sadly as is the case with garrincha I have not seen enough footage to make an absolute judgement

Now going back to Cristiano Ronaldo who is the topic of discussion after having gone over possibly hundreds of his games during what I would classify as his dribbling peak 2007-2011 I would like to make the case that he was in the third tier of the very best of all time dribblers.

from the moment he peaked in 2006/07 at 21 years old comparisons with George Best were common place and the most striking similarity between the 2 was not that they were both goal scoring wingers but that they could entertain crowds and terrify defenders with equal measure.
    of course every player who dons the number 7 shirt for Manchester United and is talented will draw comparisons with George Best a good example would be Ryan giggs.
    many noted that he had the potential to be as good as George best when he was a wonder kid in the early 90s but 25 years later not many would put giggs in their top 50 or possibly even top 100 players(he never made top 10 in ballon dor even once in his career)

cristiano Ronaldo as I hope everybody will accept is a complete different case.
    Now George Best past away a good 2 years before cristiano Ronaldo actually peaked but in 2005 shortly before his death he said about cr7
    "There have been a few players described as the new George Best but this is the first time it has actually been a compliment to me"
    http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/34923104

By the end of the 2006/07 season when Ronaldo won his first league title ,every single individual award in England and finished runner up in the 2007 ballon dor George Best comparisons didn't look so far fetched anymore

In March 2008 Cristiano Ronaldo broke George bests 40 year old of 32 goals in a season by a wide player(George Best scored 32 in 67/68 and Ronaldo ended up with 42 goals in 07/08)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2294962/Cristiano-Ronaldo-tops-George-Bests-record.html

The first to say that Ronaldo was Manchester United's best ever player was johann Cruyff who said that he had surpassed George Best and Denis law
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/johan-cruyff-pays-cristiano-ronaldo-725552

after Ronaldo had completed his legendary 2007/08 season and was rewarded with his first ballon dor trophy bobby Charlton hailed him as one of Manchester United's all time greats and superior to George Best
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...reatest-says-Sir-Bobby-Charlton-Football.html

This is ronaldo at 23 years old TWO years into his peak . Fast forward to 2016 and we now know c.ronaldo has had one of the longest peaks ever seen in European football history only surpassed by Messi(in quality and marginally in consistency)no forward comes close.
    The only thing that effects c.ronaldo when ranking him as a dribbler is after he was 26 years old(2010) he was no longer the same dribbling threat perhaps he became an even better player(goal scorer definitely,passer arguably) but his dribbling no doubt deteriorated.

The case I am making is that from 21 years old to 26 so basically his last 3 seasons with United and his phenomenonal debut with real Madrid he was a dribbler worthy of comparison to nearly any elite dribbler in football history.

now for the purpose of this discussion/thread I have made a near 20 min long comp based almost entirely on his dribbling runs from 21-26 years at least 80% of the comp is focused on his dribbling from 2007-2010 the other 20% is based on solo goals from the same period,some skills(effective ones where he actually beats an opponent) and there are a few(probably 5-6) solo goals from 2012- that I have also included . there are hardly any repetitions so I would say that there are MANY dozens of quality dribbling runs and goals to judge from

now there are probably quite a few if not all of the dribblers Included in the third tier who have superior ball control to cristiano ronaldo but in terms of effectiveness and the danger of his dribbles there are not many if any(probably exc Baggio) who were as "dangerous" as cristiano ronaldo.
    as you will note after watching the comp many of his dribbling runs start from his own half or the half way line and either taking a shot on goal or scoring.
    and the vast majority of his other dribbles start at least 30 away metres from the opposition teams goal

I will finish by saying that whoever chooses to comment in this thread I would greatly appreciate if we could keep this civil and only to make comments relevant to the topic of discussion.

2. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I think Cristiano Ronaldo at his peak in dribbling probably was in that third tier you mention. A lot of people play down his dribbling because it relied more on sheer speed (as opposed to close control) than many other great dribblers. Not that he didn't have great close control too, but a lot of his effectiveness came with the "kick it past your opponent and beat him to the ball" move. Some people don't think of that as dribbling ability, and if they don't, then that provides the reason they wouldn't rate Cristiano Ronaldo's dribbling as highly. However, I tend to care just about effectiveness no matter how it is achieved. Whether he beat defenders through close control or by simply being faster than them, Cristiano Ronaldo was a very very effective dribbler. And so I think it's perfectly reasonable to put him in that third tier.

