Crew 2022 to '23 Off-season Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by TrueCrew, Oct 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What’s crazy is TransferMarket has valued Arthur around $3.5M the last few seasons. I think he’s 3rd most valuable on the Crew. And then we trade him for $300k? Why not sell abroad? Gotta be somebody willing to buy his contract.

2. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are just estimates, and the ones for MLS players aren’t very accurate. Paxton Aaronson just went for $4 million to Eintract Frankfurt. He has potential, many people say he has a higher ceiling than his brother Aaron. If he’s $4 million, no way Artur is $3.5 million.

3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, am looking forward to hearing Ben Olsen scream "ARTIE!!!!" from the sidelines if/when we play Houston next year.

Ball Kicker repped this.
  4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I mentally didn't grasp that he went for so little. That's a fire sale price.

Ball Kicker repped this.
  5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeez, teams get what now for trading an int’l player roster spot? $100K+ in GAM? The guy’s only 26, and was a starter for an MLS Cup wining team two years ago.

There must be lingering concerns over whether he’s fully past the osteitis pubis condition that basically cost him an entire season.

Either that, or the Crew got (s)crewed on this deal.

6. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Crew pick up his option only to trade him. Not sure I understand the method/mechanics behind that. I love Artie. He really settled into life in Columbus. But he hasn't been able to stay healthy. I wish him...and Sanch the best. But I think the timing of letting both go was probably right. Now we must replace them and it better be upgrades. Bez has a lot of work to do to fill out this roster over the next few months. Why do I feel like we will go into training camp without a full roster?

7. speedye1

speedye1 Member+

Dec 31, 2002
    What is other option for our beloved Crew, not pickup option and let him go elsewhere on free?

8. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't played over 2000 minutes since 2019. Zero offensive passing ability. I don't mind moving on from him,

9. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Black Friday sale!

Ch(Elsey) and Bill Archer repped this.
  10. catfish9

catfish9 Member+

Jul 14, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like I said I'm not keen on mechanics of move. I just assumed when they picked up option they planned to keep him. But you're right at least they got something for him.

11. GoCrew1996

GoCrew1996 Member+

Jan 20, 2007
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We're taking about the same Artur we all saw last year right? 350k plus his full salary off the books seems like highway robbery.

12. TRUJDUB21

TRUJDUB21 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Sep 28, 2021
    He has potential but with the injury history I’m ok with this move.

im interested in how much DC paid Pedro if it similar too the 600k then they are stupid. If it’s league minimum we are stupid. So I’m guessing we made the correct move there .

but with the lack of talent at winger hope we made a reasonable contract offer to DEJ. Let him test FA and if someone overpays for him they can have him.

the fact he hasn’t signed yet leads me to believe nobody has offered him as much as he thinks he is worth which is probably higher than reality.

13. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Etienne signed with Atlanta like a week ago.

14. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    Link?

He was visiting ATL and they were interested in signing him but that was the last I saw.

TrueCrew, TRUJDUB21 and FootyHooligan32 repped this.
  15. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta put out a 90 second video showing some Etienne highlights and saying they signed him, but then that video got pulled off YouTube. Someone must’ve put it up before they were supposed to.

16. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alert: Incoming silliness

Crew supposedly interested in 20 year old American winger Joshua Pynadath, who's currently in the netherlands with AZ Alkmaars youth side.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  17. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We signed Romain Gall from nowhere before, ditto with guys like Matan and Yeboah. I have no idea if it’s true or not, but it wouldn’t be the wildest signing ever. Must be something to it, who would make something like this up?

TRUJDUB21 repped this.
  18. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #243 Tobias C, Nov 27, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
    If the guys been hanging around the likes of Ajax and AZ and even Chelsea...more than one relevant person in European football rates the dude. I have no actual idea.....but sounds more promising than Matan or Yeboah. USMNT youth player. Obviously american citizenship so no int. spot needed. Salary wise he would most likely only be a TAM signing, if hes a DP it would only be because of the transfer fee and that designation would drop off...

My first though is that if hes getting that kind of attention from strong programs in Europe, it probably doesnt make sense for him to come home and play in MLS. But while 20 doesnt sound old.....its not super super young for a guy whos been in top academies and played for solid 2nd teams (Real Madrid, Ajax) for the better part of a decade. Maybe it makes sense for him to drop down a level to MLS so he can play legit pros but at level where he can start to put together a solid body of work? He just joined AZ though so im not sure it makes sense for him to leave already without seeing what he can accomplish there...

19. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yaw Yeboah was in Man City’s academy.

20. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You'd have to ask @TrueCrew but he might be eligible to be a young international DP or whatever it is which means he'd be off budget. I think.

21. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamal Miller would be a good signing if we bring in Nancy. Left sided Canadian CB. We could put Degenek on the right, Mensah in the middle, and Miller on the left. Williams is a sub that can play any of those positions.

Tobias C and Paul171121 repped this.
  22. Captain Invader

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 25, 2005
    Lake County (Ohio)
    Well, we are not getting Messi. Fox World Cup studio show reporting going to Inter Miami this summer (2023).

23. OzweegoSC

OzweegoSC Member

Dec 10, 2007
    CMH
    Uhhh....after that performance I want him nowhere near this team. He was god awful.

FootyHooligan32 repped this.
  24. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s a decent MLS player, like all of Canada’s players. Canada was always gonna struggle against non-CONCACAF teams. They only have three players that play at a good level (Davies, Eustaqio, David). You could argue Larin and Buchanan as well, but Belgium ain’t all that.

Tobias C repped this.
  25. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Artur is serviceable but should not be starting ahead of Morris. This is an understandable move. But until we replace Artie, Santos, and Etienne, we are a much weaker squad ATM.

However, the 3 guys we let go (Artur, Etienne, Santos) are all still productive players. Letting them go does not give us the ability to sign a DP, and none of our current crop can be bought down unless the rules change (Zelarayan, Cucho, Nagbe).

My issue is that I do not have a great deal of confidence in our ability to make prudent buys with the money. Matan, Igbekeme, and Yeboah seem total busts. And Molino was a gamble we lost (so far). I get that it os harder to jettison guys who are not productive AND expensive, but protecting Matan was just crazy.

TRUJDUB21 repped this.