Crew fans to 'Black Out' Galaxy Sept. 30

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Grouchy, Aug 27, 2007.

1. DRWCrew

DRWCrew Member

Aug 11, 2003
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was surprised the promotion doesn't include a giveaway for the shirts. Wouldn't be a bad idea. And you probably can get a local company to sponsor them given it's the Beckham game. Poor job again by the Crew FO.

2. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    If you think that each t-shirt would cost around $4 with printing...

You're talk around $100,000 a business would shell out if you're going to offer up 24,000 shirts.

That is a lot of coin.

3. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I know it's not my money, but I would think $100,000 wouldn't be too much money if the Crew really wanted this look. I'm also no marketing or sales expert, but usually when teams go this route and they chuck freebies they get some sponsor to slap their name on the shirts to help, if not completely, offset the costs.

4. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

Yeah, and I'd think there would be quite a few sponsors who would be excited at the idea of a guaranteed sell-out, and all kinds of people, getting their shirt. Put some silly "blackout" themed logo on the front, put 4 or 5 sponsors logos on the back.

I'll post my resume on Monster.com if the marketing dept. needs help...

5. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if they need help? you apparently haven't been following the Crew long enough ;)

Only would the crew marketing department avoid targeting males 20-30 with disposable income which should be their target audience if they were willing to think more long term. The marketing at Ohio State is non existent beyond selling some unadvertised discount tickets. Idiots, the lot of them.

6. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    I think that if one were to look around MLS, one would likely find that this isn't a Crew-only "problem." It's not that I disagree with the idea, but I suspect that MLS marketing and ticketing offices are small numbers-wise and have to identify into which areas to put their resources. While season ticket holders, in my opinion, form the backbone of a team's support, chasing the youth soccer market - effectively letting the clubs market and sell for you - is probably an easy out.

7. CrewBeat

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's my belief that if the crew invest in that market now and get those individuals to become fans, when the time comes they'll bring their families to matches and not just once or twice a season when they can get a free t-shirt.

8. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I informed the wife of the "Black Out" last night, and she insisted she's wearing the Beckham Galaxy replica t-shirt she purchased.

Is this grounds for divorce?

9. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I only went to the first one but the Ultimate Tailgate seemed to go over pretty well and pretty much everyone there was in that target audience.

10. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Use the threat of divorce as it is justified. That improves your bargaining position and you can come away with a deal for something much, much better than divorce.

11. foozer

foozer Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indy
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not divorce. Accidentally washing it with reds, so that it turns out pink? Absolutely.

12. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't this the same line that the FO has been feeding us since the inception of CCS. Is hasn't worked yet. Either the logic is flawed or the implementation is flawed......I think I lean to the latter.

13. AuntLoosey

AuntLoosey New Member

Jun 21, 2007
    We just keep spinning around in circles! This organization has blown every move at building the market in columbus. They have a huge obstacle to overcome. The real soccer people in this town feel screwed over by this owner. T-shirts and other specials aren't going to get it anymore.
    This market wants good soccer! Period. i understand that McCuller is just the hired gun, but putting lipstick on a pig isn't going to work anymore. And all of the owners attempts to generate revenue without having to cough up for a good team are failing. You market those groups by spending the money for good quality soccer. show the youth clubs some integrity. Stop being cheap, stop screwing the soccer fans!

14. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    If you compare ticket prices....

Code:
    Lower Level:  Home Depot Center: $75  Crew Stadium: $22  
    Upper Level:  Home Depot Center: $40  Crew Stadium: $18
    Corner:       Home Depot Center: $50  Crew Stadium: ??
    End Line:     Home Depot Center: $35  Crew Stadium: $10-$15       

Maybe HSG is being cheap for a reason.

15. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the "Hut"
    endline - 16
    midfield East - 28
    sideline east - 24
    midfield west club - 45
    sideline west 28

A bit closer to apples to apples when talking HSG

16. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    Did somebody turn the clock back to 2006 without telling me? Why again are we having the Hunt-is-cheap and McCullers-is-clueless discussions?

It's not an "easy out," its smart use of time and money. Paying (I'm just making this number up) $10,000 for an ad on television will get very limited return. Maybe a couple people will be curious and call in for tickets. On the other hand, spending that same $10,000 to send a couple players out to a youth club, sending a ticket guy, and following up with them by sending out a few mailings, will get enormous return compared to that TV ad.

I don't know why people can't understand that concept. They're marketing to groups that they've had success with, things where they can get a return on their investment. Throwing money at the 20-30 year old crowd who aren't coming to games already is effectively a waste.

17. CrewBeat

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is an untapped market at Ohio State, not even counting the vast number of international students. How is it throwing away money to hang up some schedules around campus or doing some promos? Their atempts to market there are at best pathetic.

18. electrickeeper

electrickeeper The Ginger Pele
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Oct 14, 2002
    The Cheese Room
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    And that sound you just heard?

That was Don Garber and AEG crapping one big terd.

20. Goalden

Goalden New Member

Aug 4, 2003
    Bottoms
    And I'm sure McCuller Marketing is having an emergency meeting to dream up ways of convincing us that this is good for us - because we are an elite organization.

21. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wash it with some black rit-dye ;)

Either that or get the house the kids and the dog in the settlement...

22. soccerwookie

soccerwookie New Member

Aug 2, 2001
    Columbus OH
    nonsense. She can wear that jersey and cheer as loud as she wants from the couch, where you will be leaving her while you go to the game.

23. xb1srw2

xb1srw2 New Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will surely send us into a recession with all the lost wages that scalpers will have to face.

24. jairadballerina

jairadballerina Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    C-Town
    I have it on good authority that Bernanke will cut the Beckham rate to combat the downward push of attendance.