With that said, it does bear noting with Cristiano Ronaldo that his peak in dribbling was not that long and did not much coincide with his peak in scoring. Personally, I wouldn't say he was at that dribbling level in 2010-2011 anymore, for instance. He was still a very good dribbler that season--so I'm sure you could come up with videos of him making great dribbles--but he had started utilizing it less. The same could arguably be said for the 2009-2010 season. I think his dribbling that season was a bit below his very peak dribbling. But not enough below that I wouldn't count it as his prime. So I'd say his peak dribbling was 2006-2007 to 2009-2010. In that period, I think he was in that third tier of dribbling legends. One problem for Cristiano Ronaldo's legacy is that that period does not really coincide with his best scoring years. All those years with 50+ goals a season have come outside of his dribbling prime (and he pretty rapidly declined in dribbling, so this is quite a meaningful issue). 2007-2008 was still a great scoring year, but it was a hair below his later scoring level. In my opinion, 2009-2010 was the only season that he perhaps combined his peak dribbling with his peak scoring. That's why I think it was his peak in terms of quality, even if it was not his peak in terms of achievements.

ko242, benficafan3 and carlito86 repped this.
  3. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I don't think there is much I can disagree with you on except 1 thing
    Why is 4 consecutive seasons a short dribbling peak?
    You have r9 who was only a "2nd tier" goat dribbler for 2 club seasons in Europe (1996/97 and 1998/99) that's not to say he wasn't already good in Holland and cruzerio but he was not the phenomenon at dribbling that he eventually became from 96-98.

another thing that I think you are mistaken in is you are conflating his goal scoring with his dribbling,basically you don't think he should be rated very highly as a dribbler because he was not a goat goal scorer at the same time.i think you Barcelona fans have been spoilt by Messi,I would like you to show me any other player who managed to combine top tier dribbling and goal scoring

look the way I see it c.ronaldo's consistency has been so long that I think it would be better if we spilt it into 2 categories the first being the 2007-2010 period where he was not a goat goalscorer but he was still the top scoring player in the world despite playing the majority of the time as either a left midfielder or a free roaming forward who was given a green light by ferguson(and pellegrini) to cause havoc on either wing and through the middle

Check this
    From 06/07-09/10(club only)
    Cristiano Ronaldo scored 124 goals in 188 games ratio:0.66

Now let's compare this to a few other strikers best ever scoring streaks(4 consecutive seasons) 02/03-05/06
    Thierry Henry
    134 goals in 193 games ratio:0.69

eto'o 07/08-10/11
    106 goals in 164 games ratio:0.58

Van nistelrooy
    126 goals in 172 games ratio:0.72

el fenomeno first 4 seasons with real Madrid
    100 goals in 164 games ratio:0.61
    (I did not include his peak only because he didn't exactly have a 4 consecutive season peak in a major European league)

so you see cr7 from 06/07-09/10 was just behind Thierry Henry/rvn best ever goal scoring and superior to eto and post peak r9 in addition to being a third tier dribbler at the same time . there is no other dribbler in that third category who holds the same distinction so saying he was not a goat scorer during this point of his career is not really a valid point.

You also have to take into consideration Ronaldo was already a bone fide legend at 24 years old
    3× ballon dor winner under pre 1995 rules(1× ballon dor twice runner up behind south American players)

a top 3 legend in Manchester uniteds history along with best and Charlton and according to many the best epl player of all time if not in consistency than certainly in peak level

I think that a lot of posters not necessarily you that talk about cr7's career and overall football ability only started watching him perhaps in 2012 it is either that or they cannot accept that a player who has had a near 10 year peak as a top 3 player in the world can go through many stages and evolve as a player

take Messi as an example he has been a top tier(all time) dribbler since 2009(and already showing signs at the highest level as far back as 2007 but he was definitely not the same passer/playmaker that he became(2014- ) the difference is people have no qualms giving him credit for something that he hasn't done for his whole career but Cristiano Ronaldo shouldn't get credit for being an elite dribbler because he wasn't banging in 50+ a season at the same time . Surely you can see the bias?

4. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    To some extent, I suppose 4 years is not a super small dribbling peak. There are plenty of players with similar dribbling peaks. The example of R9 is a bit disingenuous though, because his dribbling peak was cut short by injury. But it is true that CR7 is far from the only player to have a relatively short dribbling peak. That doesn't make it not worth noting, though. Those that sustained their peak dribbling longer should get some credit for that in rankings, IMO.

