Crew-DC Postgame[R]

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by dred, Oct 19, 2003.

1. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    I'm so freaking happy that I've even checked the DC post-game thread and the KC pre-game thread. And those comments by people were made out of frustration and/or alcohol (you know that watching the Crew this season has driven many to drink excessive amounts of alcohol - me included?). But we all know that "necessary changes" will be made unless we somehow end up winning a match in LA before next year.

2. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    My boy Jeff Cunningham (yes, i think i've changed sides- we need him):

COLUMBUS CREW FORWARD JEFF CUNNINGHAM:

On the game:
    “The six years I’ve been on this team, that was the best performance I’ve seen this team play.”
    “I saw in the guys at the beginning of overtime, we’re still going to go in there and fight.”

On probable playoffs:
    “If we make the playoffs, the championship’s ours.”

3. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    To anyone who was rooting for the Crew to lose so "neccessary changes" as FF stated needed to be made, fcuk off!!!

This is one of the best wins in Crew history considering the opponent, and circumstances. I honetly can't remember being this proud or happy after a match since the open cup. our boys can still pull this out. I guarentee it, and aside from the least match we played Chicago great the first two matches this season. I'm not afraid of facing that team in the playoffs at all.

I believe we will get the neccessary result next Sunday, I can't wait.

4. Turk from Pigs Eye

Turk from Pigs Eye New Member

Jun 14, 2002
    Pigs Eye (St. Paul),
    Kudos to APC for finding about an acre of space in the box and making a good cross to the far post.

Did McBride foul Prideaux on that play? It looked like he had his hands on Brandon's shoulders.

5. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    The ref deserved to be shot if he had called any contact that may have been happening on that play. Specifically after he didn't make a call when BMB got sandwiched going for a header in midfield during the first OT.

6. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Thanks to those who started the thread.

McBride came to play in his shortened role.

And did it look like Andrulis was saying, "I saved my job for another week!"?

7. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For God's sake, people. This has been the season from Hell. Depression, despair and anger have run rampant.

We've earned the right to feel good about something again. OUR BOYS downed the Filth. A tremendous game, one of the best ever in MLS. AGainst the Filth to boot. Causing Ray Hudson to look sad. The best American forward ever shows once again why he is the best. DC fans who, moments earlier, were dancing in the aisles getting a hard right to the face. (Can you imagine their walk to the parking lot? Makes me all warm and toasty just thinking about it). West leaving everything he had out on the field. Cunningham working his ass off. Buddle absolutely defiant. Screw Andrulis - these are OUR BOYS.

Is everything right in the world? Absolutely not. Will this change anything vis-a-vie the outlook for next season? Most likely no again.

But this is a great night and I intend to enjoy it. If this doesn't wind your watch, fill your cup and make you want to ravish your woman like a caveman then you and I have nothing whatever in common.

[​IMG]

8. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    god i wish that game was in columbus.

9. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Thank you Bill, for telling it like it is.

10. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    I'm confused. I feel like we won some sort of championship.

I've had this feeling before, after the open cup final but I certainly didn't expect it after this game.

Anybody else feel that?

11. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Whatever the outcome next Sunday, there were some PLAYERS who left it all out there today.

Next Sunday we need to cheer for them and the effort they displayed today. It would have been awfully easy to go quietly into the night after Petke's goal.

If your name is Brian and you're a Crew player - you da Men.

12. MD_05

MD_05 New Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Ohio
    I'd have to add Oughton's name to that list. AND CUNNINGHAM.

13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will add one negative note though:

If MLS intends to make a dent in the mainstream sports scene then something has to be done about blatent cheating like that dive Hristo made. How do you explain to an average American sports fan that cheating like that is part of the game?

What a disgrace. When the annpouncers in the booth are laughing and asking for replays because it's so funny to watch this clown flop like a newly boated bass, something is way wrong.

Is this what we want on SPortscenter tomorrow morning? Hristo is a disgrace to the league, to the city and, frankly, to the human race.

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn hard for a DCU fan to watch, but that was a fun game. And the Crew deserved the win.

