Crew vs. Dallas :: Post-game [R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Nonesuch, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The answer is probably yes and yes.

Either he's Chelsey's sockpuppet, as zak has posited, or he's simply an idiot.

No one is sure, but either way, please don't take offense. We like the Hounds just fine around here, and you're welcome to stop by any time.

PS: The "ignore" function can be very useful.

2. Hector & Jane

Hector & Jane New Member

May 30, 2005
    I'm gonna rant, cuz its been building. Warzycha's "masterplan"?

I wasn't able to watch this game, but someone in the In-Game thread posted that the only attacking idea the Crew ever had was to kick the ball a far ways, and in past games under Warzycha that has always seemed like a better description of their play than the total football thing you seem to be suggesting. Was all that "buzzing" directed to any purpose other than chasing long balls down the flank?

Seven interchangeable parts suggests a desire to link passes and runs together in quick triangles. The Crew's offensive strategy, on the other hand, is to turn your back on the ball and run into open space as far away as possible and look for the ball there. Was true under Andrulis, is true under Warzycha. Was anything different v. Dallas?

I just haven't seen anything from the Crew to suggest that Warzycha wasn't the mastermind behind Nee's "plans" all along. Nothing has changed except that there does seem to be a greater sense of competing for positions. Even the solution he is using to turn things around this year - move KMart up front - is the same one tried last year. I'd rather see an attempt to find midfielders who can play with Kyle, not vacating the midfield of skill altogether.

I'll also be the first heretic to fall outside of the Church of Chad Marshall. I don't know if I have ever seen a "great" defender with less ability for starting an attack from the back. All he ever does is hoof the ball up field, and he isn't especially good at that. Starting an attack from the back is an important responsibility in a defender, not a bonus.

A few weeks ago, Dwight and Bill said on MLSnet that Warzycha wanted Vazquez to "be the man" and for the backs to play to him, and for him to start the attack. The defense spent the whole game (was it v. KCW?) booting the ball over the kid's head and he hasn't been seen since. So much for the plans of Robert Warzycha.

Overall, I don't like the suggestiong that Warzycha has a "masterplan." It suggests he has a future in Columbus, and IMO, the time is now for posters on this board to be letting the Crew management know that that is not acceptable. I've been watching the Crew for three years, and I'm not sure I have ever seen them play an actual game of soccer. Like Harkes said on ESPN2 a few weeks back (Nee was still in charge), the game of soccer is all about triangles, and the Crew don't understand.

3. Late Registration

Late Registration New Member

Aug 21, 2005
    At times. Other times, they reverted to the old habit, kick it long.

Maybe it's just me, but I've definately noticed less emphasis on "you play here, you play here, you stay in this spot," etc. Guys are getting forward, then someone else will cover for them, they might drift to the middle or to the other side, and usually one of the other guys will fill in "his spot."

You're definately right about that. This season it seems Marshall was told to just boot it out every time he's near the ball. Last season he was playing simple, playing smart, but this year his distribution has been much worse.

All I meant by Warzycha's masterplan is his idea of how a team should play soccer.

4. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I can see your point HJ and definatly don't think Warzycha is the guy to take us anywhere, however, I think things have improved substantially since the other guy left.

Players are much more willing to work for each other and the off the ball movement is better as well. I think players are interchanging positions alot and moving for each other. I think the proof of that is the better team defense we've since he's taken over. Of course all that interchanging doesn't do much good if they aren't willing to take their opportunites to shoot when they are moved farther forward. There is still a lot of long ball, but it has decreased and there is much more building then before.

As for Martino, I think that ship has sailed. If your still looking for him to perform in the middle, then you'll be waiting a long time. How many years do you go looking for the "right" players to surround Martino, until you slap your head and go, "It's Martino, stupid" Put him out wide right and see how he does, that a-mid job should be Vasquez's.

Your comment on Vasquez is spot on. That's something I just don't understand. How is this kid not in the lineup? And when he's out there every attack should go through him. He has the vision, skill, and streangth to run the attack.

5. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I agree on Vasquez. We need 3 guys who can shoot from the outside - DannyZ, Elliott, and Vasquez. Danny Z has to learn some play simple though, to stop the dangerous turnovers and realize the 40yard thorugh ball is a risky pass.

This team plays with an entirely different attitude than nee's teams. We attack and defend equally and ,as mentioned, are working on being more fluid. Numerous interviews have discussed the emphasis on passing and movement.

A glaring weakness of MLS in general is the poor passing vs. dribbling. Both teams had 5-15 minute periods where the passing was just pitiful, yesterday. Part of that porblem was team mates standing around in covered positions and some were pure mishits. Either way, you never saw Bob do that as a player and I'm sure he won't accept that as a coach.

Frankie is a favorite player of mine for his hustle and he says all the right things, but Nat players who no show and are late for practice need their heads turned around to face forward. He doesn't exactly fit an attacking 3 back system and I'd trade him in a heartbeat for 2-3 current MLS mids. His offensive capabilities are only moderate and if his leadership is nonexistent let's move him to LA for a younger offensive talent or play Danny Z at that position. Danny adds more offense and better crosses there anyhow, and he has too many horrendous giveaways in the defensive zone right now.

Can anybody explain Storey vs. Sutton forward to me? I understand the need for more speed, but Sutton is a real forward and can SCORE. I watched on TV, but Storey looked lost when he didn't actually have the ball.

6. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    oh.. i thought you were being serious about throwing hot dogs at fans..
    next time maybe a *lol* would be useful so you dont waste my time.. btw, throwing around insults doesn't make yourself look any better than me. It makes you look like a.) a idiot and b.) a tool as well. Please feel free to come to a Crew game anytime and my apoligies.

But, i would like to reinerate what you seem to be missing. ESPN2 sound is not very good. No the atmosphere wasn't like a european soccer game yesterday. I wasn't expecting it when I drove to the stadium and you should not be either. This is MLS. But, the atmosphere is alot better than the espn2 sound is leading you to believe.

-------
    My goal in life is to be as cool as Bill some day.
    lay off man.. your incessant coddling and "im cooler than you" posts makes you look like about the same, a.) a idiot and b.) a tool. It gets annoying man. I thought El Steve was being serious. That post has nothing to do with you.. so please feel free to take some of your own advice, and ignore it.
    -------

anyways someone else I would like to add to the keep list for next year is Henderson. Without his heads up play and sick nutmeg. We wouldn't of won this game. some people haven't been totally behind him. But, in this game and the San Jose game he's the only one being creative on the field while everyone else back passes it and takes the ball to the sideline. and vazquez shouldn't be on the bench.. I dont know what Warzycha is thinking with this move.

and i agree with kindergarden.. szetela should be letting that nice kick loose more often.

i would also like to thank you kindergarden for the ticket.. you and your husband seem like nice people.

7. Hector & Jane

Hector & Jane New Member

May 30, 2005
    I don't agree. No matter how many years you "look" for someone to play midfield, it only counts when you actually find someone. The Crew have always had Elliott at holding mid, and letting a teenager have a go was a revolution. Vasquez at holding and Martino in attack is the obvious solution. Outside of Elliott, the Crew, have filled their midfield with defenders and wingers who run on their own. If every midfielder on the pitch turns his back on Martino to play defense or race down a wing, it's the end of Martino and has been.

Every time I see Martino in the middle, I see a lost boy. When I see him on the wing, I see an attacking center mid begging for a team to play on. I think the second look is closer to the truth.

It would be easier for me, personally, if the Crew would trade Kyle. Then I could watch the Crew without cringing all the time at wasted talent.

8. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Have you seen Vasquez play defense? He most definatly isn't a holding mid. Szetela or Gallardo is the holding mid in that group.

I just don't think Martino has the necassary streangth to play in the middle. He gets in there, gets knocked around a few times and goes missing the rest of the game. It's the reason he HAD to be moved forward or to the wing. Martino said it himself. Vasquez can weather those hits and still turn up field.