The next issue you have is: "basically you don't think he should be rated very highly as a dribbler because he was not a goat goal scorer at the same time." That's not what I meant. How I rate him as a dribbler is independent of how I rate him as a scorer. The point doesn't relate to how good of a dribbler Cristiano Ronaldo is. It relates to the next logical question: How does his dribbling ability affect his ultimate overall ranking? We know he has been a GOAT-level scorer. In my opinion, the extent to which he combined that with fantastic dribbling is highly relevant to his ranking (and ultimately, you and I both know the point of this thread is to raise peoples' overall ranking of Cristiano Ronaldo). My point was that he didn't quite combine it, except perhaps 2009-2010 (with 2007-2008 really only being a hair behind in scoring). So we aren't exactly dealing with a player who was a GOAT-level scorer and third-tier-legendary dribbler. We are dealing with a player who was a third-tier-legendary dribbler in one phase of his career and a GOAT-level scorer in another phase. That's still quite notable and highly impressive, of course. But I personally think it's conceptually different than having the two things overlap for very substantial periods of time. That was my only point. It doesn't mean he wasn't a fantastic dribbler in the 2006-2010 time period.

Your response to that is to point out that Cristiano Ronaldo did, in fact, score a good deal in the 2006-2010 time period. But that really misses the point. I didn't say he wasn't a very good scorer in that time period. I said he wasn't a GOAT-level scorer. And that is undoubtedly true. The numbers you provided do not dispute that (0.66 goals per match is very good but is not GOAT-level). He was arguably at his peak scoring level in 2009-2010 (which I've already talked about), and he was just a hair below that in 2007-2008, having a fantastic scoring season. But in 2006-2007 and 2008-2009, his scoring was good, but not great. Less than 0.5 goals a match both seasons. That's particularly notable as it pertains to 2006-2007, since I think we can both acknowledge that that was his absolute peak in dribbling.

Basically, I'm not denigrating his peak dribbling ability. I basically agreed with you on where his peak dribbling stands. I'm just saying we should keep in mind that it declined relatively quickly compared to some other dribbling greats, and that his dribbling peak and scoring peak had relatively little overlap.

carlito86 repped this.
  5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Well, this has been discussed a few times of course. Some think he's essentially 2nd best of his generation, others think he never was as good/consistent/great as e.g. Hazard, Ribery, Robben or a striker playing close to the box as Zlatan (or even in the crowded box).

As far as I'm aware the only tangible things as guideline - as opposed to hearsay and marketing hoopla -- are the historical OPTA data (number of dribbles, success rate, position of dribbles in tournaments) and the type of goals scored by a player.
    ('duels won' are not the same as dribbles won)

'We' arrived at the conclusion that e.g. Baggio had a respectable number of dribble goals against 'tough' Serie A defenses. That is not mere trivia because a) near or inside the box the dribbles are harder, especially not performed after a quick transition/recovery; b) it has a tangible purpose - a goal.

I think Cristiano Ronaldo is an anomaly but not a generational great in dribbling in the way Matthews, Pelé, Best, Cruijff, Maradona, Baggio (?), Ronaldo Luis were. What's the base behind placing Baggio and Cruijff two full tiers below Maradona? If length of form is a consideration: shouldn't this be applied to all players?

I think Cristiano was a good dribbler and more effective/purposeful than some might think (disparity in club capabilities and players are two sides of same coin), but more in the way Di Stefano, Eusebio, Rummenigge, Platini, Van Basten, Stoichkov and Rivaldo were effective and sensible dribblers. For ex. Eusebio has a few impressive dribble goals against strong opposition. Some of the guys above him had maybe a very short peak in dribbling, but I don't think Cristiano his peak stood out as much. Close to goal it was pretty effective.

6. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #6 carlito86, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    The notion that he was a dribbling threat only close to goal or near it is something I don't agree with at all .

