Crew article in USA Today

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by brianzappa, Oct 21, 2004.

1. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like this bit:

"When we got back from the game in Chicago where we clinched the Eastern Conference championship, we get to the airport and there are between 50-100 people cheering, banging those noisemakers together," Fraser says. "It was so great to get off the plane and be greeted by that. I can't imagine that in many other communities in the league."

3. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Fraser made it a point last night during the awards ceremony to say this is the best 'team' and 'coaching staff' he's ever been a part of in his 9 years in the league. You could tell that he meant it, there were obvious signs in the way he said it and the tone in his voice to infer in the past he hasn't been pleased with his relationship with past coaches <IE: Hankinson in Colorado>

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Thats a great article. made my morning.

5. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Co! Lum! Bus!

Co-lum-bus
    Co-lum-bus
    Co-lum-bus

6. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I didn't know fans came together at the airport to welcome the players home, that's huge. And it's not even the hardcore nuts like us it seems that made this happen, it was just the regular fans..and that's a good thing.

7. crewzer1308

crewzer1308 New Member

May 11, 2004
    Ohio
    wow that article made my day. At the end when Robin said "When we got back from the game in Chicago where we clinched the Eastern Conference championship, we get to the airport and there are between 50-100 people cheering, banging those noisemakers together," Fraser says. "It was so great to get off the plane and be greeted by that. I can't imagine that in many other communities in the league." I was there and the whole team was schocked! I guess the fans deserve the title "America's Hardest Supporting Fans"

8. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great article.

Now go win the whole fvckin thing?

9. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There was also a little ditty about the fact that HSG had the two top finishing teams in their respective conference...anyone catch it?

They had better be pulling for Columbus...

10. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YAY! This article makes me so happy! :D

11. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article does not happy me make.

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Just more motivation for the guys. Very few writers are giving them a chance depsite the season they've had.

13. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fine with me too. They'll still be calling bullsh!t if and when we do take the whole thing. F them.

14. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    irony on this thread for me, I replied to a Dure posting as being weirdly short sighted once, now I'm posting on a thread about a Dure piece, responding to a connoly piece as being, well, stupid. new england over c-bus? wtf?

Go Crew!!

my best chance to catch a match this year is nov 6 at crew stadium if they take care of new england.

Go Crew!

15. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I've started to notice a growing indianapolis crew fan contingent on this board. nice.

16. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    since indy is probably never getting a team, and being a life-long mid west guy, my choices are the crew or the fire to pull for. being that I've always been a hejduk fan, and columbus is a much nicer place to visit, Go Crew!

17. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

You are clearly a man of values and good taste.

18. cleat/less

cleat/less New Member

May 7, 2004
    hoosier-land
    thanks.

here's for hoppin I'm in crew stadium nov 6!

GO CREW!

19. CrewVillain

CrewVillain Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Notice that he doesn't give any analysis - just a couple of well known facts.

Nothing comparing the teams style of play. No match-ups. No history of the teams this year or past seasons. Connolly isn't a journalist.

Someone with no soccer knowledge could have written that from the press release.

20. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

EXACTLY

I mean...Metrostars over D.C. United???

Um...ok :rolleyes:

21. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a load of Horse $hit...

22. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever you do, stay away from Hang, he's bad news...

23. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Take it from a neutral fan. I like Connolly, but he's off his rocker on this one. He's got the three hottest teams in MLS (Columbus, DCU, and KC, probably in that order) all going down? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

I'll have to dig through the couch and cough up the scratch to lay 10 to 1 odds against that one.

24. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take it easy. Connolly just took the safe route, the easy way out: he went with the home team in every match except Colorado, where he picked the vastly superior team.

He's just thinks he's being cagey and cute, knowing that MLS teams, particularly in the playoffs, are the better bet. He's not making any judgements about the matchups, which is the disappointing part.

He could have written and interesting piece, gone over some of the matchups and then expressed an opinion based on the talent and the strengths, etc.

Instead he mailed it in. I was one of Connolly's earliest and most vociferous supporters when he was new and worked hard at it. I said repeatedly here and elsewhere that I thought he was going to be the first great American soccer reporter.

Lately though he reminds me of Jeff Bradley or Alexi's kid brother: sitting around contemplating his navel and typing up the kid of "s[ortswriter" crapola you could get from any second rate clock puncher.

It's a shame.

25. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's a step up from the Connolly piece, though not as nice as the Bure one.

Wahl does an OK job of looking into the first-round matchups with history and some insight into player matchups. Then he sort of says "oh I think that's good enough I'll just can the rest of the playoffs."

Though to his credit the Conference finals and Cup could depend largely on how the teams play in the first-round series so it can be hard to predict how the rest of the playoffs should go.