Crew Stadium 2.0 - Construction News and Notes

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by LaMacchia, Oct 6, 2019.

1. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Anyone else having trouble accessing the camera? It’s fun to watch and disappointing when it fails.

2. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, not loading for me, either. I'm guessing/hoping that, by later in the spring when the above ground work really commences, there will be a substantial improvement in this area, as well as coverage of the stadium project, in general. It's one of the few things FCC is doing well.

Is is interesting to see how they're excavating down maybe 25-30 ft (?) within the boundaries of the entire site as the secant wall is completed. "Interesting" in an I'm-the-sort-of-person-who-likes-to-watch-stadium-construction-webcams kind of way, that is.

3. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    As someone familiar with construction projects and the various staff you find on construction sites, the Construction Management Firm has to have an intern or entry level engineer that should be tasked with making sure the camera is in working order at all times.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  4. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Is there much kayaking downtown? It seems to play a part in the design.

Do engineers use the term "100 year flood plane"? I've always seen flood plain.

6. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Floodplain is the correct usage for me but engineers (myself included) are better with numbers than words so maybe some use the other. I could see some pedantic engineer fighting that plane could be correct.

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The camera is working great today. A nice clear view on a sunny day. The secant wall looks to be about 50% complete. They are working on Saturday morning !

In a related matter...I walked by the Crew Stadium Experience Center in the Short North last night and saw a really sweet, large scale model of the new stadium. The model is about 5' x 5'. The model even has functional stadium lights. There was Crew staffers in there working last night at 5:00pm in the western portion of the space, while construction continues in the eastern portion. The staffers saw me looking through the window(with a Crew scarf on) at the model, and the look on their faces was "shit we were not ready to unveil this yet". :)

catfish9 repped this.
  9. Dr.Fever

Dr.Fever Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 19, 2018
    The faces might have been a little bit different if you were smiling with your phone in your hand taking pictures. Haha.

Appears to me that anywhere you see the 'perimeter railing structure' the secant wall portions are complete. So, I will go at maybe 65-70%.

Bill Archer repped this.
  10. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was definitely smiling, no photos.

11. runningoz

runningoz Member

Oct 25, 2014
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How did it look compared to the available renderings?

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait.

What?

13. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The model even has functional stadium lights.

14. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Unlike MAPFRE which has halogen (or whatever) flood lights that take 5 minutes to warm up, newer stadiums are using LEDs. Audi field is able to do some cool instant on/flash stuff during introductions and after goals. I’d love to see a more choreographed performance style show in the new stadium. Something to entertain casuals is what brings them back.

Robbiegoal, Tobias C, Kryptonite and 2 others repped this.
  15. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I could see from the storefront window it looked amazing. No major changes from the renderings we have seen. It's going to be iconic, dark and mysterious with it's sharp edges and angular details. The roof structure is compressed and tight to the stands(unlike what you see at RSL and Philly) and will undoubtedly create a wall of sound. The plaza looks like it will be a cool place to hang out pre-match. The functional lights on the architectural model are what really caught my eye, in the brief time that we were staring through the window.

Tobias C, Minnman and runningoz repped this.
  17. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what, your phone was broken and you couldnt grab a picture or two?

Pauncho and LaMacchia repped this.
  18. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #668 CybrSlydr, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    In an effort to prevent any images before the center opened, the well-trained, superior organizational employees thrust themselves upon the model in droves to destroy it rather than images get out before the shop opened.

A costly action, but justified by the importance of the subject. Easier to rebuild a model than to pull pics off the internet and out of someone's mind.

[​IMG]

Bill Archer repped this.
  19. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two small points from Tuesday night that your post reminded me of:

One, Bez and Pete talked about a new point of sale system being rolled out at Mapfre this year, that'll transition to the new stadium. That we'll go from having one of the poorest POS structures in MLS, to one of the best in the new stadium.

Second, though it may be related to this new system, they talked about how, in the new stadium, the plaza will have mobile entry points, where you actually "enter" the stadium, out on the periphery of the plaza. But on non-match days, those wouldn't be there, allowing the plaza to function as public space the vast majority of the time.

WhiteHartShame repped this.
  20. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like how they do things at Fenway these days....

21. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not opposed to this bridge, but not seeing how it helps, anything.
    We already have the "Lower Scioto Greenway people bridge just 200 meters to the south doing essentially the same thing?

They are not making any new car roads so that the Crew stadium ins't the pimple of the Arena District. There is no effective way to leave the Stadium going West (or North or South.) I would have much much preferred a 4 lane road that connected to Spring/Long St. That would allow traffic to pass by the stadium, in a natural progression. But as it is anyone who wants to check out the stadium, can only leave by doing U-Turn to get back out of there.

And speaking of the Olentangy River; Gawd, that 5 million dollar beautification project has made this river an incredible eyesore/blight to the middle of our fair city.

EDIT: The more I think about it, the more I'm annoyed with these people bridges. I really think they are being put in place to stop car bridges from being made in the future. Another people bridge is being made in place of the Bethel - Morse connector citizens have been clamoring for the last 40 years.

MLSinCleveland repped this.
  22. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bridge was first proposed in 2015, and approved in 2017, though obviously, it wasn't built. I understand why people are referencing it in connection to the stadium (i.e., people tend to be dumb and lazy), but it really has nothing to do with the stadium project. I mean, yeah, it might help a small number of fans get to/from the game. But in general, it's really just a way to connect the Olentangy Trail to the Arena District. Which I'm totally cool with, especially since there will be a new riverside park on the east bank of the river.

You're right that there's a bridge slightly south of this location. I'm not sure, though, if or how it allows bike traffic or pedestrians to cross Spring St. in order to get to the stadium.

Anyway, the bigger news, from several weeks ago, is that the city is now exploring a direct connection from East Franklinton to the AD. The original plan, from ten years ago, was a pedestrian and bike bridge, but it now seems as though a span that would also carry traffic is being considered. That's the real substantive project.

But regarding the bike bridge, potentially more interesting to me is that renderings show a new trail running along the east bank of the river to the new White Castle site. I'm more likely to walk or bike that segment of the trail from, say, Hofbrauhaus, than ever use the new bridge to access the stadium site.

On those very rare occasions when we play a weekend afternoon game in warm-ish weather, I could see biking down from my home in Clintonville, and using the new bridge. But there's no way I'd bike down for a 7:30pm game, then try and bike home on the trail in the dark afterwards.

23. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don' think it does. There is a sidewalk leading to Spring/Long, but no (safe) way to get into traffic on Hanover. I think you have to continue over to Neil to get north.
    This is still preferable to the current stadium, fighting 4th/Summit traffic. Sure it's a bit dark I suppose.

24. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting myself here, it would be under a mile walk (about 4,700 ft.) from Hofbrauhaus to the stadium along the east bank of the Olentangy, using the new trail that'll connect the White Castle development at Goodale.

25. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    There's crosswalks at Hanover but not controlled. You have to travel down to Neil to get to a light controlled crossing. I use the Hanover when going for a run since you don't wait to wait for a light, just for a chance to play some frogger. Any other time, I use Neil to cross more safely.

Has anyone seen the improvements to the Spring/Long and Hocking intersection? I know I've seen that improvements were planned but not sure if I've seen exactly what they are planning there.