Crew Union?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Robb W, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've been seeing this link for a while now, so I'm wondering if anyone has actually dropped the cash on the Crew Union membership and what they thought about it.

http://columbus.crew.mlsnet.com/MLS/coc/load.jsp?section=fans&content=union

Just the fact that there's a "family membership" option should probably be enough to scare me away, but since these boards have been totally dead today I figured I would try to make a Crew-related post to start a little movement.

Seriously, is everyone on vacation on something?

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  3. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Well, I'd say that just about answers my question!

I'm not sure I missed that one the first time around.

4. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    I was actually going to start a thread about this, because I was a bit curious as to what ended up happening. I'll give them a mulligan obviously as the weather was very poor.

The song remains the same, I really do believe that this could be a worthwhile organization. Last season, sadly, didn't work out the way that it could've, but that's not to say with a bit of planning and methodology it couldn't work.

Even though the weather was horrible was there a noticable Crew Union presence at the game out in the parking lot or the stadium? Did they hand anything out? Any advertising?

5. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Not that I saw, though given the weather I wasn't surprised.

6. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, I didn't see or hear anything about it either, but I don't think there were many people tailgating. The only things I saw being handed out were programs, Crew schedule magnets, and "The Game of their Lives" posters.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's just so much about zak's post that's disturbing. One of them is certainly Lapper's role in the organization. He was doing Corporate, then he was doing Community Relations, then he was doing "Development" and I don't know what all else.

Hell, one day I got a message from him on my answering machine - not a recording, obviously - about buying some single game tickets. It appears the Crew staff last year consisted of Mike Lapper doing all the work and 89 people polishing their resumes and waiting for the adidas rep to show up with some free stuff.

They have what appears to be a bloated stff over there which includes a Corporate Director of Diddlysquat, but it used to take six weeks to get a return phone call. The term zak uses - "lethargic" - says it all.

I'm not being nasty here, but facts are facts, and the fact is simply this: when the head of the organization lives a million miles away (like, say, in St Thomas for example), it's not unusual for the group to lose focus and urgency. There's something intensely focusing about the constant possibility that a guy with full authority to fire you whenever he bloody well feels like it is liable to walk past your desk any time at all.

Maybe McCullers can turn this around, but it will take a whole lot of pushing and shovong and pressure and firings. zak is dead right: the problem with the Crew FO has not usually been lack of good intentions, but execution has been absolutely lapped by complacency more often than not.

I wish him luck. For ten years now they've been sitting around telling themselves what a great situation and a great opportunity Columbus Crew has. Time to make the performance match the rhetoric.

On a side note, so I take it the old dame DeBolt gave the SHield to is the "Crew Union" stooge?

8. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't wait till you are... ;)

9. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    When Crew Union was first announced, and in one of its first articles said the organization hoped to put together road trips for its members - specifically excluding non-members - I decided I really had no use for that organization. Why would a team-affiliated group not want to encourage as many people as possible to go on these [non-existent] road trips? Does Crew Union member money spend better than non-members' cash?

10. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, but they want your 20 buck due. I'll never join that waste of my money again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... How'd George W say it? Haha.. That was probably the funniest thing I ever heard a politician say. Ever.

11. ripman88

ripman88 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Co lum bus
    They were supposed to have a table out by the gates I think. Maybe the wind blew them away.