Crew Stage News

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So do I care that Rock on the Range will feature Stone Temple Pilots?

What is Rock on the Range? Do I care about that either? i DEPEND ON YOU GUYS TO KEEP ME INFORMED.

Anyway, here's an interesting piece from the tour website:

http://www.rockontherange.com/update.html

*State of the art LED video screens added for the main stage.
    *Capacity at Columbus Crew Stadium for Rock On The Range '08 will increase both on the field and overall
    *Easier and quicker access to enter the festival grounds.

And didn't Slash use to be Traci Lord's boyfriend?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=90518

2. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Tell Scott, I like Depeche Mode.

3. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
  4. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Rock on the Range is now going to be 2 days this year meaning the field should be in great condition by the middle of the season.

5. CLG431

CLG431 Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "festival grounds"

That is all you need to hear to know the field will look like a rodeo was held there after this one. Maybe the Crew should use the Westerville rec fields off of Cleveland Ave to practice on before the next game after this festival. It should prepare them for the lack of grass and numerous potholes.

6. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont think they will be available...they are usually occupied by the greater columbus taxi drivers assn.

7. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    Where are the smart people at to tell us that we could run the Kentucky Derby on this field and it wouldn't matter?

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Member+

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Umm, I ain't no taxi driver...

Although I could probably make more money being one.

9. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Columbus Crew = My Personal Jesus, but right now we're playing Master and Servent.

10. producepimp

producepimp Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbus

Did you notice any problems with the field after Rock on the Range last year? I never heard any complaints. You know why I didn’t hear any complaints and there were no effects from Rock on the Range last year? Because they used a different covering last year that didn’t damage the field. The year before that when the field got screwed up, wasn’t the Crew’s fault. The people they rented the cover from told them you could drive a fork lift on it but they were wrong. And you know what happened, that company paid for the new turf to be laid, not sure if it was partial or full but McCullers talked about that last year. So I don’t see why the field would get hurt this year.

And by the way Zak, smart people know the Kentucky Derby is ran on dirt, not turf. So if smart people are telling you that then you might want to call them something else. Churchill downs does have a fine turf track. The Turf Classic Stakes is ran at Churchill as a Graded 1 race and has a purse of $500,000. So the smart person would say that our field could be used to run the Turf Classic Stakes or many other fine turf races. And as an added bonus, at Churchill Downs they have both kinds of music, country and western.

11. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.wbzx.com/rotr.asp

altogether there will be 28 bands over 2 days.....some pretty big bands coming too, I'd really like to see disturbed....

12. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    No ELO means no ZAK.

13. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    I think I've asked this before, but what "range" are they talking about?

Shows I'm up for this year...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's funny someone mentions ELO. I thought it would be a nice sound effect from the song "Livin' Thing" that could be played. It would apply when an opposing player goes down and it looks suspect, especially if the Crew receive a card for it. In the song, there is a voice in the back which says "I'm takin' a dive". I was just thinking it would be a cool poke at the player, if you all can imagine it who are familiar with the song.

15. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They'll cap the number of people on the field by using wristbands and we can assume that the entire amount of wristbanded people won't be on the field at one time.

It's a general admission (almost said "GA") show, so there may or may not be seats, and with no stage on the field, it could be possible that field damage would be almost non-existant.

16. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Bonnaroo looks freakin sweet, but I think Coachella is a bit weak this year. There's some good bands playing there, but not enough to justify going all the way to California for three days to see.

The Sasquatch Festival looks pretty cool, too:

[​IMG]

17. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of the stage and the concerts, here's a letter written into today's Dispatch:

It was titled "Noise Will Radiate South From Stadium"

http://ee.dispatch.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=TCD/2008/02/12/10/Img/Ar0100701.gif

Here's another article written by a guy who might have a clue, then again, might not. Here's the link:
    http://www.morningjournalnews.com/sports/articles.asp?articleID=8515

"While he filled stadiums when he did play, he ended up over-stretching himself in his quest to remain relevant on the international stage and thus erased whatever impact he could’ve made."

Seems to me he made an impact, especially to anyone who watched any game on espn2 last year.

"Closer to home, the Columbus Crew have become little more than a joke in the MLS. Since superstar Brian McBride left the club for the English Premier League in 2004, the Crew have failed to make the playoffs every season. This in a league where just about every team makes the playoffs."

Now he has a clue.

Then, there's this gem:
    "The collapse of the product on the field has led to dwindling interest in Columbus so much so that the club recently gutted the entire North End of the bleacher seats to make way for a concert stage."

So, the downfall of the team's play was a factor in the FO deciding to build a stage??

"The destruction of the North End is regrettable as it was the section of the stadium which generated the most noise — especially at the critical 2005 USA-Mexico World Cup qualifier."

Ok, he does have a clue. However, as we all know, the source of that noise is merely moving a few sections over.

"The parking situation is also laughable as it often costs $10 to park in the stadium’s rut-filled grass lot on the Ohio State Fairgrounds."

Yes, if you go in the back way and pay to park at each game, or buy the preferred parking pass. If you enter the lot off 17th, doesn't it still cost $7? I thought the state was responsible for $5 of that fee with the FO receiving the extra money?

"Built for $28.5 million in 274 days, the stadium’s simple design more than shows its limitations now and could ultimately prove to be the downfall of the club if fan comfort manners aren’t addressed."

I doubt the fans will stay away because the stadium isn't the best ever.

18. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Not to argue the small stuff, but McBride left after 2003, and we made the playoffs and won the Supporters Shield in 2004.

19. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    Though, honestly, 2004 was kind of an accident, really.

20. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Be that as it may, missing such an easily-verifiable fact is inexcusable in my opinion, and doing so - at least for me - significantly reduces the quality of an article or column.

21. chmk

chmk New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    E. Lane Ave
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy talks like the stadium is the source of every problem with the Crew. Im sorry that's just wrong. He doesn't even have his facts straight. I've never heard of anyone paying 10 bucks for parking

22. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The preferred parking is $10 on gameday. Not sure what the price is in advance.

23. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also $10 to park in the mud for Nats games.

24. producepimp

producepimp Member

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbus
    And the Crew doesn’t decide how much parking is, it’s Ohio State Fairgrounds that regulates that.

25. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't think that's completely true. I thought the fairgrounds people established a minimum with the Crew deciding an additional cost to increase the Crew's revenue.