Additionally Martino just hasn't shown the vision to get the ball in the right spot in the middle. And while the forward play has sucked this year, he's played with McBride, Cunningham, Buddle, and Razov and he still can't get these hitters the ball. That's a huge problem. Vasquez can and has shown it seveal times. For instance, have you ever seen Martino put a ball in like the pass Vasquez made to Glen in the Metro game? I sure can't.

Martino just isn't an attacking mid. It's time to face the facts. It's a tough postion and you've got to have all the stuff to succeed there, not just bits and pieces.

It's not a coincidence that both times he was moved forward and sort of wide, he's played better. It's players like Paule, Elliott, and Vasquez that have been able to get him the ball in situations that favor Martino where he can use his skills to the best of his ability. For Kyle that's wide, 1v1 on a defender, not in the middle.

9. Hector & Jane

Hector & Jane New Member

May 30, 2005
    The matchnight review says that Warzycha's plan was to keep the ball on the ground, the team wouldn't comply, so he sent in Glen. Good move by the coach, and I'll modify my opinions accordingly.

The problem may not be the coach.

And Myshap, I'm not against playing playing Martino wide, a la a McMannaman or Ozzie Ardiles (or however you spelled his name) when their teams had strength in center midfield. 1 v 1 skills belong out there. But its still a midfield role, they didn't play pushed way up waiting for a long ball, and going 1 v 1 was a part of their game, not a description of what was expected. So if you want to play Szetella at hold, Vasquez up top and KMart wide, I don't mind, as long as they form an actual midfield. Right now, I just don't understand what the Crew are doing.

Although, to say that Paule, Elliott and Vasquez have demonstrated more vision that Martino doesn't seem right to me. I always felt that Martino was trying to dictate what happened on the field while everyone else just stood around and wondered. Definately a lack of vision, but I;m not sure it was Martino's.

But I'm a KMart apologist and will be until something other the Andrulis regime has had a chance with him. Lots of players have blossomed quickly in the right circumstances. Frank Lampard is suddenly the best English midfielder, for example.

10. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    nice post Jane. That is a excellent sign if Warzycha wants to keep the ball on the ground. It's a sign of a good team whereas a team that continues to play the long ball is a a sign of a unorganized and untalented team.. I made a comment a couple of weeks ago, I believe after the San Jose game, that Warzycha and the teams long ball tatics reminded me of the polish national style of play.. when faced with a superior opponent boot it long.. ex. world cup 2002.

I take that back in Warzycha's case.. at least Warzycha is trying to keep them from resorting to old Andrulis esque tatics. Warzycha has been put into a difficult stituation without a true striker and is trying to make the best out of the stituation. And, he has done fairly well. The defense on this team is fairly good, the goalkeeper is good, and the midfield is filled with talent that basically needs sorted out.. You just cant win games without a goal scorer and we have a bunch of sorry excuses for goal scorers on this team. Yesterday it seemed like I caught myself saying, "Well, the buildup is good, were looking strong in the back. But, FC Dallas is going to win because we cannot look dangerous, we cannot score."

I believe this team is one good striker away from being a very capable team next year

11. Hector & Jane

Hector & Jane New Member

May 30, 2005
    Well, I believe they are several years and half a roster away, but there ya go.

12. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    lol.. yeah true.. but most of our problems are in the offensive half. yes we need to make more changes then one. But, the one thing we are in desperate need of is a solid capable striker..

did anyone else see Colin Clarke's comment:
    "Two teams desperate for a win for different reasons. We were very disappointed. We thought we deserved something out of the game. Did not happen again. We gave up a sh***y goal." lol.. glad to make the big guy upset.

should Fraser stay in middle defense? I thought he looked good in his old position.

13. futballpunk

futballpunk New Member

Aug 22, 2003
    Temperance, MI
    I agree with those who say Martino doesn't belong at central a-mid, and I think any holding on to the hopes that he is going to be 'the next Reyna' or 'the first American true number ten' should give up on that idea. Vasquez looks like he could fill that role, but Martino has yet to impress there. Instead, I think he's going to have more of a future playing a Cristiano Ronaldo-type role on the wing, especially if the Crew can pick up some real forwards for him to pass to. And don't forget, he spent much of his Rookie of the Year season playing wide mid.

