Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's my tentative pre-game plan, too.

Is that the seasonal Sommer Weizen?

catfish9 repped this.
  2. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just the normal Hef I believe and I had a lager.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

RafaLarios and catfish9 repped this.
  4. RunSudoSane

RunSudoSane Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Great pics!

I might be able to answer some questions in regards to traveling from Hofbrau/Goodale to stadium. Worked some security at White Castle during the new construction, as well as parking jobs throughout the Arena District/East Franklinton/Grandview areas.

W. Goodale St. to the Olentangy trail to the proposed/approved pedestrian bridge will be the safest route. Cyclists will be pissed if there end up being hundreds of people crowding the trail pre and post game. ********'m.

W. Goodale St. to White Castle, which has a road (private rd.) running behind the new office building, would be a possible route but somewhat dangerous. If you can bypass security, probably not too difficult (we're lazy), you still have to go under highway overpass (homeless often found here), and cross railroad tracks in two spots. I've walked it and talked to CPD who were posted near stadium (they were not happy with my journey).

Other side, from East Franklinton, There needs to be a pedestrian bridge over the rail 'T' just north of Taft's Brewporium. And, then a pedestrian level needs to be added to the existing train bridge across the river. Would open up E. Franklinton to stadium and be similar to walk from Hofbrau along trail to stadium.

Personal opinion. For young people, the location of the stadium is a curse and a blessing. Tailgating will be minimal. Pubs and restaurants are not close; but, if crew front office got the word out and put in a secure/monitored area for bicycle/scooter parking (maybe $3-4 charge), the fact that the trail will lead to the entry of the stadium could be a major positive for the younger crowd. Hell, you could bike all the way down from near flipping Delaware County, which would allow for pre-gaming anywhere within reach of the trail.

TKyle and RafaLarios repped this.
  5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but good luck biking home post-game in the dark.

Pauncho repped this.
  6. RunSudoSane

RunSudoSane Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Definitely could be an issue.

7. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I biked from Hudson to the stadium a few weeks ago. Its an easy trip down, not so easy back up. Thats not including a match and some beers. If only Uber had bike racks on many of their cars.

Im reminded of the Cuyahoga Valley Railroad where if you ride your bike to Peninsula, Ohio, you can get a discounted or maybe free train ticket back home.

8. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Early stadium rendering suggested bike scooter parking near stadium. I saw Lime scooters 1/2 block away already.

I still haven't given up on idea of being able to tailgate. Hoping someone gets creative or a surface lot gets designated for it. But it won't be like at Mapfre, which is fine because there are bars within walking distance and close to much of the parking. Betty's is going to be insane on game days - provided some developer doesn't offer her a suit case of $100 bills to sell.

9. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a ence now blocking access to that dirt road under 670 behind the White Castle HQ. I have seen rendering including future development that has an actual road running through there.

Biggest obstacle is the train tracks - oddly just like at Mapfre. I didn't get down close to river to see how much land there is under the double train bridges but hopefully they will run a bike/pedestrian path under there that connects over to apartments near stadium. That would be the best scenario to get form Hofbrauhaus.

10. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did downtown to Worthington quite a few times on the bike path after Red White & Boom. If a person has proper lights for their bike it's not so bad. That was, of course, back in my 20s when I was much less lazy than I am now.

11. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to mention doing so in March, April, November, and in all that glorious weather we always have for Crew games.

12. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I mean, common sense would say...

Oh, screw it. You're right. Point to @Minnman

13. RunSudoSane

RunSudoSane Member

Nov 3, 2011
    There might be a couple door sized breaks in that fence. And further east on the White Castle property, there is no fence. I'm in no way condoning trespassing. In fact, I was never here.

A road and development might help the situation; but, the train tracks still pose the biggest obstacle.

As an aside, did you see the amphitheater out front of the White Castle building? It's pretty cool. Not too big, but when combined with the indoor rentable party/wedding space inside the building, which can accomadate 700-800 people on multiple floors and the roof top, White Castle is going to be a nice little venue for concerts and plays.

14. RunSudoSane

RunSudoSane Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Never give-up! Never surrender!

*not so subtle brag combined with ego pump: I used to awake at 4am on Sundays and jog six miles to a downtown hotel valet job... And I was in my 50's.

15. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of guys here mention tailgating. Are the police and/or lot owners going to allow public drinking of that sort? I would think the owners would have liability issues and the law usually frowns on just stopping anywhere and opening up a cooler.

16. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard talk of Nationwide Blvd becoming an open container zone, which would be spectacular - especially on days that there are two or three events simultaneously. Otherwise, looks like we're all about to make the owner of Betty's Bar very, very rich.

I dream of the day I step off a bus at at the corner of Nationwide and High, crack open a beer, start walking west, grab a taco & Tecate from a truck down by Neil, and then stand around with my pals drinking and pre-gaming by the river.

Tobias C, redi44crew, TyphonInc and 4 others repped this.
  17. AlfredECrewman

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Feb 11, 2020
    Charleston, SC
    Looks like there’s some hop(s) in there

Bill Archer repped this.
  18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's one of those "view from your seat" things. The people who sit in the club sections are going to love the fact they won't have to see through the plastic awnings over the benches...if they can afford the view.

https://3ddigitalvenue.com/3dmap/clients/columbus-crew/

zman31 and MFRONE repped this.
  19. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well there goes 20 minutes of my life I won't ever get back. went through process with my rep and looked at 15-20 different seats and I still felt compelled to play with it. Funny thing was one of the reps for our group didn't even know how to use this. How is that possible? Critical tool to sell prospective STHs seats one would think.

20. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Is that accurate? I'm in section 213 which is supposed to be upper east side at midfield but in that rendering, they call it section 209.

21. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The section #s are messed up.

Kryptonite and POdinCowtown repped this.
  22. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    My rep didn’t know the answer to this but maybe someone here does. What are the rectangular areas in the 4 corners? They look like a bar or food service. The 2 in the south end have middle dividers. The 2 in the north end have no middle divider. Weird detail but it’s included in the renderings and the 3D viewer tool so it must be a permanent feature.

23. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are bars! We talked with our rep about that.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+