Crew & Wiz reserves play Sunday @ 10am

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Big Strong Patrick, May 2, 2008.

1. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the game will be @ Obetz as usual & you get to see how the team that beat OSU will do vs. the pros.

2. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Where, exactly, is the Obetz facility? For me, Obetz exists in a vacuum.

3. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Southeast side of town. Just north of 270 off of Alum Creek Rd.

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Awesome. Thank you.

6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We talked to Turbina on Tuesday, they might try to come out for this. Can you imagine a reserve game with all the drums going? Crazy.

7. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final score 1-1, Lenhart scored & KC scored on a direct kick. Andy G played the whole game in goal instead of just one half as it has been done so far this season. KC missed the goal on a penalty kick caused by Iro.

8. pjguldan

pjguldan Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will have a fuller report later about the match, but it was a little funny to see Danny O'Rourke jog up to last night's center referee Mark Geiger and ask about the penalty call. Mr. Geiger took it in stride and they had about a 10 second conversation and agreed to disagree.

I did have a chance to talk to Mr. Geiger for a little longer, he made time to talk and was a reasonable and well spoken guy.

9. pjguldan

pjguldan Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a chance to do a little writeup on the reserve match.

10. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    How much speed and skill does Zayner have?

Would you have as much confidence in him as say, Ezra Hendrickson?

What happened on the Iro penalty? Is Iro quick enough, fast enough, and smart enough to play central d in MLS?

Did Josten play? Só?

Did Miller look respectable?

How did Hendrickson and Garey look?

11. pjguldan

pjguldan Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zayner looked solid. He showed some quickness and had a couple of good touches in tight space, but I think he needs some time to get back into game shape. I would still go with Ezra at this point.

Iro looked OK. I missed the penalty. I am still concerned about his positioning and soccer smarts, they are improving from earlier in the season. He looked better than earlier in the season. He is also fairly vocal.

Josten played out wide in the 2nd half when Evans moved centrally to replace Ekpo. He was active and showed decent touch, better than Lenhart. I have seen him play that wide position a couple of times now. Nothing special, yet.

Só played the final ten minutes. He really did not do much to make an impression in the limited time. I have seen him drift out wide every time i have seen him play; that is the only reason (other than fitness) I can imagine he is buried so deep on the bench. Touch was good, but really did not have a chance to go at defenders.

Miller did not standout. I liked his play at the Conner Senn, but did not watch him as closely this game, sorry.

Ezra did not play and Garey showed hustle, but not much else. The team did not play through him and he lost a lot of the 50/50 balls. I think he will struggle to keep his roster spot.

12. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Thanks. Great stuff.

I was actually just happy to hear that Zayner was healthy enough to play. With his loan to Cleveland City and Crew Reserve games, he should be game fit fairly quickly assuming he stays healthy.

Só must be pretty disappointing since Lenhart and Garey arenh't doing well. Ricardo Pierre-Louis may have a real opportunity. Now that I take another look at that name, Peguero Jean Philippe doesn't sound odd at all! (Both are Haitian.)

13. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would think Ricardo Pierre-Louis should be showing up soon if he intends to play. Lee University had its finals end on 4/29 and graduation ceremony 5/3. I wonder what the status is on him.

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I know at the Connor Senn match he had his hand wrapped, ala Twellman, so perhaps he's been out with an injury and just recently returned? Who knows.

15. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    So` was wearing a hand wrap in the reserve match. Josten played but didn't have much impact. Nico played wide left and looked ok. KC seemed to have a better backbone with Zavagnin, Victorine, and Sealy. There was a funny moment after Pore followed through too much and almost kicked Zayner in the nuts. Jed clamped his thighs together and Pore was hopping around on one leg as both appealed for a foul. The ref waved it off as play continued.