Watch from 1:33 onwards

Platini,mvb and definitely rumminge definitely were neither as good nor as effective in dribbling as c.Ronaldo.
    Stoichkov is closer but there was a huge gap between his end product and dribbling ability(a bit like savecivic who sometimes would prefer to dribble a whole team than make an easy pass or taking a shot on goal,the difference for me is savicevic was in a total different class of dribbling to stoichkov)

di Stefano had better close control (than cr7) and was definitely better in tight spaces but again c Ronaldo has advantages that allowed him to be even more effective at dribbling
    Just think about it like this peak cr7 had wc close control(not legendary for example iniesta has slightly better close control)
    But c.Ronaldo had almost unprecedented speed with and without the ball and was as strong as an ox . If you mesh all these 3 attributes together you get something that is almost a freak of nature

Regarding the whole dribbling/solo goals thing I believe we covered this many times over.
    I did some looking not to long ago,if by dribbling goals you mean minimum 1 player dribbled than Cristiano Ronaldo has close to 50 in his career for club and country if you mean minimum 2 players dribbled than he has between 10-15 in his career
    Now outside of Messi you would struggle to find me any other player with a similar amount(Pelé definitely had more but I'm only talking about great dribblers who played in Europe eg george best,r9,Maradona, Cruyff(only including his career in Europe for Barcelona,napoli and seville)
    now for me to gather all of c Ronaldo's dribbling/solo goals in his entire career would be to time consuming plus It's not like I have access to all of his career goals but for a ruff idea of what I'm talking about watch this

0:25 onwards I've included over 20 solo/individual goals in this comp
    As you will see many of his runs either begin from the half way line,or 25-35 metres away from goal there is even 1 that begins from his own half

For me c.Ronaldo is definitely the 2nd best dribbler of his era,Robben(2012-2014) is third but despite being extremely effective on his left foot defenders know if they can push him to dribble on his right he is no where near as effective,In fourth I would have iniesta who despite his lack of pace and end product is quite remarkable in tight spaces and in fifth place it's a toss up between Ribery,neymar, hazard and one cannot dismiss peak kaka before he lost his pace .kaka had his own style of dribbling the best way I could describe it is he use to glide past players and he could also beat them with his incredible pace

7. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    That's not really what I wanted to say, and it was meant as a compliment because it's about the hardest thing to perform, and it is influential/effective. Did not want to upset you!

Fair enough. I have some great games in my mind (for Stoichkov too), and some data too.

Here I would be a bit more favorable to CR7. It's tough to compare of course but looking at directional control, turning away 180 degrees, nutmegs etc. then I don't think CR7 was like Puskas but actually well comparable to his contemporary Di Stefano at this aspect.

Anyway, you asked about dribbling and I gave my 2 cents above - how to roughly measure it and who might apply.

carlito86 repped this.
  8. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    Incredible dribbler in his prime. Took the world by storm, making some of the world's best defenders look foolish. Not that great technically, that's an area he unfortunately lacks - nowhere near close the GOATs nor players of this generation...

9. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Define technical ability and also the other players in this generation 2007- who were either better dribblers (besides messi) or technically superior to cr7?

ko242 repped this.
  10. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    I agree. if we are talking technical ability based on a dribbling perspective, than I would honestly put Cr7 as good as any player in history. However, he does not have the agility and low sense of gravity to compete with Maradona and Messi or Cruyff for example. But there is not a single dribbling move that Cr7 cannot perform.

I agree that at his peak, he is definitely in the 3rd tier, I may even put him on the lower spectrum of the 2nd tier behind Cruyff , Best, and Di Stefano (thats a big maybe). I still cant figure out whether to put R9 in the 1st or 2nd tier.

Im not gonna punish Cristiano for his speed and his intelligence to use it effectively, so i dont count him pushing the ball past players as points off because he has shown an ability to mix it up

carlito86 repped this.
  11. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    His first touch isn't consistently great and oftentimes betrays him, while his ball reception with aerial balls is a weak area of his game.

Just with Real Madrid, Isco, Modric, Benzema are superior technically. You can move to Barcelona and you have got Messi, Iniesta for example.

12. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I respect your views but dude this is blasphemy.isco and benz are technically superior to Cristiano Ronaldo..WTF?

ko242 repped this.
  13. SayWhatIWant

SayWhatIWant Member+

Jan 10, 2015
    I appreciate your courteousness my friend. Ronaldo just fumbles the ball a bit too many times and I've been observing him for years. The thing is he can pull off the most outrageous first touches, but he lacks the consistency. He struggles in particular with volleys - literally misses wildly 99% of the time :(. Just a couple areas of the game he could improve if he applied himself.

