Post-match: Crew v LAFC - 2023 MLS Cup - 12/9/23 4:00 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Dec 4, 2023.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 12/9/23 match vs LAFC?

Poll closed Dec 9, 2023.
  1. Win by two or more goals in regulation

37.1%
  2. Win by one goal in regulation

45.2%
  3. Win in extra time

8.1%
  4. Win by PKs

1.6%
  5. Lose by PKs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lose in extra time

1.6%
  7. Lose by one goal in regulation

1.6%
  8. Lose by two or more goals in regulation

3.2%
  9. See results

1.6%
  1. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If one were to guess which color said wristbands might be, what would be the most logical guess? Not that anyone would secure a few similar looking ones beforehand or anything? I mean who would do that and try to sneak themselves and a few close amigos into Nordecke? Surely no one that posts on this board? Surely they'd respect the League and team's efforts to only allow ticketed folks into that section, right?

2. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok ok, bbb.

Next season. Allegedly.

TrueCrew, hudson hooligan and catfish9 repped this.
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #203 Kryptonite, Dec 7, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2023
    UNLESS they're smart enough to do some sort of variable where they print the date/team on it.

As said above, they could also change by the game. Blue one game, yellow for game two. Red for game three, then black, white, green, purple, repeat.

4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was the "wooshmobiles" wasn't it (the turbines)? Another example of the Andretti curse....

Bill Archer repped this.
  5. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I absolutely love this 10-minute interview that Christian Ramirez gave yesterday from his car in the lot of his dealership. He is both thoughtful and likeable. And, he opens the window into some things about this team that I didn't know. For example, he, Rossi, Cucho, and Medranda drink mate before the match. Nancy asks the guys to get together early before the match so they can have a pre-match. And--he thinks of Cucho as a younger brother.

Love our players, love our coach, love our team. 48 hours away: I can't wait!

6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Different strokes? ADHD allows me to not be able to focus on things I want to focus on...

7. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is in and of the fact that we are not bigger than some of the cities that we look like we are bigger than based upon our city proper population. It says we are bigger than San Francisco. Places like that. I'm familiar with MSA.

8. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Nordecke is going to be overflowing on Saturday. Which is good in the sum of things because: 1) some people bought tickets there that never si.. stand there, and 2) regulars in the Nordecke were shut out of having a legitimate ticket in the Nordecke.

In the matter of a few days, we went from 23sponsor bots folks to oh my the Nordecke is going to be rocking.

Pauncho, TRUJDUB21, TrueCrew and 2 others repped this.
  9. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but are there standing room only tickets outside of the Nordecke? I'm assuming there are, right?

10. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Yes there are. Nordecke isn’t technically standing room only.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a tailgate?

North lot?

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://nordecke.com/2023/12/07/mls-cup-final-weekend

One thing not listed there is a rally at the giant trophy, which I believe is on High Street by the Convention Center.

As of last I heard, the league has obtained control of the north lot. It won't be an option for Saturday.

TrueCrew repped this.
  13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what the heck is the little bird on all of the MLS Cup merch (I am watching Fox 28 right now)?? Don Garbles way of giving us the bird??

Bill Archer repped this.
  14. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the brandmark of the collab that MLS did for this Cup. https://www.staplepigeon.com/

Not everything is a personal attack, just most things.

Ch(Elsey) and Crew Chuck35 repped this.
  15. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I'll be there, looking forward to saying hi to you guys in person for the first time even though some of you have found me on FB and have stayed in touch (shoutout @Ch(Elsey) and @DrunkandDisorderly

16. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also can be both. They're very sly down at MLS HQ.

17. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018

Same Julian, same.

18. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are being way too kind.

The real story is that we were FB friends years ago. I defriended you at some point. You came across a memory were I had posted on your FB status. You asked me if that was me. Of course it was. Not many other people with the name Chelsey Elsey. I was so embarrassed. I am embarrassed typing this short story.

Now we are FB friends again, and hopefully you do not hold the defriending against me. Though I would not blame you if you did.

I am truly looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. Thanks for everything you did for this board throughout the STC saga, Inside Man.

TRUJDUB21 and TKyle repped this.
  19. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I always forget that we were somehow FB friends prior to this board. Still don't know how. Also, I forgot that you defriended me. Still hurts. See you tomorrow for hopefully a massive W.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  20. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    #220 Jaybir, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    My thoughts on why THE CREW win this walking away -

Our brand new team is better than people realize, although some are beginning to see it. I agree with those who said that our best soccer is still a year away. We have progressed at an unimaginable pace, especially considering our early season injuries, radically new system, new players, and mid-season changes. We've been trying to adapt to a new system with a musical chairs lineup. Somehow, Wilfried Nancy has this group clicking already. We just won the best conference I've ever seen in the MLS, and it took two road games to do it.

