Post-match: Crew @ Cincinnati - 2023 MLS Cup Playoffs: Conference Final - 12/2/23 6:00 PM

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by chr1st, Nov 27, 2023.

Tags:
?

What will be the result of the Crew's 12/2/23 match vs Cincinnati?

Poll closed Dec 2, 2023.
  1. Win by two or more goals in regulation

23.5%
  2. Win by one goal in regulation

43.1%
  3. Win in extra time

13.7%
  4. Win by PKs

2.0%
  5. Lose by PKs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Lose in extra time

2.0%
  7. Lose by one goal in regulation

3.9%
  8. Lose by two or more goals in regulation

5.9%
  9. See results

5.9%
  1. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LETS FVCKING GGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Tobias C, CybrSlydr, ZipSix and 4 others repped this.
  3. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Win by two (or more).

4. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    What did they decide on Miazga, after he tried entering the referee's locker room after the NYRB match? Is he back for the ECF?

5. Paul171121

Paul171121 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 14, 2018
    POdinCowtown repped this.
  6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Get on the 'bus! PXL_20231127_191154234.MP.jpg

redi44crew, CybrSlydr, TyphonInc and 8 others repped this.
  7. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KCbus and Kryptonite repped this.
  8. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Yeah, it should be pretty obvious if he was in that area and whether he succeeded in getting inside or not. Why does it take so long to investigate? PRO filed their complaint against him, is MLS just going to piss off their officials?

Miazga missed their Philly game due to yellow card accumulation and should miss FCC's next 2 or 3 MLS matches for his serious misconduct vs the referees. Or if he is entirely innocent, there should be security video showing he was elsewhere than outside the ref's dressing room.

Ueberjames repped this.
  9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IIRC the dispute is about his demeanor and the timing.

Miazga claims that it was well after the game, he had showered and changed and simply, politely, knocked on the door because he was confused about what had happened and hoped for some clarification.

That's the Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm narrative.

The referee report apparently says he stormed in immediately after the game like the SS kicking in the door of a Jewish family and belligerently confronted the official in a threatening manner.

If you have to pick one then based on the fact that Miazga has always been an arrogant, obnoxious asshole I'd have to go with version 2.

10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS has no guts. Miazga will play. He shouldn't, but he will.

11. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How fuct is it that MLS gives coach of the year award before this game is played?

12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a regular season award.

redi44crew, kgilbert78 and TrueCrew repped this.
  13. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Miazga had been an angel -- I've got no reason to think the referees would concoct a story like this just to make a player -- any player -- look bad. I see no reason to think the referees would be anything other than objective.

Now, it's certainly possible that even the most impartial of observers can get details wrong when tempers and hot and it's a tense situation, but the mere fact that tempers may have been hot and the situation would have been tense doesn't seem to help Miazaga's case.

Bill Archer repped this.
  14. Meddlin' Truckstop Owner

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 21, 2022
    #14 Meddlin' Truckstop Owner, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023
    Beyond Miazaga's status, I think there is tremendous league office interest in seeing FC Cincinnati reach MLS Cup.

This is Cincinnati's window.

Supporters Shield, Coach of the Year, League MVP.
    Vazquez possibly off to Germany. FCC going for the city's first major pro sports title since 1990.

Lots for MLS and Fox to hype if they win.

In contrast, Crew's window is opening, won in 2020, All-Star Game next year, will be among pre-season favorites to win in 2024.

Hopefully, getting a "fair shake" Saturday from the match officials will not be a challenge.

TKyle, TrueCrew and stanger repped this.
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would MLS have any interest whatsoever in having a specific 2 million population market (Cincy or Columbus) reach MLS Cup? In 2008, we were supporters shield winners, had the league MVP and defender of the year on the roster, the coach of the year, were the league’s charter franchise that built the first soccer specific stadium, and played in a city without any modern history of ever having a pro sports championship. But I never had a sense we were the league’s preference to get to MLS Cup.

Are you seriously implying the league will try and affect the outcome of this game? Come on.

TyphonInc, foozer, ZipSix and 2 others repped this.
  16. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It does seem as though they’re dragging their feet on the Miazga case. How long could an “investigation” like this take, two days tops? In this day and age, there’s security cameras everywhere and I’d assume, one was pointing directly at the locker room. I’m sure there were at least 6-10 people including security, standing around in the pathway between the Cinci and ref locker rooms. It seems as though the league is intentionally dragging this out.

17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS was probably hoping Cincy lost so they wouldn’t even have to deal with it.

TRUJDUB21 and TrueCrew repped this.
  18. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The question I've had from the second I heard this tale of woe is where was the security?

Every sport known to man has a security guard outside the officials' locker room. I assume it's a mandatory league requirement for obvious reasons.

TRUJDUB21 and the_rickler repped this.
  19. 96er

96er Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Columbus
    My goodness yeah, I’m just imagining Don Garber rubbing his hands together salivating at the thought of the millions of eyeballs and advertising dollars that would roll in if Cincinnati were to advance to the Cup. No doubt he’s on the phone with the refs right now, conniving and scheming deviously about how to best dispose of the dastardly Columbus Screw so they don’t ruin his brilliant plan to get Cincinnati to the championship game.

Wow.

Minnman repped this.
  20. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have scored at least 2 un every PO game so far, though we need AET to do it in the last one.

Our 10 PO goals have cone from a wide array of players: Cucho (4, 1 PK), Arfsten, Nagbe, Amundsen, Matan, Rossi, Ramirez.

Assists: Rossi (3), Moreira, Yeboah, Morris, Cucho, Matan, Molino.

In four games, our front 3 attackers all have goals and assists. Cucho with 4 G & 1 A. Ramirez & Arfsten have goals off the bench. Plus Nagbe & Amundsen chip in with a goal each.

Rossi has 3 PO assists to lead. Cucho & Matan with one each, as does Yeboah. Morris & Molino also with one.

Yeboah's assist is the only scoring contribution from the WBs, but improved D may be more important.

TRUJDUB21 and Bill Archer repped this.
  21. Crew96Fan

Crew96Fan Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that this "investigation" will wrap up just after Cincy loses and he will be suspended for the 1st and 2nd games of next season.

POdinCowtown and TrueCrew repped this.
  22. Meddlin' Truckstop Owner

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 21, 2022
    #22 Meddlin' Truckstop Owner, Nov 28, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2023

Cincinnati is notoriously fickle as a sports market, attendance dropping when a team does not compete. Making a final helps solidify FCC's position in the market.

And, in recent times, nothing helps future expansion fees projections like an newer team succeeding.

Also, sports leagues and their broadcast partners love new, fresh narratives that can draw in casuals.

FCC is fresh, the Crew aren't.

I don't think anyone is scheduling a conference call.

I also think match officials are human and will feel pressure to make sure FCC gets every benefit of the doubt, especially at home.

Saturday's goal vs the Union felt that way.

TrueCrew and stanger repped this.
  23. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's make it an AAA kind of day.

24. Meddlin' Truckstop Owner

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 21, 2022

See my post above.

I think the match officials will be under tremendous pressure Saturday to give FCC every benefit of the doubt.

No one has to tell the match officials anything.

25. Big J 0526

Big J 0526 Member+

Columbus Crew SC
    United States
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets party like its 2008!