Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    #7101 HectorM, Nov 15, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2022

Your post makes some excellent points but in at least one respect you contradict yourself.

Sports isn't pricing itself out of customers, rather, sports is pricing itself out of regular, everyday customers. They both know it and don't care.

Professional sports is more profitable than ever. It's still a growth industry. Precourt bought an MLS team (plus a stadium) for around $65 million seven years ago and he now owns an asset worth at least $500 million, and it isn't because no one can afford to buy tickets.

Arthur Blank bought an MLS team what, four or five years ago now, for around $120 million. y the time a team actually hit the field it was worth $200 million, and now - well, pick a crazy number and you probably won't be too far off.

Yes, the days when Mom, Dad and the kids could wander up to the ticket window on game day, get four halfway decent seats (not to mention a modest repast of some kind) are in the past in all sports, a relic of an America of golden memory that no longer exists.

Sports has become like top end hotels and four star restaurants - most of the time some company is picking up the tab, so the owners can charge $35 for a cheeseburger and $15 for a beer and nobody cares.

I would contend that sports owners know exactly who their customers are now and have crafted the product to attract them. Like LDC, venues have become less "take me out to the ballgame" and more of a boutique experience for the well-to-do. By design, because people will pay more for the latter. If installing Barcalounger massage chairs instead of regular seats will yield more revenue, they'll do that too.

That's what we lost when the Crew left HCS. A cheap outing for Mom & them. But look at the result: they couldn't regularly draw 12,000 people at the old place and ldc, at three and four and five times the price, is selling out. They know exactly what they're doing.

It's true in music as well. Someone I know went to buy Paul McCartney tickets as a gift for his parents since his Mom loves the old fraud. A pair of not-so-hot seats was $800. Recently Bruce Springsteen tickets went on sale in some venues for $1000 each. And people bought them.

west ham sandwich and LaMacchia repped this.
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Argh!

Did Timon miss this one?

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH, let's see what happens if the team doesn't improve (and stay competitive) once the "new stadium!!" buzz wears off. Even HCS was getting 17k on a weeknight for DC/Chicago when it was new, but people stopped coming once the buzz wore off and Nee ran the team into the ground.

Of course, the primary difference was that Lamar was in Dallas and very patient to fire Nee, whereas Dr. Pete is local and one of the Haslam people are usually at games.

Taylor Swift is gonna be the same way. Of course, it's not exactly the same story as sports tickets with all the different presales, people taking advantage of the capitalist market, backlog from the past few years, not wanting to do a lot of dates Monday-Thursday, dynamic pricing, but yeah. Concert tickets are stupid expensive.

Pearl Jam tickets for 2010 were around $75. In 2013/2014, they were just north of $100. Now, they're close to $150 and people are complaining about "they used to fight for low prices" and I'm just like "yeah, that was 1998. Look at what others are charging."

Of course, part of that is the stupid VIP, Diamond, Platinum packages that bands do where you get the "load of crap" that increases with the higher-level packages. Many times, decent seats can still be found on the secondary market...and you're in front of the "Premier Package" of $800 seats with the poster, laminate, autographed CD, meet and greet, etc.

4. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the non-soccer side of the Crew FO is doing their jobs the buzz will never wear off and going to a Crew game will be an exciting event no matter the performance of the team.

stanger and Kryptonite repped this.
  5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's me. Hi.

After setting up an elaborate presale lottery structure, Taylor Swift tix went on sale today and promptly crashed Ticketmaster. Just trashed it. Then if you did manage to get on, the payment portal didn't work and just kicked you off so that you could get in line again behind literally thousands of other buyers.

Is this really the best Ticketmaster can do? It's not like it's a surprise that every female under 17 in the universe would beating shit out of a keyboard desperate to see Tay Tay.

I'm guessing resale for Swifties will be roughly the same price as buying a decent used car.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  6. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually got 4 with no problem right at 10 when the presale window opened.

Bill Archer repped this.
  7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincy or Pittsburgh?⁰

8. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cincy. My oldest bought 6 right after we got ours, too.

We had all ours bought by 11 with no issues. I think it crashed right after we got done.

9. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I get it. You got yours, so everyone else should just Shake It Off?

Bill Archer and stanger repped this.
  10. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh - didn’t even get a presale code!

11. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We got lucky. Two of my daughters got codes, three of us got waitlisted.

12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Remember when someone claimed Millennials and Gen-Z favored quality?

I 'member.

west ham sandwich and CybrSlydr repped this.
  13. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Quality is subjective.

14. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Is it, though?

15. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    When it comes to music/art, I'd say yes. When dealing with the meth I'm cooking, definitely not.

16. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So glad I'm not a parent. Lol

puttputtfc and Timon19 repped this.
  17. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Ticketmaster sucks but what are you gonna do?

18. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Ticketmaster is not the "quality" at issue here (though they are and always have been terrible).

19. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I definitely understand why they would want to spend that kind of money on a supreme talent like Tay Tay rather than on 10 tickets to see a mediocre band like Rush.

20. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    This is the guy who should be drinking cosmos, @puttputtfc .

TKyle and DrunkandDisorderly repped this.
  21. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I know.

I'm the problem it's me.

22. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Cosmos? That statement gets him relegated to Malort.

DrunkandDisorderly and TKyle repped this.
  23. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    Tix for TayTay in Cincinnati are available on StubHub. Lower bowl is listed at $2000 and up.

24. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How many bottles of Malort will that buy?

TKyle repped this.
  25. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not enough to make TayTay sound good...

kgilbert78, puttputtfc and Bill Archer repped this.