Crest/Kit/Name?

Discussion in 'Ottawa Fury FC' started by AdamSoucie, Mar 6, 2009.

1. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know the bid's website has a placeholder crest, but I doubt that becomes the final product.

Does anyone have any ideas on crests, kits, or even a team name?

2. Paddy C

Paddy C Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Taunton
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    How about the Ottawa Internationals?

3. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Or in soccer terms... Inter Ottawa

4. Paddy C

Paddy C Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Taunton
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I like that Fandes... but some on these boards will accuse you of being a euro-wannabee for suggesting that name.

5. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I posted this in a earlier thread...

[​IMG]

6. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, if you look at the MLS you will find plenty of Euro-Wannabbe, starting with Toronto FC, FC Dallas, Real Salt Lake, DC United... These names are all euro-influenced.

Inter (for International) is used in Europe but hasn't been used in MLS yet. It reflects what we want to bring to Ottawa, an international flavour (remember *bring the world to ottawa* ?). And the name would be indentical in English and French...

Inter Ottawa

7. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ottawa F.C. A normal club name that is traditional and been used since the sport was invented. The supporters can pick the nickname and use it outside of the official club name. Like what's done in the rest of the world or similar to how Arsenal is called the "Gunners" or TFC is called the "Reds", etc.

8. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    While I appreciate the traidition, I guess we sould like the CFL when the Roughriders play the Rough Riders...

So it would sound strange to my North American ears to have Toronto FC play FC Dallas, then the winner plays Ottawa FC.... So whatever happens, FC wins. ;)

9. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There are all the obvious (boring?) names (mainly Euro inspired): Ottawa FC, Ottawa United, Ottawa City, Ottawa Rangers, Ottawa Capitals, AC Ottawa, Ottawa Celtics, Ottawa Dynamos, Ottawa Nationals, Ottawa Power etc

My personal favourite: Ottawa Spartans. We have ancient Rome covered with the Senators, so how about ancient Greece? Melnyk would even save the expense of designing a new mascot; Spartacat would still fit.

If you are stuck for ideas, try http://www.nasl.com/articles/team_names.htm

I would like red for the kit, but I guess that is taken by TFC, so how about black, a soccer version of the Sens new jersey?

10. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    If you don't think of the Apple variety, there is merit to that! Same with Ottawa Gladiators... But while the Roman/Greek theme (trojans?) is good, I would probably still favour a soccer name that hasn't been used in MLS so far.

Hopefully if we get the team we will be able to have a name that team contest like the CanAm Baseball league just did with the Ottawa Voyageurs.

So we have:

Ottawa FC
    Inter Ottawa
    Ottawa Spartans

11. Blurrie

Blurrie New Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  13. FandesRens

FandesRens New Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Ottawa
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    We could also use:

Ottawa Rough Riders

or also if city council picks MLS over CFL

Ottawa Rough Rider Killers :rolleyes:

14. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I love it!!

15. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    Great idea, AdamSoucie.

I like Inter Ottawa for a name, except that there is already a local club called the Internationals. Voyageurs would have been perfect too.

Here's an exhaustive list of existing club names grouped by theme to spark-up some ideas:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_club_names

I'd like a Latin name because it would be bilingual and would tie-in well with the Senators' Roman theme. Our own version of Juventus.

Here's a good online dictionary in case anybody wants to try it out and suggest some names:

http://www.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl

I like "Ottawa Civitas" (Civitas = a union of citizens, state, commonwealth; the inhabitants of a city). Nicknames in English would be "Ottawa City" or just "City", in French "les Citadins". I think it would chant pretty well too.

16. ChicagoFC (FireClub)

Jan 25, 2009
    Logan Square
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    first good idea I've heard

17. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    FC is not a mascot for crying out loud.

how about Toronto wins or Dallas wins? Nicknames are more important then the cities they represent in sports these days and that needs to change.

18. loben52

loben52 New Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Citadel FC of Ottawa

cit⋅a⋅del

[​IMG]  1. a fortress that commands a city and is used in the control of the inhabitants and in defense during attack or siege. 2. any strongly fortified place; stronghold. 3. (formerly) a heavily armored structure on a warship, for protecting the engines, magazines, etc.
    www.dictionary.com

Fitting for a nations capital

lots of play off the name etc etc.

19. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    I like it a lot! Except there's only one citadel in Canada and that's in Québec City.

And they also had a hockey team called the Citadelles.

20. Paddy C

Paddy C Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Taunton
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    TONS of successful clubs are just their city or section of their city followed by or preceded by FC or a similar abbreviation.

Liverpool FC, Chelsea FC, Sunderland FC, FC Barcelona, AC Milan, SC Braga, FC Porto, FC Copenhagen.

Those clubs also each have their own nicknames -- the Reds, the Blues, the Lions, what have you. These can be given by the fans, the press, etc. They don't HAVE to be an official part of the club's name. They can be official or unofficial. I don't think it's necessary personally.

21. Ottawa MLS Fan

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ottawa Partizans (or Partizan Ottawa, if you want to copy Partizan Belgrade).

partizan
    adjective
    1. devoted to a cause or party [syn: partisan] [ant: nonpartisan]
    noun
    1. an ardent and enthusiastic supporter of some person or activity [syn: enthusiast] 2. a pike with a long tapering double-edged blade with lateral projections; 16th and 17th centuries [syn: partisan]

22. AdamSoucie

AdamSoucie New Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would the team want to be partisan though? I like the route you're going though, finding deeper meaning that just FC or Athletic. Having a name that identifies the city, while not necessarily being "mascot-y" is the best route IMHO.

23. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    The flag of the city of Ottawa:

[​IMG]

I think the 'placeholder' crest is brilliant.

24. andpro

andpro New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    Ottawa
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Oh how you are wrong. Although Quebec city does have a citadel Halifax was the first to have an AHL team named the citadels, named after our citadel hill. A few years after the Halifax teamed moved the citadelle name was brought to Quebec city.

So Quebec city does not have Canada's only citadel.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_George,_Nova_Scotia

25. Coup de boule

Coup de boule Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Ottawa
    Well colour me corrected.