14. ko242

ko242 Member+

Jul 9, 2015
    @SayWhatIWant @carlito86
    are we arguing technical ability or dribbling ability???
    because now people are discussing 1st touch and its beginning to be off topic.

carlito86 repped this.
  15. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid

This is the original comp i posted in my opening post to this thread but unfortunately it was blocked by uefa so i had to reupload it on vimeo.I have done some editing(removed his dribbles in the cl and all goals in general).so what this comp basically comprises of is his dribbling runs(exc solo goals) from his first peak period 2006/07-2009/10( aged 21 to 26 years old)

I'll leave you to decide on how good or not you think he was but as I have already said in my opening post to this thread if there was a hall of fame for elite dribblers than there is no doubt that he would make my top 20.
    Of the top of my head my all time top 20 dribblers would be
    1.)Lionel Messi
    2.)Diego Maradona
    3.)George Best
    4.)Ronaldo fenomeno
    5.)Johan Cruyff
    6.)Dejan Savićević
    7.)garrincha
    8.)Pele
    9.)Roberto Baggio
    10.)zico

These are my top 10, meazza and Sir tom finney definitely qualify for top 10 all time dribbler status but unfortunately I have seen little to no footage at all from them so all I have to go on is word of mouth which for me on it's own is not enough.

The next ten in no particular order would be
    Prosinečki
    Micheal Laudrup
    Cristiano Ronaldo
    Rivelino
    R10
    Di Stefano
    Zinedine Zidane
    magico gonzalez
    Romario
    Hagi

As far as 11-20 in my list a case can be made that cr7 during his dribbling peak was definitely as good or imo almost certainly a superior dribbler.
    In terms of consistency in his dribbles he can almost challenge anybody in the top 10 with the exception of Messi,Maradona and best.
    The most surprising thing at least to me is Cristiano Ronaldo's close control is easily the worst from all the top 20 I've listed which doesn't mean he has terrible close control but that the other 19 in my top 20 are legendary in this category.
    Cristiano Ronaldo's advantage over the majority of dribblers I have listed is his athleticism a category where he is arguably the greatest of all time.
    Then you have to take into consideration the variety of his dribbles(he can/could beat any player/defender with his ridiculous speed,with skills(any type),close control and body feints.

The only dribbler who I have seen who had similar attributes was r9 but of course he was even more skillful in fact I would say he was the 2nd most skillful player in modern football history after Maradona,he also had superior close control(to cr7)but in terms of athleticism I would give cr7 the advantage.

Put simply I defy any poster to watch this comp in its entirety and to say Cristiano Ronaldo at his dribbling peak wasn't in the upper echelons of all time dribblers

16. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  17. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Repped for the work that went into the video, and re-editing it etc.

I can see the argument you're making in terms of athletic effectiveness on the run (with ample technical ability to make use of it). I guess best Portuguese dribbler ever could even be a good topic to be fair! My vote might go to Figo (who I feel had more deception and/or fluency on his dribbles at times, but to be fair some of the runs that C.Ronaldo could do and you show on the video would be regarded as good ones for Figo too I'm sure) but there is Eusebio (another power/long distance dribbler but with skill and who could do well over short distances too with twists and turns) of course and also this player - Paulo Futre:

(Even more than Figo he's on the technical/deceptive end of the scale in style and effectiveness; but all these have good pace which if Rui Costa or Chalana had they might be in the discussion too as as it was they incorporated some quality dribbling - mainly gliding through midfield and earning space on the wing respectively although I haven't seen loads of Chalana).

I guess Faas Wilkes is in the same category as Meazza and Finney (some impressive footage can be found but his reputation forms a large part of any claims I suppose). At least for top 20, if not top 10 (maybe not but not sure) I tend to think Brian Laudrup is a good candidate:

(Can't quite recall if this is the best one for his dribbling, even though the title suggests it, but there are various videos around for him as well as for single games like one I posted earlier today actually).

18. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I think the best Portuguese dribbler is Figo. He was as far as close control goes sort of a generational great.

SayWhatIWant and Ozora repped this.
  19. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yes, like I say that feels a fair call to me personally (easier to argue that than that he is the best overall Portuguese player or was at his peak I suppose; although conversely maybe it's easier to argue for CR7 over Eusebio as dribbler than overall player still - not sure really what the consensus would be there).

