Crew looking to sign defender

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually that was supposed to be one of the benefits of Schmid over Andrulis; that we were going to develop a team from the core instead of getting players for the season.

And, yes, it will take more than a Pope or even a DP to compete. If all we do is sign a Pope then hope for the best, well that isn't too smart. But if they are attempting to correct multiple deficiencies to contend in 2007 without hosing the future then I'd be willing to give them a little benefit for trying.

2. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's one in Richmond, Stephen Wolfe. He's an actually pretty decent left back, distributes well from the back.

Hey, at least he has beaten the Galaxy this year already. We need the three points.

3. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    We still have Gonzalez and Hendrickson. I would argue that they are at least adequate. O'Rourke could play center back if necessary.

I think RSL's fans deserve to have Pope for the rest of the season.

4. HardestWorkingFan

HardestWorkingFan Piss on the F*re

Oct 29, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    Pope? As has already been said, a late supplemental pick for Pope wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Victorine? It depends greatly on what we'd be giving up. It would be nice to have the depth, but there's not much that we already have that would be worth giving up to get him.

Pete Vaginas? I'd rather have a last round 2026 supplemental pick than this overpaid loser. Or a bag of old socks. At least the old socks won't suck up our cap space.

Way to shake things up there, Crew. If this USL dude could only manage to earn 'sparing' playing time over three seasons, and considering that the quality of the league has improved dramatically in just the last year alone, then what makes anyone (Sigi, specifically) think he's going to be worthwhile now? I can't imagine that our options were so few that this guy was the best one. Why even bother?

5. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Fans on the LA board are completely aghast that Pete Vagenas might have been traded.

(Then again, they were rejoicing when Nate Jaqua was traded.)

6. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm not sure if you're kidding or not. We're completely aghast that we missed the chance to trade Pete.

7. cleazer

cleazer Member+

May 6, 2003
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late breaking news, we just made a deal:

Greg Oden is our newest star player, we have signed him as our DP.

8. jcrocker

jcrocker Member

Jun 1, 1999
    Springboro, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pathetic. Let's pick up a few more UCLA/Galaxy has beens now i know Sigi doesnt have a clue.

I have a better solution. Fire Sigi, change to a 4-4-2, and put Ward and Zayner on the field. I cant believe they are worse then some USL player.

9. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I was kidding Baysider.

10. kmmc

kmmc Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't DC shopping Bobby Boswell around a couple weeks back? I wonder if Sigi and FO considered that possibility?

11. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm fine with seeing some of our depth. I want to see Zayner and Ward and I'd like to see Rogers and Herron. How about some of those other dudes that have been riding the pine all year, are they any good? I hear Garey's been doing well on the reserves, why not give him a shot and get Kamara some minutes too?

Basically, I'm already resigned to not winning this weekend in KC, as KC has completely owned us the last 2+ years. So why not just get these guys a run out there against some good competition and see where they land. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. Going with the same old same old probably is going to result in the same kind of scorelines that we've been seeing for what, 7 weeks now? Throw the dice.

That makes sense, as the Crew would sign somebody that was currently injured, I'm sure of it.

12. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I don't think United shopped Boswell to USL teams, only MLS teams.

As for throwing the dice, I'd rather not. If we are as bad as everybody says, those players will have several chances to play in October. Plus, there are three reserve league matches remaining, four if the Red Bulls match is made up.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course not. Boswell never attended UCLA. Duh.

14. Big Strong Patrick

Big Strong Patrick That's so Gaven

Dec 9, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did we cut Aaron Chandler if we aren't going to use Ben Hunter or Ryan Junge?

15. CrewFootball

CrewFootball Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    How about Roque Jr. or Didier Agathe. Couldn't be worse than our other options. Both are free agents. Not sure about fitness.

16. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    If you're looking to Griffin to help your team then you have no chance at all. When he was here, his absolute best games were when he was somewhat mediocre. The only reason he stayed on the team for as many years as he did was because he was willing to stay at developmental roster salary.

Maybe the USL turned him around but likely he'd be a wasted pick-up.

17. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Columbus Crew: The home for wasted potential.

18. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I don't think too many people would argue with that line of thinking, even in this forum.

I think it's because with this team in danger of missing the playoffs for a third consecutive year, posters have been able to work on their negative chops more frequently than their positive chops.

I don't think anyone here has ever posted they'd want to mortgage the future for now. In fact, I think a number of people made statements similar to yours in the other thread about McCullers's "fantasy" thinking comment. However, I think it's fair for people to be frustrated when they see other teams making moves - moves that likely didn't mortgage their futures - to better position themselves for the playoffs or a deeper run, and wonder why Columbus can't do the same. If Columbus is trying to improve and not getting results, so be it. On the other hand, if they were making no attempt I would be extremely disappointed.

19. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Because he had an outstanding preseason?

Because San Francisco is a less expensive area to live?

I don't know.

He ended this year playing a few games for the California Victory

20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    California Victory? Will mergers ever stop? ushering in the era of Big Gym the new evil of america.

21. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why the hell did we sign Andrew Peterson if we weren't going to use him outside of reserve games?

22. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So nobody would complain that we didn't have a full roster.

23. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, hi. Question: HOW THE HELL DID I NOT KNOW THAT WE SIGNED ANDREW PETERSON!?!?!

Who's Andrew Peterson, again?

24. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn, direct hit (on me). Still, though I was off the mark on the current roster status (Marshall's not on it), I will say using the players ON the roster effectively is one thing, and having a full roster to choose from is another.

I would hope that a club would do both. I would also assume that if a player is on the SENIOR roster, than he is someone who can contribute AT present (if he isn't, then he should be developmental). Instead, we are now in the position of making a trade (giving up something) because we don't have enough depth.

This tends to happen when you don't A) Give players on your roster a chance to play (Garey, Kamara, Herron, Rogers, Zayner) and B) Don't have a full senior roster (17 of 18).

I would say that the Crew have failed in both departments. We don't use our senior roster players effectively (some rarely if ever see the field), and we don't have 18 of them to boot. Neither factor is a positive in evaluating an organization or its manager.

I don't think it is much of a logical leap to say that since you are going through a season with less players to choose from, its hurts your depth, and your chances. I also find it hard to believe there aren't players who can help us out there.

Having said that, Foosh, I think your point about not wanting to make a bad deal is a valid concern. But really, what would morgaging the farm consist of on this team? We always screw up our draft choices (though I don't want to give them away). And who are the players on the team who are invaluable to success/shouldn't be traded? Schelotto? Marshall? Hejduk? Gonzalez? Gaven? Not much else. Heck, I've heard Frankie, Chad, and Eddie's name all bandied about.

Simply put, we are in contention for a playoff push. We have injuries and suspensions. We have gone 6 games without a win. We have an open roster spot (maybe also a developmental?). We have an open SI slot. We have a DP slot. If your not going to use them to help your team try to make the playoffs, WHEN are you going to use them?

P.S. I don't think this team is THAT far out of it. Losing Marshall hurt, but a little better depth on defense and some offensive spark, and we're in with a chance.

25. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    The Crew are working to solve this problem. They are holding open tryouts October 20.