Crew vs. Houston Smurfs :: Pre-Game

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Superdrew69

Superdrew69 Member

May 9, 2004
    The Ohio State Univ.
    Most Valuable Prisoner?

2. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Most Violated Prisoner.

3. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    on wenesday martino just blew past the fc dallas defense..
    yes they were missing the wonderful greg vanney.. lol. but still.
    if martino got a chance in the middle he would of had a angle for his shots.. basically he got in the box and could do nothing else with it.
    maybe that has to do with what you said.. decision making..
    because a couple of times on wenesday i wished he would of been a little more selfish..

got my tickets for august 20th.. four tickets.. section 27 row 10. me and three of my buddies are going.. how many people you think are going to be at this game?

4. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go ask the Fire fans.. They're experts when it comes to predicting the attendance in CCS.

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    You know, if some of you would just let it go -- it might end. Go figure.

6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. But I don't like Wingert at defense. I don't think he's got the speed to be playing besides an aged and slow Robin Fraser.

The only reason for Hejduk to be in the lineup is as our "speedy" defender.

No more of him on the wing. We just have better options in other players.

7. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    That's an easy guess - um, zero?

8. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    I think you have to put Szetela in from the start. His passing and vision are needed at that place. Where on the field, I don't know.

I didn't want to be the bad guy, so I didn't bring it up, but you all have to admit Fraser hasn't been nearly as good this year as last. Maybe he was so rejuvinated last year that he played like he was still 33, but that's not the case this year. It's true that we may not have a better option right now, but his position is something we need to look at improving when the transfer window opens. I love the guy, he was terrific last year, but I'm not convinced he's still a 90 minute player.

9. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    yeah.. i was just looking at someone to replace fraser.. when looking at the crew roster their isnt much. I threw schulte out their.. But I know he isnt the best option either.

as a whole we could use some defensive help. we could trade one of our offensive players for a good defender.. lets say buddle.

10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pardon me.. I should have quoted more of Ryan's post which said:

11. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stick to flatbacking with aging Canadians, toots.

Wingert is a player.

12. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what "fun" would that be? :rolleyes:

13. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Not only that, but what do we do next year - after Fraser retires? We need someone to play that leadership role as a sweeper/center-half, and it's not going to be Marshall.

Yeah, I think I'd prefer to use Wingert as a defensive midfielder, but he's got good leadership skills and he's a pretty decent defender, occasional own-goal notwithstanding. We need to be prepared for Fraser's departure, and that means getting Wingert minutes out there at center back while Fraser is still around to mentor him.

14. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Why do you and Grouchy suddenly have the urge to go back to GA-coaching? Wingert has played in the middle since Bobby took over? The defense has been playing well. Keep the same three in the back with Walker behind them.

The field is too narrow to play a 3-4-3 so play a 3-5-2. Leave KMart with Knox on top. Leave Elliott and Vasquez in the middle and add Szetela there. Put Hendo on one side and Loco on the other side. Keep Hejduk on the bench until he adjusts to the system.

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Ding! You sir are a genious. DGA for head coach.

16. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    im glad that in all likelyhood i will be unable to view the game.

i ********ing hate watching games from spartan stadium. i cant wait till they move that franchise.

should be interesting to see what kinda lineup bob decides to go with out there. the field certainly does present some challenges.

17. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Consistent goals and policy sure takes some of the intrateam rumors and backbiting out of the locker room, too.

We play to win - if I think you'll contribute to the win..you'll play -- BOB

18. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    You and Chels have some age bias against Elliott? Danny Z got Turned inside out and backward by Dullass - he ain't ready for middle of the field prime time, yet. When Elliott went out we lost most of our midfield shape and Vasquez started to struggle.

Frankie and Robin in the back will anticipate lots of SJ's runs and passes. I prefer Fraser in the middle for his experience.

19. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Bingo! add Storey as a sub....

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Wolyniec will contribute to this team before all is said and done. Henderson is about due for a breakout game too and has done well against the Houston side.

Loco is listed as "out" with a hamstring pull. Makes Would seem to make Storey almost a certainty at some point.

The previous regime tossed Danzilla out there before he was ready, and it's caused some problems. Between Sigi and Robert I think he's likely back on the right track but barring an emergency I'd use him as a late sub on the flanks or tucked safely in front of Simon the rest of the way. He needs experience, he needs humility and he needs a full pre-season under a professional coach.

Buddle was put out there all season at what was obviously a physical disadvantage, and both he and the team paid a heavy price. The reasons for this aren't important any more (and don't call me Shirley) but as Raoul says a consistent policy on injuries would go a long ways towards dissipating some of the mysteries and dissention. I wish to G*d we still had Cunny.

I disagree with TG on Szetela, but agree completely on Fraser. I'd rather take the heaviest responsibility off him now, and let him contribute as a marking back, rather than wait until he starts getting undressed out there. He doesn't deserve that.

I'm looking for an astonishing road win tonight: 3-1 Crew. Cornell Glen, Henderson and Martino with the tallies.

I'll be right here for the in-game. See you all then.

21. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think Fraser's main problem has been consistency this year. He's looked as good as last year a few times, but he has small streches where he does look older and less than convincing.

That said, especially in a 3 man back line, I'd tike him out there over Schulte 10 times outta 10 if thats the other option.

22. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    schulte must really suck..
    my bad for mentioning him.

23. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

he's not that terrible, he's just not an adequete replacement for Fraser, imo.

24. krs-two

krs-two Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Columbus
    Per this morning's Dispatch, here is the probable line-up

Walker

Wingert - Fraser - Marshall

Vasquez - Elliot - Hejduk - Henderson

Martino - Glen - Cameron

25. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member