Maybe one thing Figo didn't do very much was long dribbles from near his own penalty area to the opposition box, but he was great at going outside or coming inside on either wing, and could slice his way through the middle with fluency, evasiveness and as you say precise control and balance too. Not as good as a Baggio or Zico in and around the box (with a view to scoring himself) I suppose but more capable of dribbling past players frequently down the wing or through midfield.

20. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    C.Ronaldo used to be a good dribbler when he was young
    And i agree with Puck,Figo is the best Portugal dribbler,one of the hottest winger of all time

21. carlito86

carlito86 Member+

Jan 11, 2016
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #21 carlito86, Aug 6, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2016
    Having inferior close control to Figo does not automatically equate into Cristiano Ronaldo being a inferior dribbler.
    What Ronaldo can do in a little more space than Figo is just simply better than what Figo could do in less or even more space
    take ortega for example who was imo near goat category in terms of close control but there is no doubt you would consider Figo a better dribbler because he was more effective.

You also have to take into consider the variety of his dribbles .just how many examples did you see of Cristiano Ronaldo picking up the ball at the half way line then proceeding to dribble a couple players then finish of by taking a shot on goal ,assisting a goal or earning penalties that were scored by his team mates.

Figo for me would definitely have the upper hand when it comes to close control but even when he was at his absolute peak for Barcelona just after r9 moved to inter I do not remember him taking on 2 or more defenders at a time and beating them with consistency.
    At 1 on 1 ones you would bet your house that Figo would beat most defenders but when it comes to more than 1 it becomes a bit more tricky.

I would define Cristiano Ronaldo as a unconventional dribbler and Figo as conventional.cr7's style of dribbling to some extent was unique I do not remember a player with similar attributes.(speed+power+close control+skill)
    The only similar type dribbler who I can think of is R9 but then he has technical advantages over cr7(the gap in skill/technique between them isn't as big as some may think but that is another discussion to be had)

Take for example Messi,I do not consider him to be a better dribbler than Cristiano Ronaldo because he has better close control but rather because his "conventional" style of dribbling has proven to be more effective than Cristiano Ronaldo and over a much longer period of time.
    I'm in the process of making a part 2 on his dribbling runs as 15 min of footage does not do justice to a player of c.Ronaldo's ilk.

Note:
    Just one last thing I forgot to mention the comp you showed me of Paulo futre was short(5 min) didn't include only dribbles(most of it was goals some where solo strikes and of course some dribbling but only about 3 min)
    the purpose of my comp was to show you dribbling runs where Cristiano never scored(missed the target or saved by the gk).when it comes to solo/dribbling goals cr7 is in elite company I have only seen 2 players in the history of the game who have more dribbling goals than cr7 namely Pele and Lionel Messi.

With regards to Brian Laudrup I was almost wrestling with myself whether to include him in my all time top dribblers or not but instead I went for his brother although I believe he was arguably more naturally talented than his brother but was another case of a player who didn't fully realise his potential

22. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, I see what you're getting at with long runs anyway - in Figo's case maybe it is 50/50 between his attributes and his choices in terms of why he didn't do more (not to say he did none) direct runs that ended with shots etc - maybe his attributes and choices merged well often with a mini dribble opening something up in terms of a pass or something and it was often a good choice to move the ball on to a team-mate.

The Futre vid I felt at least had some examples of dribbling but yeah ofc it's far from exclusively based on his dribbling. That's the problem with older players though - I guess when you make the C.Ronaldo ones or when someone does a Messi passing video, then it's possible to trawl through vast amounts of footage but that isn't available so much for older players (goals and assists probably are moreso in a lot of cases though). On the other hand I suppose it can also be easy to get a 'perfect' impression of an ex-player from a compilation video, so it works both ways to some extent in different ways.

carlito86 repped this.
  23. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Oh, and interesting what you say about Brian Laudrup yeah. Not sure about more talented overall compared to Michael (when we start to see vision and ingenuity etc 'talents' anyway) but while I might just about go with Michael as a better dribbler (maybe) at his most fluent (and particularly with mazy runs) maybe Brian had a little more pace (the impression might be exaggerated when they played in the same era and Michael was older though) and actually better capabilities/talent for running with the ball at pace and dribbling past and around players that way. As similar as their style/motion is in certain ways (Ruud Gullit observed that I remember, and Michael talked of Brian being like a mirror doing some of the same things as a team-mate) there are differences and even when dribbling in wide positions I think Brian was better at earning space in a Garrincha-esque way you could say (a few examples on that video) wheras Michael especially on the left a little better at slaloming and gliding down the outside before crossing.

