Crew - Galaxy Pregame

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by kaiser kraut, Aug 13, 2002.

1. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tomorrow is the last Buck-a-Brat night of the season, and LA is coming to town. We had 17K+ at the last Wed. game. Hopefully we can pull just as many, if not more tomorrow. We played LA on the 27th, losing 2-1 with Ruiz scoring 2 and Jones assisting on both. Hey Greg, that might be a tip on who you need to blanket for the game. A win would put us above the metros, but the fire could match it when they play KC. LA has the second lowest goal production w/ Ruiz accounting for about 55% of their goals. The good thing is that LA is not very good on the road... I think we'd have a good chance if we could get some of our guys healthy.

The MLS site injury report hasn't been updated in a couple weeks, so it's useless. Anybody know anything about Harkes & Perez? I assume that McBride and Denton are out for sure. Also, is Clark available for this game?

My line-up:

----Cunningham -- Buddle----
    --Garcia - Martino - West-
    ------ ---Mais--- -------
    Torres-Dunseth-Oughton-Leitch
    ----- --- Busch --- ------

2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't know if Clark is avaialable for this game or not. If he is I think you'll see him startin where you have Oughton in the back line. I think Oughton will move up into midfield, Garcia will sit and you'll see maze or Martino working the left side. I really have been impressed with oughton's work in defensive midfield recently (especially against Williams in the Metros game) and he has shown some smarts coming forward and attempting shots on net. I'd also start Dante and bring Buddle in for the last 30 or so.
    What's Deenton's status? It is nice even though he's so mercurial to have Torres back at left back, especially if Denton isn't set to go. As far as blanketing Ruiz, well I think every team in MLS has attempted that so far this season, and not too many have been successful. He's gonna get one or two on us. I think we should make sure thate Ezra and Cobi don't make too many dangerous runs up the flanks. That means no stupid fouls just outside the box or inside Torres!!!!
    Well, honestly I don't see us gettin three outta this, 2-2. Crew goals by Dante and West. Ruiz and a late one by Glinton for the Galaxy.

3. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruiz is a finisher, plain and simple. Most of the time he needs a decent feed near or in the box to make a goal out nothing. If we cut his service, maybe that would be more effective than blanketing him? If we can shut down Jones & Elliot, maybe that would hamper his scoring chances considerably? Maybe Busch can direct traffic better since he's played them recently and might have picked out a mistake they made before?

I'll agree with you that Oughton's D-mid work has been a revelation of late. I'd almost think of starting him instead of Mais, but Greg would never do that. I'm just getting annoyed with all of these midfield signings and no room for them. Why can't we have this problem in the back, with too many defenders who deserve time?

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there's also a ticket deal where 1 adult ticket at regular price gets up to 4 free (day of game, $5) youth tickets for the lower sideline.

so attendance should be decent.

And Busch better start.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see Mais get more involved in the offense. Even GA has said that our forwards are really holding their own but the midfield isn't scoring.

One reason is lack of production from Mais. One year ago, if you recall, he was MLS "Player of the Month" for having scored, IIRC six goals and I don't recall how many assists.

Oughton to DMd, Mais to the middle, Martino as a sub.

And if Clark can't go, move Torres back to the middle where he says he's more comfortable, where he certainly was effective earlier, and where he doesn't have to get into footraces with strikers, because he loses and gives up PK's. Some guys just play better with the play in front of them, and I think he's one of them.

So for me, I'd do:

......JC............Dante.......

..Garcia.....Mais......West..

............Oughton.............

Denton...Dunseth....Leitch

..............Torres.............

Although I also like McCarty for Dunseth; not because he can play but because, dammit, he can hurt people and I'd like to see some bite back there.

Busch between the pipes.

6. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Am I the only one who isn't that impressed with Mais? Never have been.

I'm sure I am the only one in Ohio, at the very least.

7. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If you are mentioning this season, then I have not been very impressed with Mais. However last year he was one of our top two players. During that run last year he actuall shot the ball from time to time, and for some reason this year he seems afraid to, I really don't get it.

8. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only have LA had difficulty on the Road, but C'bus has always given us problems.

Sigi has decided to rest 'Lexi and Cien. Neither of them have made the trip so that should help you guys as well. However, we'll have Craig in for 'Lexi so we are trading experience for a bit more wheels (though Califf will probably be in the middle...possibly with Tyrone if Sigi goes with 4 at the back) And a midfield of Cobi, Simon, EZ and Peter more than likely. Still tough to break down. :)

Wish this match was on TV...have a couple brats for me. :p

9. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mais's thing might be that last year he was coming back from an extended injury and he may have felt he needed to prove himself again. He was probably more motivated then than he is now. It's too bad his form didn't carry over into this season. He's clogging up the middle though. If you look at MLS stats he's a leading foul committer and sufferer, which says to me he knows how to get under other player's skin. However, I think Oughton has been doing a good job of this lately. He's been putting some hard hits on people, and I think it helps a lot. He just has to be careful not to pick up too many yellow cards, especially not too early in the match.

10. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    He played good enough for Raoul to take my 10 bucks away.

11. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLSnet.com says:

Columbus: M John Wilmar Perez (sprained MCL-L), F Brian McBride (sprained ankle-L)

No mention of Harkes or Denton... is it safe to say they are both available for the game? That would be nice to have some depth back on the bench.

12. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Over rated. He may be doing what the coach is telling him...and barely crossing midfield. Notice when he does pass...he doesn't go. We have to trust our defense some, especially if Oughten is in etc. He has to start going forward and not making excuses on why "he isn't a forward" or whatever he said in the disptch about blowing the last couple of chances he took. He just has to have confidence and make it happen. He has always had a confidence problem I think. With the Crew these past couple of years anyway.

13. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I think what he said was "that's why they don't play me at forward" after the few MLS All-Star game misses. He does go up and I've seen plenty of give and go intents from him but either he doesn't get the ball back or it's off mark. It seems that the only shots he's taken recently has been after he's been sent through 1 v 1. I recall the MetroStars game two weeks ago where he forced a save by Howard after the return pass sent him into the box to Howard's left.

His problems have been more with taking the shot from where midfielders usually take it - 15-35 yards from goal. It seems that he hasn't looked to pull the trigger from there this season.

Maybe the August heat brings back memories from last August when he was Player of the Month for his performance in 6-7 games that month.

14. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I don't like LA.

Do all their fan women look like this?

[​IMG]

picking her fat ass, no less. Looks like Miquel is going so slip her a ruphie, too. Not that he'd need it to bag that hag.

15. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    bailey, put a warning up before you post something so hideous...

16. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Yeeeaaaahh, about that $10... sorry I missed you.

Mais is in a different position this year as part of a 4 man midifeld vs. 5 last year. Last year he could share D-mid with Harkes and slip into the offense differently (+ be fed and covered by JH). I believe he was a D-mid in WC '98 and is probably more comfortable running from the back.

IMO we nedd a healthy J Harkes to beef up distribution and organize the D.

17. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I agree with OGHT...

...Bailey should have warned us about the picture...

...especially scary first thing in the morning.

18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you see Mais at the All Star game? Pushed up often and created some problems. Just an observation...

According to our own beloved Columbus Dispatch today, the starting lineup tonight:

GK -- Jon Busch

D -- Chris Leitch, Brian Dunseth, Mike Clark, Daniel Torres.

MF -- Kyle Martino, Brian Maisonneuve, Brian West, Duncan Oughton.

F -- Edson Buddle, Dante Washington.

19. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    So I assume West will be on the left and Duncan on the right? I know, I know...I shouldn't assume anything...

Oh, and I apologize for the picture.

20. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Why ohh why don't they do this before the fall season starts for soccer youth? Every kid I know is playing rec, club, or high school way before now. they are practicing, scrimmaging, and it'll be interesting what youth show. They have to be pretty young.