Congrats to you guys. A hard-fought victory. While I can't say "I hope you make the playoffs," I can say best of luck, and you should savor this win. Showed a lot of heart out there. McBride giving the naysayers something or two to think about, and Brian West reminding you guys why, however this season went, you should absolutely keep him.

Good game.

15. righthalf

righthalf Member

May 3, 2002
    This is a massive win.

Playing DC and Chicago is like OSU playing Michigan - it is for the pride. No matter how bad the records is during the year, beating DC and Chicago will give us some pride back. It is important for the club to beat Chicago next week no matter what happens to KC-DC match.

For the club to move forward - from a mediocre club to a winning club, beating Chicago next week will be a great starting point.

For today, it is a massive win indeed.

16. Deuteriumoxide

May 27, 2003
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also Stoichkov needs to dye the grey away. He looks like my friggin grandpa running around out there.

That surely doesn't help the games image.

MLS: The Old Man Flopper League.

17. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Thanks, Bigred. I thought after Petke's goal (a terrific play by DC) we might just fade into the night. It's good to see such intensity in the last 20mins by both teams.

Hristo should be redcarded by the league for that BS and since when does a player get to rip on the 4th official and center like he consistently does? I agree with you, Bill.

18. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New avatar!

19. The Truth Commission

Mar 29, 2000
    Parts Unknown
    Won't next Saturday's loss be his farewell match anyway? I thought he was permanently moving to the sidelines beginning in 2004.

20. claire1

claire1 New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    As one of about five Columbus fans at the game, I can tell you my walk to the Metro was a thrill. The dejected looks on the DC fans' faces...too great. I was not a popular person in the stands though. What an amazing game. I just might have to fly back to Columbus next weekend for the game.

For all the crap some people give Oughton, he played a great game and was an asset today.

21. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    i usually watch only the metros but since there was no other soccer on tv, i decided to watch this game, as mentioned earlier, very poor refereeing. but great game and result, i hate dc.

22. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't believe this!!!! My son's U-10 team played in a tournament game at 4, so I taped the game, avoided the computer and watched the tape after we got home from dinner. I mis-set the recording speed, so the tape runs out exactly at the end of regulation, which I figure is ok since I don't have to bear the miserable futility of another overtime. Finally convinced myself I should at least check the score, so I logged on.

J**** H. F*****g C****t on a raft!!!

Damn it's nice to be able to feel good about something with this team again. Some guys out there finally looked like the wanted it, and played their hearts out.

Williams is useless and gone. West is a keeper and has been for most of this season -- he's really developed. I've never been solidly on one side or the other of the Cunningham debate, but he didn't convince me of much tonight (though I could probably be persuaded if I really missed something).

And no, this doesn't save Andrulis's job. Not for long, anyway.

And yes, Rob Stone is an idiot.

On the DC PK -- you refs out there, from what I saw on the tape, Williams did foul Stoitchkov, even if it wasn't a full-scale rape and murder -- I mean he pretty much wrapped his arm around him and held on. Does the ref have the option of ignoring a legitimate foul if he feels the fouled player embellished too much? Enlighten me, please.

See you Sunday!!!!

23. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    I thought so too. The flip over Hristo was priceless and he kept in position, but I think he had Petke on the tying goal. At least he was closest.

24. Breakers_rule

Breakers_rule New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    In my house.
    Hello all

Hey all,

Quiet Crew fan here. Loved watching them win today, best was the golden goal. I love watching McBride play. Love to see DC lose, something from the WUSA carries over in that also.

Anyway,

Raoul, downtown Dublin, when did they get a downtown???

Go Crew, hope they make the playoffs.

25. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's possible to both call the penalty kick and card Stoitchkov for simulating a foul. That is if Williams did clutch and hold, and Hristo was reacting to some sort of leg-chop that never actually happened, then both a foul and a simulation occured. So you could easily justify both decisions.

(FYI: this happens frequently in hockey. A 4 on 4 results from tripping or obstruction-hooking and diving.)

Most of the time though you either call the flop or just shake your hand and keep play moving.