Anyway, yeah you had him in mind anyway so cool.

carlito86 repped this.
  24. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yes, as I indicated above I think CR7 as a dribbler is comparable to the effectiveness of an Eusebio, Rummenigge, MvB, Stoichkov. It's not too difficult to show impressive solo runs for all of them, even nutmegs.

Eusebio at the 1966 World Cup is in terms of dribbling (the number and success rate) some way above Cristiano in any of his tournaments (and with 16, 24, 32 qualifying there have been more opportunities), but Cristiano has probably done enough and consistently to be regarded around that region regardless.

Figo is imho a borderline generational great, maybe a full stop generational great in dribbling. Many people would think of Ronaldo from that era, but I can definitely see the point as well that he was inconsistent against the big club teams (andsoforth). People picture Figo as a winger but forget his puncturing incisiveness from central areas.

Figo as a player shouldn't be underestimated (adding things like multiple 'Don Balon' trophies for performance and consistency, consistent delivery of assists irrespective of club and playing system, and high GoalImpact together creates a strong picture) but Cristiano Ronaldo has an argument/case to be the best European footballer ever, purely as a footballer. Not everyone e.g. Mourinho, Blatter will agree or like it but that case exists. Possibly also that he, in the way Arsene Wenger said in 2014 about Cruijff, "for me he is the born football player". Meaning: to the extent it is possible an autodidactic player and with little outside help (very simplistically put) - and indeed, for some he's the consummate professional.

As a dribbler though I think Figo was a generational great (or very close at least), and he was it for a longer period in my opinion.

The ankle injury CR7 suffered in 2008 and 2009 took a toll (from which he or his medics couldn't recover; legally at least). Simple as that.

ko242 repped this.
  25. PDG1978

PDG1978 Member+

Mar 8, 2009
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Yeah, as you know I tend to feel the best claim for best European player is held by the player Wenger was talking about (I know, as a big fan, you feel as good as he was as a player at peak and over career that it's everything he did for the game including as player that marks him out as the number 1 European figure or even world figure I guess and ofc it's not unusual for people to call him most influential person in football history and suchlike).

I guess maybe Wenger meant that he had all the natural attributes to be a great player, even if they get enhanced with experience/knowledge etc. Interestingly Cruyff once said that M.Laudrup was 'luckier' to have a less fragile body or something didn't he (I think you posted whatever I'm thinking of) so didn't necessarily see himself as being the 'perfect' born player in some respects perhaps, but then maybe whatever fragilities he had maybe helped him become more rounded in some ways, perfecting the use of outside of the boot passes etc.

Anyway, not to veer too much into best European player discussions but bring it back to dribbling - I've said before that I think it's slightly easier to split off selections of best dribblers as opposed to best passers (I think you agreed) but it's probably still hard to pigeon-hole players as top 20 or top 50 or whatever. And maybe it comes down to what counts as dribbling too (do the roulettes or ball skills to earn space of a Zidane or say an Okocha count?; how about surging forwards with the ball into space with defenders in the vicinity which as has been discussed applies to C.Ronaldo, also Eusebio, Kaka I suppose - Cruyff himself probably comes partially into that category to be fair but then also into the category of being a great dribbler in terms of jinking or gliding past players wheras C.Ronaldo at lower pace stands out less which I think Carlito says too even if he can still work his way past a player or two and score like vs Galatassary in the CL in 13/14 as one example).

Yes, I think Figo as a generational great in dribbling (borderline all-time too I guess) makes sense and as you describe it was not only down the wings where he excelled with it by any means. In some ways/scenarios better than Brazilian Ronaldo indeed I guess, but overall it's hard to look past R9's capabilities with direct but skilful dribbling right through the centre of a team even if as you say he didn't often score goals that way against the very best/biggest teams.

I suppose C.Ronaldo is at the least in the argument as second best dribbler of his generation (Robben or alternatively Kaka for example as competitors - especially as the claims are based more on his earlier years and anyway considering Hazard or potentially the new Man City player Marlos Moreno if he proves to be a great dribbler over the coming years as in the same generation might be equivalent to considering the Laudrups or Ronaldinho for example in Figo's generation even if Figo's true peak ended soon after, or in conjunction with, his dribbling peak wheras C.Ronaldo's case is a bit different).