We have a coach who is beyond special. You can see how he develops young players like Morris and Matan by leveraging their strengths and encouraging their weaknesses. Morris is gaining composure in the final third and Matan has gained confidence and purpose. Nancy's system produces a brand of soccer that is not only thrilling to watch from the seats, but it is horrifying to a defensive line. So quick, so much movement, not relying on the cross for chances. Nancy is also undoubtedly the foundation that this incredible team chemistry is built upon, which is my next point.

In my opinion, team chemistry is far more important than many understand. It's not talked about much because you can't measure it. You can only perceive it. The best teams I played on were not the most talented. The best teams I played on loved each other. This is true in other team sports as well. From my vantage point, this team has excellent, family chemistry. We have players with real leadership character who understand teamwork. For example, the way Cucho corrects other young players, generally ending in a smile and an embrace. Or, Ramirez helping Cucho with emotion. This is a real team.

Not only is this family of brothers hitting their stride at the right time, we are in super human condition. We've played for more than a month with our backs up against the wall and two extra time matches to boot. Our conditioning at the end of Hell is Real was UNREAL. There is no way to make yourself train to that level. We are beyond fit and we are healthy. We will need it in this match to snuff the counters, before they start.

Vela and Bouanga are scary as hell. Given the little bit that either of them need to be deadly, and with our tendency to give space and chances in the final third, well, I get a knot in my stomach when I think about it. I can only imagine how I'll feel at the game during every one of their set pieces. Ugh.

But here is my thinking. I'm gonna guess we start Mo. He had a rough outing at Cinncy, but prior to that, he has been a swarming mad man on the right. Somehow, he even recovers from most of his mistakes and disrupts or gets back as far as he needs to. Incredible strength, conditioning and good speed. Opposing offenses have a hard time developing with a real pest like him. And Yaw has similarly been coming on strong as a defensive disrupter. Add Matan's endless energy scooting around and we haven't even mentioned Nagbe and Morris, two of the best bruising ball hawks in the league. And somehow Ramirez needs to be in the game, maybe for Yaw... I trust Nancy. But I think this group owns the midfield. I think we have the ability to limit the number of counters and even the best teams don't convert them all. It doesn't appear that Nancy changes his approach much from game to game, but I gotta believe we are going to looking to shut down their two big guns.

We have some other advantages as well. Although we are sharing the stadium and don't control the hype shows, I'm confident our fans are going to throw down hard! The atmospheres have been awesome. Our black house has got to be an imposing place to play in. And also, the time zone change does have an effect. Plus, "hard to repeat" is a thing. Now having said all of that, it is soccer, and sometimes crazy things happen, ala 2015. But I really think we're going to out play and out score these guys.

Is there an aaa pregame gathering?

Edit: I was remiss for mentioning that if any of my above theory doesn't pan out, Patrick will take care of things. :)

21. Jaybir

Jaybir Member+

Feb 24, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'll look for the arm!

22. Ball Kicker

Ball Kicker Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 11, 2022

I agree with this, 100%. Bouanga and Vela (even though vela has been nothing special this year, you still have to remember where he is at) are both very scary and then you have there defense which has been good with Aaron long on the bench as well. the Crew are definitely better in the midfield and I feel like teams that aren’t good in the midfield struggle against Columbus.

Crepeau is also very very good, if not excellent when he is at the top of his game.

Columbus is going to need to be relentless with the counter press, but can’t stretch themselves out of position trying to win the ball back because that is literally LAFC’s bread and butter.

I have been a nervous wreck this entire week and I will need to remind myself to enjoy the moment.

TRUJDUB21 and zman31 repped this.
  23. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    [​IMG]

Looks like no Crew-specific pre-game things in stadium.

24. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to BELIEVE all game long regardless of the current score line. This team has shown throughout the entire season such huge perseverance.

Massive goals. Game-tying. Game-winning. Huge moments.

BELIEVE. Let the team know you believe through your voices. They believe.

This team is special.

eboe, Tobias C, Jaybir and 3 others repped this.
  25. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Probably my favorite part of the Cincy game was how loud our fans were even down 0-2. I honestly think everybody (their fans and ours) knew we were going to come back and win. If we go down, we gotta keep that vibe. This team isn't out of a game, ever.

Ch(Elsey) and TRUJDUB21 repped this.