Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s a more general purpose venue, not just sports.

2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two separate independent female bathrooms literally next to each other. My wife used both, confirmed they are separate.

3. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what that's referring to. All I noted was that (1) women tend to need more time in stadium bathroom facilities then do men and (2) women's restrooms take up more square footage, per person, than do men's, since urinals aren't an option. That's going to be the case in any stadium or arena.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  4. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    #7754 Paul171121, Dec 12, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. I'm looking at original proposal and it had 8 fields fields in addition to HCS plus and indoor field (not HCS bubble) - so 10 total.

I'm curious as to where exactly these fields will be. I guess we'll see once dirt starts getting moved.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  8. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, the original-original proposal (recall, there was a pared-back version, too) looked like this:

[​IMG]

Recall that Black & Gold Blvd was going to be relocated to make room for the fields. But it also had an indoor turf field and BB courts. Those indoor facilities were cut out when this version of the proposal was pared back, due to parking space loss concerns.

I, too, am interested in hearing more about the location of these two new practice fields, and whether they'll be full-sized. I'm sure Bill Bush was have an expose on it any day now.

Anyway, the Crew ended up squeezing in three full-sized grass pitches just west of the training facility, two of which are heated. And, of course, they now have complete control over the old stadium pitch that now houses a seasonal bubble. I think that the original plan called for academy teams to have shared access to some of the "community" fields.

In the end, two more fields at HCS, plus the new facility at Kilbourne Run Park will be larger than what was originally proposed, at least for soccer (there is no indoor facility planned for Kilbourne, and no BB courts):

[​IMG]
    Note the Kilbourne faculty will have a "Championship Field & Stadium Building" that looks to have at least some minimal seating:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11Fvj9qoNArX-48YkxhZL5EOosOJKrkCS

9. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks, I would have shared both images but I have them on my phone and no longer have the access to BS board on it so couldn't easily share.

10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I used Google maps measuring tool and it seems like 2 fields would fit perfectly in that space. existing fields are 230 X 340. That space is roughly 255 X 760.

12. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That seems logical. Here's another press release:

https://governor.ohio.gov/media/new...e-addendum-for-columburs-crew-practice-fields

I don't quite understand this:

So my guess is that whole area was off-limits to State Fair parking previously, so placing practice fields on it doesn't technically eliminate any parking. It would seem odd for the team to allow parking in the players lot during the fair. I don't know what other parking on the site currently constitute "its parking facilities at Historic Crew Stadium." I guess the trailers will park somewhere else.

13. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Think the crew rented the B Lot and the Gate 18 lot. Maybe those will be available, or this is just some hubaloo to make some person on the state fair committee happy who doesn't realize the reality of the promise.

It would be nice to have a permanent indoor field for weather or just to have a large indoor space, but I am not sure that would be used too often.

14. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
  15. MLSinCleveland

MLSinCleveland Member+

Oct 12, 2006
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing the parking thing means Capys playing at LDC during the Fair.

16. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on that, Kilbourne run is not getting any bigger. There are no additional fields over what they already have. It's just getting upgraded parking and lighting and, I assume, some turf fields since some of them say natural turf

17. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSinCleveland and RafaLarios repped this.
  18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do hope that the club is a bit forthcoming on the details re: tickets at some point. How many full season packages did they sell (i.e., what's the cap)? 15K? 16K? What sort of a wait list does the team have for season tickets? It's less that I need to know these details (I mean, I want to know them, but that's not quite the same thing) but, rather, that it's the type of achievement that the team should crow about.

Bill Archer repped this.
  20. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Remember in 2011 when the team was trying to get to 10k season tickets (at a much cheaper price) but couldn't get much further than like 7k. It's wild how much things have changed.

And then a couple years later in 2013 there was a grassroots movement (I think partially led by Lamacchia) called Operation June 1st Sellout where the fans tried to do the FO's job by marketing the game and trying to get a sellout. The attendance at that June 1st game ended up barely eclipsing 11k.

catfish9, Bill Archer and LaMacchia repped this.
  21. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even in the new stadium, I think in Year One we may have only sold out the Nordecke and the VIP areas. Yeah, how times have changed.

22. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    Yep, I think coming out of Covid really affected that though. Without the Covid restrictions in 2020 and the beginning of 2021, the FO would have been able to build up the season ticket base much more effectively. It was extremely tough to sell them though with all the uncertainty around capacity restrictions, vax/mask mandates, people's comfort about being in crowds, etc.

But yea, things have changed so much. We have to keep our foot on the gas and continue to build on this momentum though. We've actually been here before when we opened HCS. I think we led the league in attendance in 1999 when we opened the stadium and were typically around 3rd or 4th highest average for the next few seasons, but mediocre play and an uninterested ownership group caused that to slip. This time it feels different though. We have an ownership groups that has proved themselves to be more than competent on the business side of things, and on the sporting side of things I don't think there's ever been as much excitement and promise.

23. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    I wonder if group tickets will still be a thing next year. I noticed they reserved part of one section in the southern part of the upper east and part of a section near the away fans for groups in the past. I hope they still have group sales to help out parents and get younger kids to the games.

Capy games could be a nice cheap group option, but I think it will be a down year given who's currently on the roster. And a new rumor this morning that Montreal is interested in Courtois.

24. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would be great to hear from someone that worked in the front office then and compare it to now. I doubt there are many/any employees still here from back then.

soccerncbus repped this.
  25. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    While I wouldn't blame him for making the jump to being a senior head coach, I'm sure Nancy is telling him that he probably doesn't want to work for Joey the cockjuggler and other opportunities will open up.

catfish9, Tobias C and soccerncbus repped this.