Post-match: Crew @ Cincinnati - 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs: Conference Final - 12/2/23 6:00 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Nov 27, 2023.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 12/2/23 match vs Cincinnati?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2023.
  1. Win by two or more goals in regulation

23.5%
  2. Win by one goal in regulation

43.1%
  3. Win in extra time

13.7%
  4. Win by PKs

2.0%
  5. Lose by PKs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lose in extra time

2.0%
  7. Lose by one goal in regulation

3.9%
  8. Lose by two or more goals in regulation

5.9%
  9. See results

5.9%
  1. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lulz.

See, back when this whole MLS Season Pass thing kicked off, they had PROMISED IN WRITING...that this would be worked on and that viewers could select either the home or away team's radio call.

Apparently whoever at Apple/MLS hasn't pulled their heads out of their butts long enough to figure out how.

2. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They know what's at stake on Saturday. There ain't no stupid Prince of Wales curse in soccer.

4. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    Finished rewatching the game. We were much better than I thought. FC Cincy had some lucky defending and clearances. Two good pk shouts for the crew too that were not going to be called in the post season. And Cucho and Rossi may have been trying too hard at times.

Tactical thoughts:

Yaw was very high up the pitch during the build out. This stressed Morris, Rossi, and Amundsen. It created disjointed moments in possession and defense. Morris looked beat by the 55th minute because he was covering so much ground that Yaw vacated. Right before the first goal, Yaw moved deeper and boom it started to be more fluid. Then Amundsen moved over there and was perfect against a tired side.

Matan was pulling a lot of strings. I'm a Matan homer, but he was doing so many faints and hesitation moves to open up space. Lastly, he didn't press or drop as much until morris came off, but that seemed to be tactical; he was in power save mode.

Celebration Thoughts: Diego went to Molino and said something like you had that in you. Keegan Hughes, Quinton, and coach Abdul Salaam were on the field. Cool to see everyone involved.

Commentating thoughts: It was Twellman's best game I've ever heard. He let it breath. Good for him. Keep up the good work.

5. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #705 TrueCrew, Dec 4, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2023
    Come on. You were talking about how we played, not the scoreline. Those two things are generally related, but do not always conform. Are you telling me you cannot distinguish them?

You can hit on 19 and get a 2 for blackjack, but it is still a stupid decision, regardless. Sometimes you can play better than the opponent but still be behind (bad call, freak goal, whatever).

That was clearly the case in the first half. Not that Cincy did not have clear chances, they did. Mostly in the 2nd half (two huge saves by Schulte, one that Boupendza knocked the rebound in with his hand & the one pushed wide). But we bossed that game for the most part and ground them into dust by the end.

They scored 2 good goals + had the two big saves from Schulte, one shot high from the top of the box, and one fairly threatening cross nowhere near anyone.

We had two good shots from Cucho in half one, including the one Powell cleared off the line, the two actual goals, 2 decent penalty shouts, 2 good handball shouts, the Ramirez scissor, Rossi's header, the one that went iff Amundsen's thigh, the Gessel CK that Ramirez just missed, and at least two more shots blocked that looked very promising from close (Cucho, Yeboah, Rossi). And way more half chances.

For the match:

Possession: 63-37 Crew
    Shots: 26-11 Crew
    Crosses: 27-12 Crew
    SOG: 8-6 Crew
    Corners: 8-3 Crew
    Blocked shots: 12-2 Crew
    Expected goals: 2.7 - 0.9 Crew
    Fouls: 25-14 Cincy
    Clearances: 37-9 Cincy

zman31 and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  6. zman31

zman31 Member+

May 5, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woodshed. What did I tell ya?

7. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    And here's moments before the game winning goal. Barreal is cramping badly which keeps him from tracking Cucho into the box. We completely broke them physically.

Ball Kicker, TRUJDUB21, hardhead and 5 others repped this.
  9. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ugh. Despicable and far too common:

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  10. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dont Change Kentucky.

11. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    People are horrible.

CybrSlydr and TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  12. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”--Teddy Roosevelt

CybrSlydr, LastOfEleven and pericles repped this.
  13. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing but class down there.

You hate to paint with too broad a brush, but this is the same town as the "Who Dey is ------ Speech" shit, so it's definitely not a one off, either.

There are assholes everywhere but they do seem to have more than their share.

14. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am not sure if it has been discussed yet but huge credit to Cucho on the last goal. SOOOO many strikers would have tried to score but instead he did exactly what you are supposed to do in that situation and put it back across the goal. True mark of a team player and not some selfish striker.

15. soccerncbus

soccerncbus Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 29, 2018
    He also celebrated as if he scored, which was awesome because it proves he only cares about winning. Whether he's scoring, assisting, setting up someone else to assist, it doesn't matter, the dude just wants to win. I still can't believe Bez got him.

16. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kheli Dube could confirm the part about assholes being everywhere.

Bill Archer repped this.
  17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of the celebrations... was I the only one who thought the flag went up for offside when they got a look at Amundsen's expression?

18. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is it really that common -- or does the highlighting of it make it seem much more pervasive than it really is? Let's say when he says "multiple messages" we're talking about a dozen. That still means greater than 99.95% of those in attendance aren't horrific f#cking sh!t stains. If you include those racists who couldn't watch live, that number runs up quite a bit higher.

Society says it is bad. Time to make it a criminal offense to punish those getting off on it. That will allow the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of people to not feel compelled to offer their condolences.

19. LastOfEleven

LastOfEleven Member

May 1, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you @soccerncbus, these two videos make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

soccerncbus repped this.
  20. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    A joke to lighten the mood w3s8sj35x74c1.png

21. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great idea, Dr. Thought-Crime...

22. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, there's a difference between thinking something and doing something. I can think you're a twatwaffle and it doesn't do anything. Tweeting how your mother's a whore and why you should do her a favor by aborting yourself probably takes this thought experiment too far.

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if you say that towards a TFC fan or one of those Chicago punks who would come to Columbus with the sole purpose of assault/theft...

24. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    I lost my eye glasses a few weeks ago I’m nearsighted but I’ve seen replay multiple times and Vasquez tripped over himself and Moreira never touched him. Anyone have evidence otherwise ? I think the refs owe us a apology a lesser team folds after that bullshit call

25. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think Vasquez's left leg glanced Moreira's left leg while both running full stride. Moreira was a step behind and the glance was while Vasquez had his stride fully back and moreira's leg was fully forward. After contact, Vasquez's leg bends towards his body and he gets tripped up. When running at full speed it doesn't take much to make you fall. I thought it was a dive during the match but I can see the call now (and no VAR).

TRUJDUB21 repped this.