14. myshap

myshap Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No he didn't. This keeps getting put out there, but it just isn't true. West played on the right in 2002, then when he got injuried Buddle did.

Martino replaced Perez in the lineup who played centrally. Martino played very sparingly wide as a rookie. Only a few games here and there.

Sure one of my complaints these last few years was off the ball movement. However I just don't know with Martino if you look at the forwards he's played with. They can't always be at fault, unless you want to say McBride does nothing but stand around. Those are some pretty successful guys that he just couldn't get the ball to. And I say again have you ever seen a pass from Martino like the one Vasquez sent to Glen against the Metros? I sure haven't. Perhaps Paule and Elliott aren't that much better, but Vasquez is light years ahead of Martino in both vison and ability to put the right ball in the right spot.

I can agree there. Martino definatly isn't a forward. Another idea is a box 4. However as much as I like to talk formation, it's completely useless until the Crew get some decent forwards again for the midfield to do anything with. You can have all the great build up you want in the midfield, but if you don't have a decent professional striker to put the ball in the net, you've got nothing. Just ask the Metros.

15. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    Vasquez informed a friend of mine after the game that he has a slight groin pull which impedes him to be on the field more than some minutes. He doesn't want to get on the injured reserve list as he still wants to contribute as much as possible.

I also was scratching my head until I heard about this.

16. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh, I overreacted a bit... your post was pretty snippy, so, I got snippy as well.

Regardless, it's a message board... I don't think it should be too hard to be friendly. I mean, I think we can all unite in our dislike of Chivas USA...

...if you do like them, however, then we may have a problem.

17. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    lol.. no i do not like them.. sorry I got rowdy steve. I thought you were being serious and I was at the riverhounds vs crew game.. and it was dreadful, it's not the riverhounds fans fault of course.. they deserve better.

18. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Re: Crew vs. Dallas, post-game

already got one coming my way, thanks man!

19. crewcrazy17

crewcrazy17 Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Medina
    It was good to see them get a win, but the play was pretty lackluster and unimaginative. I think Hejduk may be done in CBus if Warzycha gets the full time gig. Storey did not add much to the game, but with a guy with lead feet like Woly, some speed was needed.

20. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    from the ingame thread....

Is this the consensus, or was this just Wynalda being Wynalda?

21. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Waldo being Waldo. Szetela isn't really an A-mid but he had one of his better games.

22. ryankozlowski

ryankozlowski Red Card

Apr 30, 2005
    Conneaut Lake, PA
    I thought Szetela looked good.. The couple bad passes that he had were not totally his fault. He just had to get rid of the ball and passed it where someone should of been making the run. The problem was that the forwards never make the correct run. Or just stand their and refuse to make anything resembiling a run.

maybe Wynalda could get his head out of his ass and figure this out. You could make a argument that nothing is their so dont force it when talking about Szetela passing it up. But, the only way the crew can score goals is by at least attempting to get the ball forward..

not knox cameron style.. where u always retreat back to midfield because you have no skill.

hell you could say dont force it when Szetela ripped that one ball from way out to.. But, nobody is going to disagree with that sweet strike. At least he is challenging the goalkeeper and attempting to look dangerous..

23. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin

If you remember 3 or so games back, he made a great through ball to Glenn (?) and it looks like he keeps trying the same pass - even when it's not there. He attempts the 20+ yard pass through traffic with the optimism of...an 18yr old.

I think he had the second give away in the defensive end that resulted in the 2nd Metro goal. He's being aggressive with the ball, but seems to be forcing the play much of the time. I think that's what Waldo was referring to in that comment.

Typical 18yr old without much game time stuff, IMO. His positioning and anticipation appear better and if he can get some of the longer shots on goal, vs. giveaways, he'll be earning his keep soon. Elliott, Szetella, Vasquez would be a great central midfield if Bob can keep bringing the last two along game by game. As you know, hard to win the game if you can't win the center of the field.